* `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-16 15:18 Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-16 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of my favorite key cords is C-xC-/, which is bound to
`session-jump-to-last-change' from session.el (
http://emacs-session.sourceforge.net/).  If I'm editing a large file, it
allows me to revisit all the locations that I've "touched".  However, when
the related section is folded in org-mode, the point only moves to the
heading.

How hard would it be to have the section automatically expanded?

--
Le

* Re: `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-16 16:13 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-03-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can defadvice it to do org-reveal in org buffers.

Or wrap it.

--
AIDS 2.0 is here now:
  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

* Re: `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-16 16:27   ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I didn't know about `org-reveal'.  That could work.  But how do I
figure out if I need to expand the heading?  The last change could be to a
folded heading itself, in which case, it shouldn't be expanded.

Is there a org-goto-char type of function that always goes to that location
in the buffer, expanding sections along the way?

--

@ 2011-03-17  6:20     ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-17  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I didn't know about `org-reveal'.  That could work.  But how do I
> figure out if I need to expand the heading?  The last change could be to a
> folded heading itself, in which case, it shouldn't be expanded.
>
> Is there a org-goto-char type of function that always goes to that location
> in the buffer, expanding sections along the way?

I've solved it by advising goto-char like so:

(defadvice goto-char (around org-expand activate compile)
  (if (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
      (progn
        ad-do-it
        (org-reveal)
        ad-do-it)
    ad-do-it))

Can anyone see any problems with advising such a fundamental function?

--

@ 2011-03-17  7:02       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-17  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.3.2011, at 07:20, Le Wang wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I didn't know about `org-reveal'.  That could work.  But how do I figure out if I need to expand the heading?  The last change could be to a folded heading itself, in which case, it shouldn't be expanded.
>
> Is there a org-goto-char type of function that always goes to that location in the buffer, expanding sections along the way?
>
> I've solved it by advising goto-char like so:
>
> (defadvice goto-char (around org-expand activate compile)
>   (if (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
>       (progn
>         ad-do-it
>         (org-reveal)
>         ad-do-it)
>     ad-do-it))
>
> Can anyone see any problems with advising such a fundamental function?

Yes, this is certainly a very bad idea.  goto-char is used many times in lisp programs, also in Org, so executing normal Org functions will be slowed down and reveal parts that should not be revealed.

Instead you should be advising session-jump-to-last-change itself.
If you do not want to expand a full entry if the change was in
a headline, you can check for invisibility:

(defadvice session-jump-to-last-change (after org-expand activate compile)
  "Reveal hidden point after jumping."
  (when (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
	     (outline-invisible-p))
    (org-reveal)))

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-17  8:53         ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-17  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> (defadvice session-jump-to-last-change (after org-expand activate compile)
>  "Reveal hidden point after jumping."
>  (when (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
>             (outline-invisible-p))
>    (org-reveal)))

Thanks Carsten!  That's xactly what I wanted.  I'll coordinate with
session's author to get this change integrated.

--

@ 2011-03-17 14:27           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     (defadvice session-jump-to-last-change (after org-expand activate compile)
>      "Reveal hidden point after jumping."
>      (when (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
>                 (outline-invisible-p))
>        (org-reveal)))
>
> Thanks Carsten!  That's xactly what I wanted.  I'll coordinate with session's author to get this
> change integrated.

Why would you need to coordinate with the session author about advising
a function? It's your own personal advice and you can do whatever you
want. Of course, as Carsten pointed out, there is good advice and there
is bad advice, and you should only give good advice. But you are not
requesting any changes to the session code. You just stick the advice in
your .emacs and that's that.

Am I missing something?
Nick

* Re: `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-17 14:54             ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Why would you need to coordinate with the session author about advising
> a function? It's your own personal advice and you can do whatever you
> want. Of course, as Carsten pointed out, there is good advice and there
> is bad advice, and you should only give good advice. But you are not
> requesting any changes to the session code. You just stick the advice in
> your .emacs and that's that.
>
> Am I missing something?

The defadvice is a hack until session can be changed to not need it.  I
assume I won't be the only one to ever find this useful.

--

@ 2011-03-17 18:30               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-17 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Why would you need to coordinate with the session author about advising
>> a function? It's your own personal advice and you can do whatever you
>> want. Of course, as Carsten pointed out, there is good advice and there
>> is bad advice, and you should only give good advice. But you are not
>> requesting any changes to the session code. You just stick the advice in
>> your .emacs and that's that.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>

> The defadvice is a hack until session can be changed to not need it.  I
> assume I won't be the only one to ever find this useful.

Sure but I don't think it makes sense to customise the behaviour of
/session/ for /org/ specific issues?  The session code should be kept as
general as possible, I would suggest.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.77.g74268.dirty)

* Re: `session-jump-to-last-change' and org-mode
@ 2011-03-17 20:13                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-17 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.3.2011, at 19:30, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why would you need to coordinate with the session author about advising
>>> a function? It's your own personal advice and you can do whatever you
>>> want. Of course, as Carsten pointed out, there is good advice and there
>>> is bad advice, and you should only give good advice. But you are not
>>> requesting any changes to the session code. You just stick the advice in
>>> your .emacs and that's that.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>

>> The defadvice is a hack until session can be changed to not need it.  I
>> assume I won't be the only one to ever find this useful.
>
> Sure but I don't think it makes sense to customise the behaviour of
> /session/ for /org/ specific issues?  The session code should be kept as
> general as possible, I would suggest.

A good solution would be for session to provide a hook that we can use.

- Carsten

@ 2011-04-13  1:59                   ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-04-13  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> A good solution would be for session to provide a hook that we can use.

Christoph has submitted version 2.3a of session
http://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-session/files/session/

The required hook has been added, maybe someone who knows org-mode can
add it to the appropriate file?

From my .emacs:

(add-hook 'session-after-jump-to-last-change-hook
          (lambda ()