* outline path in links
@ 2011-01-13 18:18 Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-01-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all

What do you think about having _outline path in links_ as described in
the following?

I have seen that an outline path like `Bach/Prelude' can be used to
refile notes into a heading `Prelude' that has a parent heading named
`Bach'. An outline path like `Chopin/Prelude' refiles into a different
heading with the same name `Prelude' but with a different parent
heading named `Chopin'.

Now I wondered if the link type [[*Bach/Prelude]] could be used to
_link_ to the first outline path above. This link type would be even
_plainer plain text_ and easier to add to a Org buffer than the link
type [[#Bach/Prelude]] because the latter requires to manually add the
property `:CUSTOM_ID: Bach/Prelude'

I think that such an outline path in links could be possible even
without the need of adding a new variable org-link-use-outline-path
similar to the existing variable org-refile-use-outline-path: Like
today the link [[*Orchestersuite/Ouverture]] would still match a
heading named `Orchestersuite/Ouverture' (both words on the same
heading level with a literal slash as part of the heading name) but
additionally the link [[*Bach/Orchestersuite/Ouverture]] then would
match this heading only if it has a parent heading named `Bach'. This
would not be the simplest way to implement but in my opinion the
priority should be to have as less config variables as possible. Even
better if the code that gives this flexibility could also be used for
refiling with outline path and the variable
org-refile-use-outline-path could be dropped.

Michael

* Re: outline path in links
@ 2011-04-06 17:24 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-04-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all

In the meantime I realized that for a good stability of the document
consistency it is a rather bad idea to have the name of a parent
heading like `Bach' to be part of the key to the item `Prelude' for
the [[*Bach/Prelude]] link mentioned earlier. Therefore I will instead
use :ID: links with the automatically inserted UUID (see `C-h v
org-link-to-org-use-id RET'). Thanks a lot for :ID: links.

Michael