* How to log "diary" or "journal" entries
@ 2009-08-17 17:58 Christer Enfors
From: Christer Enfors @ 2009-08-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi. I discovered org-mode only last week, when I was looking around
for Outline editors. It matched every last one of my requirements, and
THEN some. It's awesome, as I'm sure you all know. As an added bonus,
I can even access my outlines by connecting to my home machine through
my phone's SSH client (my phone has a hardware keyboard and can fit
80x24 characters on the screen). And I've been using Emacs on and off
since 1995, so it was a perfect fit for me. I am *blown away*.

Anyway!

When I work on items, I like to add little "log" or "diary" entries in
the text, describing things that have happened or things that I've
done. Like this:

* Get SAD 2.0.1 ready for shipping
DEADLINE: 2009-08-21
[2009-08-17 07:58] I've been asked to get 2.0.1 ready as soon as
possible.

** DONE Fix errors in version 2.0.0
CLOSED: [2009-08-17]
- [X] Log file ownership and permissions
- [X] Wrong permissions on /usr/local
- [X] Admin menu inaccessible
[2009-08-17 10:03] After some tinkering around, I managed to fix all
bugs.

** TODO Test SAD 2.0.1
I should test using the latest replication software. I can get that
from Sven-Åke.

[2009-08-17 10:33] I need to find a machine to test with.

[2009-08-17 10:55] Found one! Carl says I can use his testing machine.

[2009-08-17 15:25] Ok, testing done. Found some bugs to fix.

See? Interspersed with the "normal" outline text, I put little log
notes, sometimes more than one per entry.

Now for my actual question: I want to see all these comments, from all
over the file in ONE place. Perhaps in the Agenda view? The timeline?
Perhaps in emacs's diary? It wouldn't hurt if this view also showed
when I had completed todos. The purpose of this would that I would be
able to look back at a specific day in the past, to see what I did
that day. This would be helpful when it's time to write the time
report.

Is this possible?

--
	             -=-=- Christer Enfors -=-=-

       "I do my music in pure machine code using an assembler."
			    - Rob Hubbard

* Re: How to log "diary" or "journal" entries
@ 2009-08-17 19:08 ` Bernt Hansen
       [not found]   ` <87iqgmdywi.fsf@azura.enfors.net>
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christer Enfors; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christer Enfors <enfors@enfors.net> writes:

> ** TODO Test SAD 2.0.1
> I should test using the latest replication software. I can get that
> from Sven-Åke.
>
> [2009-08-17 10:33] I need to find a machine to test with.
>
> [2009-08-17 10:55] Found one! Carl says I can use his testing machine.
>
> [2009-08-17 15:25] Ok, testing done. Found some bugs to fix.

> See? Interspersed with the "normal" outline text, I put little log
> notes, sometimes more than one per entry.
>
> Now for my actual question: I want to see all these comments, from all
> over the file in ONE place. Perhaps in the Agenda view? The timeline?
> Perhaps in emacs's diary? It wouldn't hurt if this view also showed
> when I had completed todos. The purpose of this would that I would be
> able to look back at a specific day in the past, to see what I did
> that day. This would be helpful when it's time to write the time
> report.
>
> Is this possible?

Pull up an agenda view for the day/week you are interested in viewing
then hit '[' to display inactive timestamps.

Does that do what you need?

-Bernt

@ 2009-08-17 19:34     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christer Enfors; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[cc-ed org-mode mailing list]

Christer Enfors <enfors@enfors.net> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Pull up an agenda view for the day/week you are interested in viewing
>> then hit '[' to display inactive timestamps.
>>
>> Does that do what you need?
>
> Unfortunately, no. It displays "[ " followed by the *title* of the
> item, instead of the *comment* that I've put next to the timestamp. It
> doesn't seem to matter if I put the comment before or after the
> timestamp.
>
> Also, things that I've read in the documentation seems to imply that
> org-mode only recognizes *one* timestamp per item, whereas I want to
> be able to have several timestamped comments per item.

Hmm yes it will show the headline and not the following text in the
agenda view.  I'm not sure if there is a way to do what you want
currently.

org-mode has no trouble with multiple timestamps for the same entry -
it'll list it each time it occurs in the agenda view.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: How to log "diary" or "journal" entries
       [not found]   ` <87iqgmdywi.fsf@azura.enfors.net>
@ 2009-08-17 23:29   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-08-17 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OMG I knew Carsten had added that, but its not in the manual! I just
checked, I don't see it in the key list under Agenda. I was looking
for it recently, thanks for cluing me in.

@ 2009-08-18  6:18     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-18  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russel,

it is now in org.texi, which means it will be in the manual
of the next release.  THe manual on the web gets only updated
for a release, not for each git push.

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-20 17:03 ` meingbg
From: meingbg @ 2009-08-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)