From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Konstantin Antipin <antipin.konstantin@googlemail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: timer for a task
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:45:54 +0200	[thread overview]

On May 26, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:

> Carsten, thank you for explanation.
> Hopefully, I will get FSF papers soon.
>
> In a meanwhile, here is another patch that introduces following
> changes:
>
>    In case we set effort estimate on the currently clocked item,
>    show message when time is up (notification is shown only once)
>     * Linux only: If libnotify is used - the standard notification
>       system in linux, then show notification with it.
>       Note: Additional package libnotify-bin should be installed.
>   Additionally, if variable org-clock-sound is set, interpret it as
> path to sound file
>   and play it (wav files only).
>     * If aplay (tool from alsa - standard linux sound system) is
> available play sound
>       with it (all type of files).
>
> So, if someone has interest in this features, please try it.
> I also would like to discuss If we want this functionality (sound and
> notification) in the core,
> or it is better to put it to the extension... Or, just introduce
> another variable that controls if we show notification or not...

I think we can put this into the core if:

- this will work without crashing on any system where Emacs runs on,
   i.e. if the re is no way to play a sound file, fall back to (ding)
   with a message or so...

> TODO:
> * As proposed by Daniel, give user an option to see total time, spend
> on the task instead of currently clocked time.
> In fact, this functionality requires refactoring of org-clock-sum
> function. Is it ok, if I do it?

Maybe you don't really need to refactor it:

     (save-restriction
       (org-narrow-to-subtree)
       (org-clock-sum)
       org-clock-file-total-minutes)

will give you the total clocked time in minutes.

- Carsten