* Pandoc can now do Org
@ 2010-12-05 19:16 Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-12-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've quite often felt the need for an importer to orgmode and so have
others on the list.  I stumbled upon Pandoc, while I was trying to
convert some formats.  It's pretty neat and has a bunch of readers and
writers (though it's not "perfect").  I have hacked up an Orgmode
writer for it and it has been added to pandoc's master.  Some of you
may find it useful.

Also, my Haskell skills are pretty rudimentary (learnt it for this
sole purpose). Some love from the Haskell gurus, will do my code some
good.

Thanks,
Puneeth

* Re: Pandoc can now do Org
@ 2010-12-05 19:24 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nice! I looked at pandoc once but don't remember a lot about it. How
well does your importer handle math?

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Puneeth <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've quite often felt the need for an importer to orgmode and so have
> others on the list.  I stumbled upon Pandoc, while I was trying to
> convert some formats.  It's pretty neat and has a bunch of readers and
> writers (though it's not "perfect").  I have hacked up an Orgmode
> writer for it and it has been added to pandoc's master.  Some of you
> may find it useful.
>
> Also, my Haskell skills are pretty rudimentary (learnt it for this
> sole purpose). Some love from the Haskell gurus, will do my code some
> good.
>

> Thanks,
> Puneeth

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Pandoc can now do Org
@ 2010-12-06  4:45   ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-12-06  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice! I looked at pandoc once but don't remember a lot about it. How
> well does your importer handle math?

The LaTeX reader (and therefore the Orgmode writer) of pandoc does
math pretty well. You may want to try it, to see if it fits your
needs.

But some other things are broken and need to be fixed. It doesn't seem
to have table support, as of now. Also, it seems to parse some
environments incorrectly as quote environments. I didn't look at the
source, so I do not know for sure.

--
Puneeth

* Re: Pandoc can now do Org
@ 2010-12-08 21:59     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-12-08 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Puneeth,

Very cool!  This opens up a lot of nice importers for org-mode.

Scot

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Puneeth <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice! I looked at pandoc once but don't remember a lot about it. How
> > well does your importer handle math?
> >

> The LaTeX reader (and therefore the Orgmode writer) of pandoc does
> math pretty well. You may want to try it, to see if it fits your
> needs.
>
> But some other things are broken and need to be fixed. It doesn't seem
> to have table support, as of now. Also, it seems to parse some
> environments incorrectly as quote environments. I didn't look at the
> source, so I do not know for sure.
>
> --
> Puneeth

* Re: Pandoc can now do Org
@ 2010-12-09  4:26       ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-12-09  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Puneeth,
>
> Very cool!  This opens up a lot of nice importers for org-mode.

Yes, Pandoc is pretty cool and it ought to have org-mode! :)

-- Puneeth