* Request - capture included in customize browser
@ 2010-10-26 17:32 Gez
From: Gez @ 2010-10-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've had my main system in org mode for a couple of weeks now and I'm getting on really well - it's an amazing tool.  I'm very grateful for it. And for the support here too.

I want to set up org-capture but cannot find it using M-x customize-apropos.  I'm guessing that the customize browser is a kind of interface that has to be written and hasn't yet been written for org-capture.  I'll get on with making my settings by hand, as it were, in the meantime, but this is a request please, for a customize interface for org-capture.

I've been doing all my configuring with the customize browser recently (after some early false starts copying, pasting and editing settings directly into my .emacs file).  I'm avoiding errors and I also find it better documented than the manual and really useful to see the context (the customize group).

Gez
(Windows XP, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, Org-mode version 7.01trans)

* Re: Request - capture included in customize browser
@ 2010-10-27  1:19 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Gez" <register@geekanddiva.com> writes:

> I've had my main system in org mode for a couple of weeks now and I'm getting on really well - it's an amazing
> tool.  I'm very grateful for it. And for the support here too.
>
> I want to set up org-capture but cannot find it using M-x customize-apropos.  I'm guessing that the customize
> browser is a kind of interface that has to be written and hasn't yet been written for org-capture.  I'll get on
> with making my settings by hand, as it were, in the meantime, but this is a request please, for a customize
> interface for org-capture.
>
> I've been doing all my configuring with the customize browser recently (after some early false starts copying,
> pasting and editing settings directly into my .emacs file).  I'm avoiding errors and I also find it better
> documented than the manual and really useful to see the context (the customize group).

C-h v org-capture-templates

and click on the _customize_ link.

HTH,
Bernt

* Bug? Capture not in customize until called by key (was Request - capture included in customize browser)
@ 2010-10-27  9:58   ` Gez
From: Gez @ 2010-10-27  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I wrote another post but it didn't thread properly - sorry.  Anyway, I've
tested further and it seems that the customize capture appears and
disappears.

Here's how to replicate, I hope.

With .emacs having no reference to capture (no key defined, no templates),
customize capture is inaccessible (not found via M-x customize-apropos nor
listed in the customize browser)

With .emacs having capture key defined, on each restart of emacs, customize
capture is likewise inaccessible, until the key combination is called (in my
case, C-c c), upon which capture appears both in the customize browser and
via M-x-customize-apropos - until the next restart.

So you can't use customize for capture until you've both defined a key for
it in .emacs and also called that key combination in the current session.  I
hope that's all clear enough.

From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-27 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Gez" <register@geekanddiva.com> writes:

Hi Gez,

I think the capture definitions are autoloaded the first time you
capture something.  If you add

(require 'org-capture)

in your .emacs then I think they will always be available.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Bug? Capture not in customize until called by key
@ 2010-10-27 13:35       ` Gez
From: Gez @ 2010-10-27 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> ... it seems that the customize capture appears
>> and disappears.
>>
>> Here's how to replicate, I hope.
>>
>> With .emacs having no reference to capture (no key defined, no
>> templates), customize capture is inaccessible (not found via M-x
>> customize-apropos nor listed in the customize browser)
>>
>> With .emacs having capture key defined, on each restart of emacs,
>> customize capture is likewise inaccessible, until the key combination
>> is called (in my case, C-c c), upon which capture appears both in the
>> customize browser and via M-x-customize-apropos - until the next
>> restart.
>>
>> So you can't use customize for capture until you've both defined a key
>> for it in .emacs and also called that key combination in the current
>> session.  I hope that's all clear enough.
>>

> Hi Gez,
>
> I think the capture definitions are autoloaded the first time you
> capture something.  If you add
>
> (require 'org-capture)
>
> in your .emacs then I think they will always be available.

Thank you, Bernt - that did it.  Much appreciated.

Just in case it's relevant, "Org Capture" appears just after "Org
Completion" in the list in the customize browser window now, whereas before
it was listed at the end, after "Org Protocol".  I suppose that's because of
the order of loading.

Gez

* Re: Bug? Capture not in customize until called by key (was Request - capture included in customize browser)
@ 2010-10-27 14:10     ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-10-27 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gez; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Gez <register@geekanddiva.com> wrote:
> I wrote another post but it didn't thread properly - sorry.  Anyway, I've
> tested further and it seems that the customize capture appears and
> disappears.
>
> Here's how to replicate, I hope.
>
> With .emacs having no reference to capture (no key defined, no templates),
> customize capture is inaccessible (not found via M-x customize-apropos nor
> listed in the customize browser)
>
> With .emacs having capture key defined, on each restart of emacs, customize
> capture is likewise inaccessible, until the key combination is called (in my
> case, C-c c), upon which capture appears both in the customize browser and
> via M-x-customize-apropos - until the next restart.
>
> So you can't use customize for capture until you've both defined a key for
> it in .emacs and also called that key combination in the current session.  I
> hope that's all clear enough.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernt Hansen" <bernt@norang.ca>
>>
>> C-h v org-capture-templates
>> and click on the _customize_ link.
>

> Thank you, Bernt, but I can't see a _customize_ link there, either when
> capture is in customize or when it's not.

Did you try putting the following inside .emacs?

(require 'org-capture)

The following worked for me.

emacs -Q --eval "(add-to-list 'load-path \"/path/to/org-mode/lisp\")"
--eval "(require 'org-capture)"

M-x customize-apropos
org-capture

Thanks and Regards