* Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09  9:33 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-11-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to put a new note to the beginning of the
target subtree (directly under the heading) instead of
inserting after the last item?

I'm looking for something like org-archive-reversed-order, but
for org-remember.

It would be really nice if it could be set separately for subtrees,
because in some cases I want to store the new note as first
subheading while in case of other trees last is preferred.

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09  9:56 ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-11-09  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Is there a way to put a new note to the beginning of the
> target subtree (directly under the heading) instead of
> inserting after the last item?

Would org-reverse-note-order be of any use for this (from the org-remember PDF).

Tommy

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09 10:00   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-11-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly <at> verilab.com> writes:

> > Is there a way to put a new note to the beginning of the
> > target subtree (directly under the heading) instead of
> > inserting after the last item?
>
> Would org-reverse-note-order be of any use for this
> (from the org-remember PDF).

Yes, thank you. It seems promising.

The remaining question is: can it be set only for a specific subtree?

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09 10:05     ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-11-09 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can't see a way to do that. But if you switched to using org-capture
instead of org-remember, I *think* you can control placement of notes
on at least a per capture template basis, using each template's
:prepend property (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Template-elements).

Tommy

--
Tommy Kelly
+1 (512) 289-8262

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09 10:11       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-11-09 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly <at> verilab.com> writes:

> I can't see a way to do that. But if you switched to using org-capture
> instead of org-remember, I *think* you can control placement of notes
> on at least a per capture template basis, using each template's
> :prepend property (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Template-elements).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09 10:15       ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-11-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Actually it looks like you can have org-reverse-note-order be a wee
bit selective using a regexp. Customize implies it's only on a per
*file* basis but the doc is a bit unclear when it says:

"Non-nil means store new notes at the beginning of a file or entry.
When nil, new notes will be filed to the end of a file or entry.
This can also be a list with cons cells of regular expressions that
are matched against file names, and values."

I'm wondering what, if anything, is the significance of that "and
values". Seems to suggest you could select based on more than just
file names.

Still, remember seems to be deprecated these days, so capture is
probably a sensible move.

Tommy

* Re: Putting new to TODO/note to the beginning of the subtree
@ 2011-11-09 17:38         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Kelly; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Tom

On 9.11.2011, at 11:15, Tommy Kelly wrote:

> Actually it looks like you can have org-reverse-note-order be a wee
> bit selective using a regexp. Customize implies it's only on a per
> *file* basis but the doc is a bit unclear when it says:
>
> "Non-nil means store new notes at the beginning of a file or entry.
> When nil, new notes will be filed to the end of a file or entry.
> This can also be a list with cons cells of regular expressions that
> are matched against file names, and values."
>
> I'm wondering what, if anything, is the significance of that "and
> values". Seems to suggest you could select based on more than just
> file names.

No, please read this as

This can also be a list with cons cells of regular expressions (that
are matched against file names) and values.

So each cons cell has a regular expression in the car.  The
cdr is the value that org-reverse-note-order should have in
files matched by that regular expression.

Anyway, you will be much better off by switching to org-capture
which has more capabilities and fine-grained per-template
control.

HTH

- Carsten