* Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
@ 2011-02-10 21:40 Gary Oberbrunner
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-10 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First time poster on this list, but old-school Emacs user since 1982.  And I
have to say, org-mode is amazing.  I'm running current git master on emacs
24.0.50.1 on Windows.

I've put all my org-mode export template stuff into a setup file in my home
dir, and I make all my org-mode files use it by putting
 #+SETUPFILE: ~/my-setup.org

My question is can I make this totally automatic, so every .org file I load
gets that setupfile automatically?

btw, here's my settings in my setup file in case anyone's interested.
 Mostly export stuff for HTML and LaTeX so the output comes out nice.

## Emacs org-mode settings.  Include into a .org file at the end like this:
## #+SETUPFILE: ~/emacs-org-mode-setup.org
#+AUTHOR:    me
#+EMAIL:     garyo@example.org
#+DATE:
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
author:nil email:nil creator:nil timestamp:nil
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:
http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:
# Page formatting, use full page w/ less whitespace:
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[cm]{fullpage}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
# Snug up lists:
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{paralist}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\itemize\compactitem
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\description\compactdesc
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\enumerate\compactenum
# Colors:
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{color}

--
-- Gary

* Re: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
@ 2011-02-10 21:59 ` Matthew Sauer
       [not found] ` <13311.1297374866@alphaville>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-02-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First time poster as well.  Clarification.  You are wanting to have these
options only inflict themselve on .org files?   I am wondering if they could
be in .emacs or called from .emacs or auto inserted, or maybe like the text
export options are via a shortcut command?   I think I might want a generic
set insertable into a new .org file when I make it via a C-c  command if I
want it in but not necessarily automatically.  That way I have to think
about it and just want something vanilla (if I am writing a book for
instance and not just a project list?) or can customize for a particular
file since I am thnking of it?

Matthew S

@ 2011-02-10 22:39   ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Just add an org.template, seasoned to taste, to the templates directory.

Thanks Nick; actually I'm looking instead for something that doesn't change
the file contents, but just changes the export settings (or whatever's in
that block; title, author, etc.) globally.  Maybe there isn't such a thing
for org-mode.  I do like having my "typesetting" settings outside the actual
file so I separate presentation from content (and can adjust the
presentation of all the files at once).  Ideally I'd love to have it all in
my .emacs.

--

@ 2011-02-10 23:17 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> First time poster on this list, but old-school Emacs user since 1982.  And I
> have to say, org-mode is amazing.  I'm running current git master on emacs
> 24.0.50.1 on Windows.
>
> I've put all my org-mode export template stuff into a setup file in my home
> dir, and I make all my org-mode files use it by putting
>  #+SETUPFILE: ~/my-setup.org
>
> My question is can I make this totally automatic, so every .org file I load
> gets that setupfile automatically?

Hi Gary,

I haven't actually tried doing this, but I think some of the answers may
be in C-h v org-export-plist-vars.

Dan

org-export-plist-vars is a variable defined in `org-exp.el'.
Its value is shown below.

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
List of properties that represent export/publishing variables.
Each element is a list of 3 items:
1. The property that is used internally, and also for org-publish-project-alist
2. The string that can be used in the OPTION lines to set this option,
   or nil if this option cannot be changed in this way
3. The customization variable that sets the default for this option.

Value:
((:link-up nil org-export-html-link-up)
 (:link-home nil org-export-html-link-home)
 (:language nil org-export-default-language)
 (:keywords nil org-export-page-keywords)
 (:description nil org-export-page-description)
 (:customtime nil org-display-custom-times)
 (:headline-levels "H" org-export-headline-levels)
 (:section-numbers "num" org-export-with-section-numbers)
 (:section-number-format nil org-export-section-number-format)
 (:table-of-contents "toc" org-export-with-toc)
 (:preserve-breaks "\\n" org-export-preserve-breaks)
 (:archived-trees nil org-export-with-archived-trees)
 (:emphasize "*" org-export-with-emphasize)
 (:sub-superscript "^" org-export-with-sub-superscripts)
 (:special-strings "-" org-export-with-special-strings)
 (:footnotes "f" org-export-with-footnotes)
 (:drawers "d" org-export-with-drawers)
 (:tags "tags" org-export-with-tags)
 (:todo-keywords "todo" org-export-with-todo-keywords)
 (:priority "pri" org-export-with-priority)
 (:TeX-macros "TeX" org-export-with-TeX-macros)
 (:LaTeX-fragments "LaTeX" org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments)
 (:latex-listings nil org-export-latex-listings)
 (:skip-before-1st-heading "skip" org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading)
 (:fixed-width ":" org-export-with-fixed-width)
 (:timestamps "<" org-export-with-timestamps)
 (:author-info "author" org-export-author-info)
 (:email-info "email" org-export-email-info)
 (:creator-info "creator" org-export-creator-info)
 (:time-stamp-file "timestamp" org-export-time-stamp-file)
 (:tables "|" org-export-with-tables)
 (:table-auto-headline nil org-export-highlight-first-table-line)
 (:style-include-default nil org-export-html-style-include-default)
 (:style-include-scripts nil org-export-html-style-include-scripts)
 (:style nil org-export-html-style)
 (:style-extra nil org-export-html-style-extra)
 (:agenda-style nil org-agenda-export-html-style)
 (:convert-org-links nil org-export-html-link-org-files-as-html)
 (:inline-images nil org-export-html-inline-images)
 (:html-extension nil org-export-html-extension)
 (:xml-declaration nil org-export-html-xml-declaration)
 (:html-table-tag nil org-export-html-table-tag)
 (:expand-quoted-html "@" org-export-html-expand)
 (:timestamp nil org-export-html-with-timestamp)
 (:publishing-directory nil org-export-publishing-directory)
 (:preamble nil org-export-html-preamble)
 (:postamble nil org-export-html-postamble)
 (:auto-preamble nil org-export-html-auto-preamble)
 (:auto-postamble nil org-export-html-auto-postamble)
 (:author nil user-full-name)
 (:email nil user-mail-address)
 (:select-tags nil org-export-select-tags)
 (:exclude-tags nil org-export-exclude-tags)
 (:latex-image-options nil org-export-latex-image-default-option))

> btw, here's my settings in my setup file in case anyone's interested.
>  Mostly export stuff for HTML and LaTeX so the output comes out nice.
>
> ## Emacs org-mode settings.  Include into a .org file at the end like this:
> ## #+SETUPFILE: ~/emacs-org-mode-setup.org
> #+AUTHOR:    me
> #+EMAIL:     garyo@example.org
> #+DATE:
> #+KEYWORDS:
> #+LANGUAGE:  en
> author:nil email:nil creator:nil timestamp:nil
> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:
> http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
> #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
> #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
> #+LINK_UP:
> #+LINK_HOME:
> # Page formatting, use full page w/ less whitespace:
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[cm]{fullpage}
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
> # Snug up lists:
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{paralist}
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\itemize\compactitem
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\description\compactdesc
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \let\enumerate\compactenum
> # Colors:
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{color}

* Re: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-12 12:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-12 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gary,

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> I've put all my org-mode export template stuff into a setup file in
> my home dir, and I make all my org-mode files use it by putting
>  #+SETUPFILE: ~/my-setup.org
>
> My question is can I make this totally automatic, so every .org file
> I load gets that setupfile automatically?

Maybe just define a function that you can hook to
`find-file-not-found-functions' ?

The function would recognize you're finding a new .org file, and
then insert "#+SETUPFILE: ~/my-setup.org" on the top of it.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-13 15:53 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-02-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can use auto-insert for this.
Put something like this in your .emacs file

(require 'autoinsert)
(auto-insert-mode t)  ;;; Adds hook to find-files-hook
;;; Set directory containing the auto-insert templates (Trailing slash is
;;; important) Change this directory to whatever you want
(setq auto-insert-directory "~/Dropbox/Dotfiles/.emacs.d/auto-insert-templates/")
(setq auto-insert-query nil) ;;; nil If you don't want to be prompted
                             ;;; before insertion
;;; Define an auto-insert template for org files
(define-auto-insert "\.org" "my-orgfile-template.org")

Now create the file "my-orgfile-template.org" inside the
auto-insert-directory with what you want and whenever you create a new org
file the content in my-orgfile-template.org will be inserted. I like to
have a heading with the configuration and leave only title, author and
email at the beggining of the file. The template I use is

#+TITLE:Put The Title Here
#+AUTHOR:Authors Name
#+EMAIL:something@somethingElse

* Some Header

* Org-File Setup
#+STARTUP: odd
#+LINK: google http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
#+LINK: nautilus elisp:(browse-dir "%s")
#+LINK: sftp elisp:(browse-dir-sftp "%s")
#+LINK: tomboy elisp:(tomboy-simple-open-note "%s")
#+LINK: calibre file:~/Calibre Library/%s
#+LINK: mendeley file:~/Mendeley_Desktop/%s
#+STARTUP: logdone
#+STARTUP: logreschedule
#+STARTUP: logredeadline
#+DRAWERS: PROPERTIES CLOCK LOGBOOK HIDDEN
#+COLUMNS: %41ITEM(Task)  %TODO %5Effort %5CLOCKSUM

Darlan

At Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:40:44 -0500,

@ 2011-02-13 18:57   ` Gary Oberbrunner
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-13 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
<darcamo@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use auto-insert for this.

I guess I'm really not using org-mode in the way it was intended --
everyone thinks I should put these values into each one of my org-mode
files.  Maybe it's because I want to use it more like a word processor
that can product odt, pdf, and html than an organizer, so I have
dozens or hundreds of these?

I really just want to set all the _defaults_ for those different
export types somewhere globally, so both my large pile of existing org
files as well as new ones all get a consistent look when exported.
And if I change my "style" I'd like all my exports to adjust
automatically.  As an example, I *never* want to export the creator
line.  But most of the comments on this list seem to say I should
modify my .org files (at least to include #+SETUPFILE), so I guess
I'll consider that as standard practice.

Would anyone be interested if I were to create a way to specify export
values in a global file somewhere (~/.org-site-defaults or something)
in the same syntax as SETUPFILE (#+kwd: value) that would set up all
the defaults for _every_ org file?

--

@ 2011-02-13 20:40     ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]     ` <25508.1297658851@alphaville>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-02-13 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Gary,

I would be interested in a way to set export defaults globally for
my .org files.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-02-13 21:16     ` Dan Davison
       [not found]     ` <25508.1297658851@alphaville>
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-13 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
> <darcamo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can use auto-insert for this.
>
> I guess I'm really not using org-mode in the way it was intended --
> everyone thinks I should put these values into each one of my org-mode
> files.

Hi Gary,

What did you think of the suggestion I made?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/37408

I believe it pointed you in the right direction. You need to (a) find
the variables that control the export behavior in question, and (b) set
those variables in your .emacs. My reply gave a source of many of the
relevant variables, i.e. the default value of the variable
`org-export-plist-vars'. An example of one of those variables is

[...]

> As an example, I *never* want to export the creator line.

`org-export-creator-info'.

Let us know if you have trouble finding the appropriate variable for
something, or if setting the variables isn't behaving the way you want.

Dan

>  But most of the comments on this list seem to say I should
> modify my .org files (at least to include #+SETUPFILE), so I guess
> I'll consider that as standard practice.
>
> Would anyone be interested if I were to create a way to specify export
> values in a global file somewhere (~/.org-site-defaults or something)
> in the same syntax as SETUPFILE (#+kwd: value) that would set up all
> the defaults for _every_ org file?

* Re: Re: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
@ 2011-02-14  0:08       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-14  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Gary Oberbrunner

Hi Gary,

Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe it pointed you in the right direction. You need to (a) find
> the variables that control the export behavior in question, and (b) set
> those variables in your .emacs.

I support this.  Look for variables named org-export-* and set them
appropriately in your .emacs.el or somewhere else.  Then they will be
available as default export values for all your file.

If there is an option for which you don't have the proper org-export-*
let us know.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
@ 2011-02-14  2:08       ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-14  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, that's definitely what I'm looking for.  If I get some time I may
write a function to allow autoloading a setupfile-syntax version (just
for consistency/simplicity), but given shortness of time I'll probably
just track down the vars and set them in my .emacs. :-)

thanks!

@ 2011-02-14 15:07         ` Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-02-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Dan Davison

Question, would something like the following work?

For .emacs

---start of .emacs
----------snip---------------snip-----------snip-------------------

 (setq load-path (append '("/home/usr/emacs/load/") load-path))
 (setq load-path (append '("/home/usr/emacs") load-path))

 (load "export-setup"         nil t )  ; Org-Export settings

<rest of .emacs code here

---end   of .emacs
----------snip---------------snip-----------snip-------------------

--- Start of export-setup.el ------snip-------snip-------------snip-----------

(setq  . . . . . .

 . . . . . Set the variables you want here but they can be overrode in
specific files with specific buffer overrides #+STARTUP
--------------end Export-setup.el

Got the idea from http://www.dotemacs.de/recovery.html

Matthew S

@ 2011-02-14 15:14           ` Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-02-14 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oberbrunner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Dan Davison

Would this be the full list of variables?
Possible completions are:
org-export-allow-BIND                  org-export-author-info
org-export-babel-evaluate              org-export-blocks
org-export-blocks-postblock-hook       org-export-blocks-witheld
org-export-copy-to-kill-ring           org-export-creator-info
org-export-default-language            org-export-email-info
org-export-exclude-tags                org-export-headline-levels
org-export-highlight-first-table-line  org-export-html-coding-system
org-export-html-expand                 org-export-html-extension
org-export-html-footnote-format        org-export-html-footnotes-section
org-export-html-home/up-format         org-export-html-html-helper-timestamp
org-export-html-inline-image-extensions org-export-html-inline-images
org-export-html-link-home
 org-export-html-link-org-files-as-html
org-export-html-link-up                org-export-html-mathjax-options
org-export-html-mathjax-template       org-export-html-style
org-export-html-style-extra            org-export-html-style-include-default
org-export-html-style-include-scripts
org-export-html-table-align-individual-fields
org-export-html-table-tag
org-export-html-table-use-header-tags-for-first-column
org-export-html-tag-class-prefix       org-export-html-title-format
org-export-html-todo-kwd-class-prefix  org-export-html-toplevel-hlevel
org-export-html-use-infojs             org-export-html-validation-link
org-export-html-with-timestamp         org-export-html-xml-declaration
org-export-htmlize-css-font-prefix     org-export-htmlize-output-type
org-export-htmlized-org-css-url        org-export-interblocks
org-export-kill-product-buffer-when-displayed
org-export-language-setup
 org-export-latex-default-packages-alist
org-export-latex-packages-alist        org-export-mark-todo-in-toc
org-export-prefer-native-exporter-for-tables
org-export-preserve-breaks             org-export-remove-timestamps-from-toc
org-export-run-in-background           org-export-section-number-format
org-export-select-tags
org-export-show-temporary-export-buffer
org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading org-export-table-data-tags
org-export-table-header-tags           org-export-table-remove-special-lines
org-export-table-row-tags              org-export-time-stamp-file
org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments        org-export-with-TeX-macros
org-export-with-archived-trees         org-export-with-drawers
org-export-with-emphasize              org-export-with-fixed-width
org-export-with-footnotes              org-export-with-priority
org-export-with-section-numbers        org-export-with-special-strings
org-export-with-sub-superscripts       org-export-with-tables
org-export-with-tags                   org-export-with-timestamps
org-export-with-toc                    org-export-with-todo-keywords

@ 2011-02-14 20:48             ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-14 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Matthew Sauer <improv.philosophy@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Would this be the full list of variables?
> Possible completions are:
> org-export-allow-BIND                  org-export-author-info
> org-export-babel-evaluate              org-export-blocks

Awesome!  That is perfect.

--
-- Gary

* Fwd: Something like SETUPFILE, but in .emacs?
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTikhjWt=O6aes9P7eQWHMu5GY7_Q7Wp1omzNE__K@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-02-14 20:49         ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-02-14 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)