Thanks everyone -- placement = [H] was exactly what I needed. I went back and saw it in the manual paragraph as [h!]. Also, the mailing list discussion was perfect as well. One suggestion, then... why not just have a nice list of all possible ATTR_LaTeX options? I have killed myself before looking for a simplified list. Maybe even just common ones since perhaps any LaTeX option may be passed? I love this page, for example: http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html It is the holy grail of a simple reference when I need an answer quickly. Why not the same for possible LaTeX attributes for figures and tables? That would be awesome. Thanks again, all. John On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Nick Dokos wrote: > Nick Dokos wrote: > > > Figures (and tables) are floating environments: latex will place them > > at or after the place where they are mentioned in the latex file, at > > the first place where it finds space, consistent with the spec ([htb] > > above). > > > Not quite right: depending on the spec, it *can* end up at the top of the > page with the reference in the text, i.e. *before* that reference. > > > ... > > There was a discussion about such matters some time ago on the mailing > > list (in particular, how CAPTIONS affect output), but I don't remember > > the resolution and I'm too tired to go look. Seek and ye shall find. > > > > I looked this up: check > > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17814 > > particularly Carsten's note of 2009/10/03. > > Nick > > >