* git useage question
@ 2011-06-04 22:05 Jude DaShiell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-04 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
instance on a machine?

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-04 22:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-04 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> instance on a machine?

What's unreasonable about the doc?

If you don't have any local changes, see

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_2

If you *do* have local changes, see

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_3

Nick

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-04 22:32   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Compare that documentation with the documentation written for
micro-emacs, that should give you an idea what I mean by reasonable
documentation.  Also, thanks for the faq pointers.

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> > org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> > instance on a machine?
> >

> What's unreasonable about the doc?
>
> If you don't have any local changes, see
>
>    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_2
>
> If you *do* have local changes, see
>
>    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_3
>

> Nick

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-04 23:17 ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-06-04 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:05:47 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> instance on a machine?

I wouldn't be writing this if your comment were reasonable.

The following should be more than sufficient:
  - http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
  - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current

In the *highly unlikely* case that it isn't:
  You're probably already aware of this (though this awareness may be
  temporarily impeded due to Saturday night related inebriation), but
  it's worth noting that Org-mode's documentation documents Org-mode.

  Org-mode != git, otherwise it would be called git instead of Org-mode, see?

  Kindly refer to some relevant (and extremely abundant) documentation:
  - http://git-scm.com/documentation

Peace

--
Pieter

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-04 23:26   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-04 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pieter Praet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

1) so we understand each other.  My complaint has nothing to do with
   org-mode's documentation and everything to do with the documentation
   for git itself.On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Pieter Praet wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:05:47 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> > org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> > instance on a machine?
>
> I wouldn't be writing this if your comment were reasonable.
>

> The following should be more than sufficient:
>   - http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current
>

> In the *highly unlikely* case that it isn't:
>   You're probably already aware of this (though this awareness may be
>   temporarily impeded due to Saturday night related inebriation), but
>   it's worth noting that Org-mode's documentation documents Org-mode.
>
>   Org-mode != git, otherwise it would be called git instead of Org-mode, see?
>
>   Kindly refer to some relevant (and extremely abundant) documentation:
>   - http://git-scm.com/documentation
>

> Peace

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05  0:06     ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-06-05  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:26:54 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> 1) so we understand each other.  My complaint has nothing to do with
>    org-mode's documentation and everything to do with the documentation
>    for git itself. [...]

Oh, I see :D

So your query should have been directed to the git mailing list [1],
but I admit that whether it would've garnered any useful responses is
rather doubtful.

Assuming you have no prior experience with distributed version control,
the following should be a very clear and concise introduction:
- http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/
- http://hoth.entp.com/output/git_for_designers.html
- http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/

It's really worth the effort, as it'll pay back in no time.

Very soon you'll wonder how you've ever been able to work without it ;)

> [...] On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Pieter Praet wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:05:47 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > > I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> > > org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> > > instance on a machine?
> >
> > I wouldn't be writing this if your comment were reasonable.
> >

> > The following should be more than sufficient:
> >   - http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
> >   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current
> >

> > In the *highly unlikely* case that it isn't:
> >   You're probably already aware of this (though this awareness may be
> >   temporarily impeded due to Saturday night related inebriation), but
> >   it's worth noting that Org-mode's documentation documents Org-mode.
> >
> >   Org-mode != git, otherwise it would be called git instead of Org-mode, see?
> >
> >   Kindly refer to some relevant (and extremely abundant) documentation:
> >   - http://git-scm.com/documentation
> >

> > Peace

Peace

[1] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git

--
Pieter

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05  1:21     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-05  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Pieter Praet

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> Compare that documentation with the documentation written for
> micro-emacs, that should give you an idea what I mean by reasonable
> documentation.  Also, thanks for the faq pointers.

and

> 1) so we understand each other.  My complaint has nothing to do with
>    org-mode's documentation and everything to do with the documentation
>    for git itself.

[was there supposed to be a 2) etc?]

1) It would have helped if you had said that to begin with: I was left
   wondering what "that" documentation was. And the comparison with the
   micro-emacs doc was entirely impenetrable to me. Can you provide a
   pointer to that doc? Daniel Lawrence's site seems to be gone.

2) For git, Pieter provided some appropriate links. I'll take the
   opportunity to recommend Scott Chacon's book (http://progit.org/book).

3) For future reference, here are pointers to a couple of useful
   documents on how to ask questions and how to submit bug reports:

   The first is linked from the main orgmode page (http://orgmode.org);
   the second is linked from the "How to contribute" page on Worg
   (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html). I recommend both of
   these to everybody.

Nick

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05  2:45       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-05  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Pieter Praet

The only place microemacs might be by now could be some orphan version of
the simtel archives.  Taken down but last I knew not entirely removed from
the internet. On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>
> > Compare that documentation with the documentation written for
> > micro-emacs, that should give you an idea what I mean by reasonable
> > documentation.  Also, thanks for the faq pointers.
> >

> and
>
> > 1) so we understand each other.  My complaint has nothing to do with
> >    org-mode's documentation and everything to do with the documentation
> >    for git itself.
>
> [was there supposed to be a 2) etc?]
>
> 1) It would have helped if you had said that to begin with: I was left
>    wondering what "that" documentation was. And the comparison with the
>    micro-emacs doc was entirely impenetrable to me. Can you provide a
>    pointer to that doc? Daniel Lawrence's site seems to be gone.
>
> 2) For git, Pieter provided some appropriate links. I'll take the
>    opportunity to recommend Scott Chacon's book (http://progit.org/book).
>
> 3) For future reference, here are pointers to a couple of useful
>    documents on how to ask questions and how to submit bug reports:
>
>      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>      http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
>
>    The first is linked from the main orgmode page (http://orgmode.org);
>    the second is linked from the "How to contribute" page on Worg
>    (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html). I recommend both of
>    these to everybody.
>
> Nick

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05 10:50 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-06-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The only place microemacs might be by now could be some orphan version of
the simtel archives.  Taken down but last I
> knew not entirely removed from the internet.

Does not seem to match the data here
http://git.kernel.org/?p=editors/uemacs/uemacs.git;a=summary
Note the dates (and the owner)

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05 13:27 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-06-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

uemacs is not microemacs those are two entirely different products and
Daniel Lawrence was responsible for microemacs.  Not only that for
screen reader users in dos, uemacs wrote to the screen incorrectly and
too fast for screen readers to speak.

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > The only place microemacs might be by now could be some orphan version of
> the simtel archives.  Taken down but last I
> > knew not entirely removed from the internet.
>
> Does not seem to match the data here
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=editors/uemacs/uemacs.git;a=summary
> Note the dates (and the owner)

* Re: git useage question
@ 2011-06-05 16:40 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-06-05 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> instance on a machine?

If you set up the clone correctly (assuming you use a local branch for
keeping your customizations to the Makefile), all you need to do is

$ git pull && make clean && make install

But there's literally hundreds of different ways to configure things
depending on what you want to do.  Please check the orgmode FAQ if one
of the "recipes" for using Git+Orgmode there does what you want,
otherwise you will have to learn about Git first (or in parallel).  If
you want to experiment with Git, you can always do another clone locally
so you have something to play with that can be thrown away if you mess
it up.

Achim.