* Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-18 15:10 Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2012-09-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi List,

I just pulled org-mode today (Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-244-g48ca87.dirty) and I'm seeing some strange behaviour with paragraph fill. Some examples:

If I start typing a definition list and let emacs wrap the text, I get this:

  - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
            lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv
            lkjsdn klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
            lkjsnd

If I turn autofill off (so all the text goes on one line, and then I M-x fill-paragraph RET, I get this:

  - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
    lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv lkjsdn
    klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsnd

And if I take the above with the text lined up under the word "test", and I hit tab on the 2nd line, I get this:

  - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
            lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv lkjsdn
    klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsnd

So it looks like autofill and tab indent are not doing the same thing. I *think* this started in 7.9. Or at least, I recall it working correctly in 7.8 :)

Thanks!

  -Anthony

* Re: Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-19  7:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi Anthony,

Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> writes:

> If I start typing a definition list and let emacs wrap the text, I get this:
>
>   - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
>             lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv
>             lkjsdn klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
>             lkjsnd

Yep, correct.

> If I turn autofill off (so all the text goes on one line, and then I M-x fill-paragraph RET, I get this:
>
>   - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
>     lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv lkjsdn
>     klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsnd

Mhh.. I don't get this, I get the description item as in your previous
example.

> And if I take the above with the text lined up under the word "test", and I hit tab on the 2nd line, I get this:
>
>   - test :: dsfjknv sldfknv lksdjnv lksdjnv lksdjnv lkjsdv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv
>             lkjnsdv lkjdsnv lkjnsdv lkjsndlv kjnsdv lkjsdnv lkjnsd lvkjsndv lkjsdn
>     klvjsnd fvlkjsdnfv lksjdn vlksdjnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsdnv lkjsnd

Which is correct.

> So it looks like autofill and tab indent are not doing the same
> thing. I *think* this started in 7.9. Or at least, I recall it working
> correctly in 7.8 :)

Can you confirm this error happens with no configuration (emacs -Q)?

 Bastien

* Re: Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-19 14:40   ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2012-09-19 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi Bastien,

> Can you confirm this error happens with no configuration (emacs -Q)?

After a bit of digging it seems to be a bad interaction between org-mode paragraph filling and filladapt-mode. If I disable filladapt, then everything works as expected.

Thanks, and sorry for not -Q'ing before posting.

@ 2012-09-19 16:48     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> writes:

> After a bit of digging it seems to be a bad interaction between org-mode
> paragraph filling and filladapt-mode. If I disable filladapt, then
> everything works as expected.

Yes -- we'll never say it enough: don't use filladapt.el with org-mode.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-19 18:10       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-19 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Anthony Lander

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> writes:
>
> > After a bit of digging it seems to be a bad interaction between org-mode
> > paragraph filling and filladapt-mode. If I disable filladapt, then
> > everything works as expected.
>
> Yes -- we'll never say it enough: don't use filladapt.el with org-mode.

It's probably worth adding a paragraph about this in the org manual,
section Miscellaneous/Interactions/Conflicts.

I'll try to add a paragraph to the FAQ, but I'll probably need to do
some research first.

Nick

* Re: Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-19 18:18         ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2012-09-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode Mode

On 12-Sep-19, at 2:10 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes -- we'll never say it enough: don't use filladapt.el with org-mode.
>
> It's probably worth adding a paragraph about this in the org manual,
> section Miscellaneous/Interactions/Conflicts.

Nick, the way to turn off filladapt for orgmode is to add the following to .emacs:

	(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-off-filladapt-mode)

That might save people some digging for how to do it.

@ 2012-09-19 20:52           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-19 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode Mode

Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> wrote:

> On 12-Sep-19, at 2:10 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes -- we'll never say it enough: don't use filladapt.el with org-mode.
> >
> > It's probably worth adding a paragraph about this in the org manual,
> > section Miscellaneous/Interactions/Conflicts.
>
> Nick, the way to turn off filladapt for orgmode is to add the following to .emacs:
>
> 	(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-off-filladapt-mode)
>
> That might save people some digging for how to do it.

Thanks for that. I added a question to the FAQ with a description of the
problem as I understand it and incorporating Anthony's suggestion above.
Please review and either fix or let me know of any problems.

Nick

* Re: Problem with paragraph fill / tab in lists
@ 2012-09-20 16:54             ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2012-09-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode Mode

On 12-Sep-19, at 4:52 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> wrote:

>>> It's probably worth adding a paragraph about this in the org manual,
>>> section Miscellaneous/Interactions/Conflicts.
>>
>> Nick, the way to turn off filladapt for orgmode is to add the following to .emacs:
>>
>> 	(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-off-filladapt-mode)
>>
>> That might save people some digging for how to do it.
>>

> Thanks for that. I added a question to the FAQ with a description of the
> problem as I understand it and incorporating Anthony's suggestion above.
> Please review and either fix or let me know of any problems.

That looks good to me. I'm sure that will save people a lot of frustration. Bastien, since org and filladapt are so incompatible, would you consider adding this as a strong recommendation on this page: http://orgmode.org/manual/Activation.html?

@ 2012-09-21  9:09               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode Mode

Anthony Lander <anthony@landerfamily.ca> writes:

> That looks good to me. I'm sure that will save people a lot of
> frustration. Bastien, since org and filladapt are so incompatible, would
> you consider adding this as a strong recommendation on this page:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Activation.html?

I pointed to the Conflicts section in general, as other conflicts are
also worth checking.

Thanks for suggesting this,

--
 Bastien