* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-05-23 10:59 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2023-05-23 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:

> I've fiddled with org-edit-special and I see it has a major flaw, at least in my opinion.
> It inserts all changes without keeping track of the undos, as opposed to the indirect
> buffer solution, which also had the advantage of doing everything from a single buffer:
> it operates as some sort of 'window' on a part of the file, rather than feeling as some
> sort of out-of-the-normal operation. Aren't there other possibile use cases for indirect
> buffers in org mode? Why are they considered inferior to other solutions? I ask just
> for my understanding.
>
> (A combination of eldoc + org-edit-special might be rather affecting on the
> seamlessness of the workflow, but this is of course my simple personal opinion).

I've been playing with org-footnote-assistance, and this is again just
another opinion, but I'm also preferring the indirect buffer. It just
puts things in better perspective.

* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-05-24  9:03 ` Ihor Radchenko
       [not found]   ` <990C578F-176B-4166-868C-0BC59759CC19@gmail.com>
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-24  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payas Relekar; +Cc: Andrea Lazzarini, emacs-orgmode

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been playing with org-footnote-assistance, and this is again just
> another opinion, but I'm also preferring the indirect buffer. It just
> puts things in better perspective.

I'd prefer to integrate things with `org-edit-special', if possible.
Possibly extending `org-edit-special' functionality.

The pros for `org-edit-special' are that we can escape certain edge
cases. In particular, there is a known edge case when footnote
definition contains an src block with 2+ blank lines. The blank lines
are treated as the end of the footnote definition and src block is not
recognized. Also, `org-edit-footnote-reference' takes care about
removing common indentation.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Fwd: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
       [not found]   ` <990C578F-176B-4166-868C-0BC59759CC19@gmail.com>
@ 2023-05-26  9:08     ` Andrea Lazzarini
       [not found]       ` <877cria8f9.fsf@localhost>
From: Andrea Lazzarini @ 2023-05-26  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 24 mag 2023, alle ore 11:03, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> ha scritto:

> Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been playing with org-footnote-assistance, and this is again just
>> another opinion, but I'm also preferring the indirect buffer. It just
>> puts things in better perspective.
>
> I'd prefer to integrate things with `org-edit-special', if possible.
> Possibly extending `org-edit-special' functionality.
>
> The pros for `org-edit-special' are that we can escape certain edge
> cases. In particular, there is a known edge case when footnote
> definition contains an src block with 2+ blank lines. The blank lines
> are treated as the end of the footnote definition and src block is not
> recognized. Also, `org-edit-footnote-reference' takes care about
> removing common indentation.

I've tried to use org-edit-special with a src block with 2+ blank lines and the second #+end_src is not seen as part of the footnote.
Is this the edge problem you were addressing? I get the same result with the indirect buffer.

I'll try to implement at least footnote previewing functionalities with eldoc!

@ 2023-05-26  9:13     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-26  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini

Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:

> I've tried to use org-edit-special with a src block with 2+ blank lines and the second #+end_src is not seen as part of the footnote.
> Is this the edge problem you were addressing? I get the same result with the indirect buffer.

Yup, it is one of the edge problems that org-edit-special could (though
currently does not) address. Indirect buffer cannot easily address such
problems.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-07-03 15:32         ` Andrea Lazzarini
From: Andrea Lazzarini @ 2023-07-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Il giorno 2 lug 2023, alle ore 12:56, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> ha scritto:
>
> Hello,
>
> It has been over one month since the last message in this thread.
> Are you still interested to work on this feature? Do you need any help?

Hi,

I was busy with work and had less time to focus on this, sorry!
Well, sorry for the noob question but how do you suggest I fork the org.el file to start tinkering with it?
I would pass through the Org repository on Savannah, as specified here: https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html>.
What do you suggest for testing the changes? Should I then send a diff?

I guess I can manage to have the code I already produced working in org.el. In what section of it should the eldoc package be required?

Thank you so much.

* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-07-03 16:19           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-07-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:

> I was busy with work and had less time to focus on this, sorry!

No problem. Just wanted to make sure that this thread did not fall
through the cracks.

> Well, sorry for the noob question but how do you suggest I fork the org.el file to start tinkering with it?
> I would pass through the Org repository on Savannah, as specified here: https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html>.

You can just use git version of Org:
https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html

Then, you can edit the files directly there.

> What do you suggest for testing the changes? Should I then send a diff?

Depends on your familiarity with git.
The easiest for us would be attaching a patch, but you can also send a
diff, if it is easier for you.
We have all the details in
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#org0d9c39b

You can also use Magit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywEgcbaiys).

> I guess I can manage to have the code I already produced working in org.el. In what section of it should the eldoc package be required?

The eldoc setup should be somewhere inside

  (define-derived-mode org-mode outline-mode "Org"

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-09-02 10:09             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was busy with work and had less time to focus on this, sorry!
>
> No problem. Just wanted to make sure that this thread did not fall
> through the cracks.

It has been two months since the last message here.
If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to ask me anything.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-12-09 11:20               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-09 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> It has been two months since the last message here.

Closing due to inactivity.
Canceled.

"Closing" does not mean that this feature will not be accepted. I am
just removing it from the list of tracked tasks that require maintainer
attention.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,