* [RFC] Self-configuring Org-mode files
@ 2010-12-10  7:09 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-10  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Aloha all,

I'm eager to learn how to build a self-configuring Org-mode file.

I think Org-mode is uniquely positioned to produce reproducible
research documents, but frankly speaking, the author of a reproducible
Org-mode research document would be foolish to release it.   The
probability that it would run out-of-the-box on a reader's computer is
quite a bit less than 1.  Multiply this fraction by the number of
potential readers and the probability that the author will receive one
or more emails entitled something like "Your reproducible research
isn't reproducible" rapidly approaches 1.

A desire to produce reproducible research with Org-mode shouldn't
reduce to an open-ended commitment to solve configuration problems on
users' computers around the world.  An Org-mode file that reliably
self-configures might solve this problem.

Based on the kind comments of several list members, I've come up with
what I hope are the rudiments of such a self-configuring Org-mode
file.  I'm requesting your comments because I believe, individually
and collectively, you know way more about this than I do.

1) At the end of the Org-mode file are some instructions saying
something like "To use this document, first
evaluate this code block", as suggested by Dan Davison:

# Local variables:
# eval:(sbe "essential-document-config")
# End:

2) the source code block "essential-document-config" would consist of
noweb calls to Library of Babel functions:

#+source: essential-document-config
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :noweb yes
  <<lob-set-this-variable(x=t)>>
<<lob-set-that-variable(x=nil)>>
#+end_src

3) The Library of Babel would be populated with little functions, each
of which sets a single variable in a buffer-local way (as suggested
several times to me on the list):

#+source: lob-set-this-variable
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x=nil
(set (make-local-variable 'this-variable) x)
#+end_src

4) A super-function in the Library of Babel would set the buffer-local
instance of every relevant Org-mode variable to its default state:

#+source: lob-set-local-defaults
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

5) The Org-mode community would be responsible for populating the
Library of Babel with the relevant little functions--whenever a new
configuration variable is introduced, then a little function for it
would be deposited in the Library of Babel.  The name of the
configuration function would be part of the variable's docstring.

6) The author of a reproducible Org-mode document could reasonably
expect to produce a document that self-configures on computers around
the world, in a way that is safe and effective.  The author would call
the super-function, then add noweb calls to little functions until the
reproducible research document works as expected.

I'm happy for any comments, positive or negative.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: [RFC] Self-configuring Org-mode files
@ 2010-12-10 16:04 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-10 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> 4) A super-function in the Library of Babel would set the buffer-local
> instance of every relevant Org-mode variable to its default state:
> #+source: lob-set-local-defaults
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> #+end_src

Would this function save the current state of each variable it changes
for restoration after the user exits the buffer?

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: [RFC] Self-configuring Org-mode files
@ 2010-12-10 16:13   ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-12-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Jeff Horn wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>> 4) A super-function in the Library of Babel would set the buffer-local
>> instance of every relevant Org-mode variable to its default state:
>> #+source: lob-set-local-defaults
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> #+end_src
>
> Would this function save the current state of each variable it changes
> for restoration after the user exits the buffer?

Perhaps I'm mis-understanding, but Thomas' suggestion is to set the
variables *buffer-local*, not global, so once the buffer is killed,
so are the buffer-local versions of the variables.

* Re: [RFC] Self-configuring Org-mode files
@ 2010-12-10 16:20     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-10 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hah! You're right. Sorry for noise.