emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Re: org-odt (Applying custom templates)
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTinXCvCcfT1guBtf=-dcqQrqvX2GOwc_7SapZeCD@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-03-23 11:38           ` Jambunathan K
  2011-03-23 19:13             ` Jambunathan K
  2011-06-28 19:48             ` Vinh Nguyen
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-03-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2981 bytes --]


Vinh

Thanks for trying org-odt and suggesting improvements. 

I delayed the response to earlier mail because your request needed some
background work. 

I made an `almost official' release a few weeks ago. May be you like to
try it out and give your feedback?

> Also, is there an option to control the border options for tables
> produced from org-odt?  This will be used mainly for alignment issues.

Border and alignment are two different things. I am not sure what you
mean here.

org-odt's implementation of tables is very similar to that of
org-htmls. You would get horizontal rulers separating rowgroups and
vertical rulers based on colgroup cookies.

> In addition, is there a way to set up a header, or some text, before
> the title, similar to the attached file (including the image)?  I
> don't mind if the solution is pasting some raw xml code in the
> org-mode file, as this part will remain constant.

What is required is that you extract styles.xml and any images files
 that it referenced from your odt/ott file and instruct org-odt.el to
 package these files in the resulting directory. You can do these
 manually.

I also have a prototype code (that is not committed yet) that achieves
the above functionality. 

See the attached output file and you could see that the headers are
getting repeated on all pages.

On customization side of things, I am little bit uncertain what would be
the best way to apply custom styles while also having the user feel
happy about the document that comes out as a result. (When I apply your
styles.xml to override my Org's very own styles file, the resulting
output file is not pleasing to the eye (for example, Headings are
unstylized) This is because your styles.xml doesn't specify styles for
'Heading 2' while for some strange reason - partly because of it's
ancestry org-odt.el - is emitting Headings from level 2 onwards)

I am open to hearing what orgers think on this front. I would go very
slow on the customization side of things unless some consensus or clariy
emerges.


> If I can do something like the attached file, I think I can do away
> with all my word processing needs in emacs org-mode (except files I
> have to collaborate with).

Good to know that. It is possible with minimal efforts.


>> When I use "O", this buffer also appears in emacs, along with the file
>> opening up in OpenOffice.
>>
>> Again, anyway to suppress this?

C-x k :-)

I want the test.odt file to be opened in archive-mode because it would
help me in gathering debugging information from users. Users also can
see what goes within the odt file.

This buffer is going to stay atleast till such time as I am confident
that it has served it's purpose..

A request from my side. I would appreciate if you CC the emacs-orgmode
list. I see two advantages, I can quickly lookup the article (without
having to dig through mailboxes) and there could be others who would be
interested in participating in these discussions.

Jambunathan K.


[-- Attachment #2: vinh.odt --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 70655 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: test.odt --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 53831 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: Type: text/plain, Size: 5 bytes --]


-- 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: org-odt (Applying custom templates)
  2011-03-23 11:38           ` org-odt (Applying custom templates) Jambunathan K
@ 2011-03-23 19:13             ` Jambunathan K
  2011-06-28 19:48             ` Vinh Nguyen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-03-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vinh

>> In addition, is there a way to set up a header, or some text, before
>> the title, similar to the attached file (including the image)?  I
>> don't mind if the solution is pasting some raw xml code in the
>> org-mode file, as this part will remain constant.
>
> What is required is that you extract styles.xml and any images files
>  that it referenced from your odt/ott file and instruct org-odt.el to
>  package these files in the resulting directory. You can do these
>  manually.
>
> I also have a prototype code (that is not committed yet) that achieves
> the above functionality. 

I pushed a fix to my staging branch.

If you set the variable as below

(setq org-export-odt-styles-file
      '("~/tmp-orgmode/Thu Thong Bao - Trai Ve Nguon XV (2011).odt"
	("styles.xml" "Pictures/10000000000002740000034B83A526F3.png")))

the styles.xml and header images would get copied on to the generated
odt file. 

If the desired styles.xml makes no references to other files (as in the
example above) then the above variable could be set to 

(setq org-export-odt-styles-file
      "~/tmp-orgmode/Thu Thong Bao - Trai Ve Nguon XV (2011).odt")

or 

(setq org-export-odt-styles-file "~/elisp/styles.xml")

In both the case org-odt's native styles file will be replaced by the
one that is specified (implicity or explicitly)

>
> See the attached output file and you could see that the headers are
> getting repeated on all pages.
>
> On customization side of things, I am little bit uncertain what would be
> the best way to apply custom styles while also having the user feel
> happy about the document that comes out as a result. (When I apply your
> styles.xml to override my Org's very own styles file, the resulting
> output file is not pleasing to the eye (for example, Headings are
> unstylized) This is because your styles.xml doesn't specify styles for
> 'Heading 2' while for some strange reason - partly because of it's
> ancestry org-odt.el - is emitting Headings from level 2 onwards)
>
> I am open to hearing what orgers think on this front. I would go very
> slow on the customization side of things unless some consensus or clariy
> emerges.

Jambunathan K.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: org-odt (Applying custom templates)
  2011-03-23 11:38           ` org-odt (Applying custom templates) Jambunathan K
  2011-03-23 19:13             ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-06-28 19:48             ` Vinh Nguyen
  2011-07-09  3:52               ` Jambunathan K
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Vinh Nguyen @ 2011-06-28 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jambunathan K

Hi Jumba,

Sorry for testing this out late.  Been busy.  See my comments below.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In addition, is there a way to set up a header, or some text, before
>> the title, similar to the attached file (including the image)?  I
>> don't mind if the solution is pasting some raw xml code in the
>> org-mode file, as this part will remain constant.
>
> What is required is that you extract styles.xml and any images files
>  that it referenced from your odt/ott file and instruct org-odt.el to
>  package these files in the resulting directory. You can do these
>  manually.
>
> I also have a prototype code (that is not committed yet) that achieves
> the above functionality.

Suppose I have styles.xml and
./Pictures/10000000000002740000034B83A526F3.png in the working
directory of my org file, both extracted from my original odt file
that I did myself.  What exactly must I do to get these files packaged
into the generated odt file?  How do I set org-export-odt-styles-file
in my org file?

Thanks!
-- Vinh

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: org-odt (Applying custom templates)
  2011-06-28 19:48             ` Vinh Nguyen
@ 2011-07-09  3:52               ` Jambunathan K
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-09  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


Vinh

> Suppose I have styles.xml and
> ./Pictures/10000000000002740000034B83A526F3.png in the working
> directory of my org file, both extracted from my original odt file
> that I did myself.  What exactly must I do to get these files packaged
> into the generated odt file?  How do I set org-export-odt-styles-file
> in my org file?

I have answered your question here.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-03/msg01512.html.

If you tell me what aspects are confusing I am willing to clarify.

I would appreciate if you could test it out on the org-odt that comes
with the contrib/lisp dir of git archive.

>
> Thanks!
> -- Vinh
>
>

-- 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-07-09  3:51 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <AANLkTikW7RiwS79utq2E4hquOLf1+BwfBWG-f_iK85JR@mail.gmail.com>
     [not found] ` <81pqqxyrq5.fsf@gmail.com>
     [not found]   ` <AANLkTik5UzLb-+krHo8dd7j9vux7HmoXP4oL8+QvgCeU@mail.gmail.com>
     [not found]     ` <81ei7cjpuy.fsf@gmail.com>
     [not found]       ` <AANLkTi=u-7mwRYN4CaNk74W0L2HtieSrB++iqnFAy+wn@mail.gmail.com>
     [not found]         ` <AANLkTinXCvCcfT1guBtf=-dcqQrqvX2GOwc_7SapZeCD@mail.gmail.com>
2011-03-23 11:38           ` org-odt (Applying custom templates) Jambunathan K
2011-03-23 19:13             ` Jambunathan K
2011-06-28 19:48             ` Vinh Nguyen
2011-07-09  3:52               ` Jambunathan K

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).