* scheduling items question
@ 2011-03-03 23:37 stuart
From: stuart @ 2011-03-03 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

What is the best solution for the following (assuming there is one). I
have a class that takes place three times per week (Monday, Wednesday,
Friday, for example). I would like to schedule this as a habit. What is
the best and particularly, most concise was of doing this?

Right now, I have three headings that are scheduled every week as
follows:

** class Monday

** class Wednesday

** class Friday

I have been using org-mode for quite a while now, but I am _using_ it
more than exploring all its features and possibilities, so please
forgive if this question has been answered.

* Re: scheduling items question
@ 2011-03-04  6:49 ` Aankhen
From: Aankhen @ 2011-03-04  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stuart; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi stuart,

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 05:07, stuart <smclean0640@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best solution for the following (assuming there is one). I
> have a class that takes place three times per week (Monday, Wednesday,
> Friday, for example). I would like to schedule this as a habit. What is
> the best and particularly, most concise was of doing this?
>
> Right now, I have three headings that are scheduled every week as
> follows:
>
> [snip]

The Worg FAQ lists a couple of methods.[1]  You can’t really get away
from using multiple headings, though, unless you write a diary
function of your own.

Aankhen

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#org-diary-class

* Re: scheduling items question
@ 2011-03-04 19:31 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-04 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stuart; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stuart,

stuart <smclean0640@gmail.com> writes:

> ** class Monday
>
> ** class Wednesday
>
> ** class Friday

I would use a weekly repeater for these tasks.

,----
| * class Monday
|   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-07 lun. +1w>
|
| * class Wednesday
|   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-09 mer. +1w>
|
| * class Friday
|   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-11 ven. +1w>
`----

... but do you really need to take the *habit* of attending class??

:)

--
 Bastien

* Re: scheduling items question
@ 2011-03-04 22:18   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-03-04 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: stuart, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> stuart <smclean0640@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ** class Monday
>>
>> ** class Wednesday
>>
>> ** class Friday
>
> I would use a weekly repeater for these tasks.
>
> ,----
> | * class Monday
> |   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-07 lun. +1w>
> |
> | * class Wednesday
> |   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-09 mer. +1w>
> |
> | * class Friday
> |   SCHEDULED: <2011-03-11 ven. +1w>
> `----
>
> ... but do you really need to take the *habit* of attending class??

I wonder why the OP uses a "habit" of these classes.  They'd probably
work better as just regular appointments, like this:

* Class Monday
<2011-03-04 Fri +1w>

Personally, I use org-habit to /hide/ a headline until the day it's
due.  I love that feature, and use it for > 50% of my "scheduled"
things.

--Nate

* Re: scheduling items question
@ 2011-03-04 23:30     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-04 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: stuart, emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder why the OP uses a "habit" of these classes.  They'd probably
> work better as just regular appointments, like this:

Well, I was actually trying to make a joke...  when I was young, we
were forced to go to class -- this was not a "habit" we had to take :)

* TODO Make better jokes
  SCHEDULED: <2011-03-05 sam. ++1d>
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Effort:   2:30