From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Cc: "Arnold, Travis" <tlarnold@radford.edu>,
	"emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	"Urs Rau (UK)" <urs.rau@om.org>
Subject: Re: Begginer using orgmode
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:34:14 -0500	[thread overview]

Ok -- it's settled. I was completely unfamiliar with org-mode on OS X
until about a month ago. I'm going to trash my installation, start
over from scratch, and write a beginner's version of setting this up
for OS X.

I'll probably take a week to get around to it, so others can chime in
during the interim (or write their own). I think this thread has shown
that this is heavily needed. The basic process is pretty simple, but I
know first hand that some emacs stuff can be pretty assuming when it
comes to how much knowledge instructions think one has.

In the meantime:
- install [aqua/Carbon] emacs
- install git for os x (I used this:
http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/)
- make a .elisp folder for elisp files
--- open a terminal and type: cd /Users/username
--- mkdir .elisp
--- cd .elisp
--- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
--- cd org.git
--- make [1]

- I created a default .emacs file
--- download it: https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/osx-emacs-config
--- save it as: /Users/username/.emacs
--- note that the config relies on the org stuff being in
/Users/username/.elisp/org.git

- start emacs and cross your fingers

Does that help at all? Just trying to get something on the books to
get everyone going. I realize that the Installation and Activation
instruction pages exist, but for those unfamiliar with emacs, perhaps
we need an "org-mode from scratch" set of pages on Worg for this?
Emacs can have that deer in the headlights effect on some folks (it
did to some extent for me), and if you've never heard of .emacs or .el
files, you can get a bit lost, I think. I'd be happy to start a
skeleton page for this which others could correct at will (I don't
expect my shot at it to be perfect). I've been using it on Linux for
over a year, just got it up on OS X a month or so ago, and will be
doing a fresh install on Windows 7 (new work computer) very shortly,
so steps should be fairly fresh in my mind.

Best regards,
John

[1] Someone can pipe in here, but is this necessary? I only ask
because not everyone with OS X will have installed the Developer Tools
and thus I don't think make will carry out without them. Though I
think one can run org fine with the source files uncompiled, right? I
also left out 'make doc' because I think that requires LaTeX? Or not?