* What is your journaling setup?
@ 2010-11-26 19:21 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-11-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Not to detract from the awesomeness of the date tree feature, but for
those who don't know, it is possible to keep logs in sorted order,
either in the logbook (happens automatically) or in the outline tree
(user-defined sorting).  I do the latter.  I don't use date trees.

  *** CONVERSATION [2010-11-26 Fri 10:00] this is an example

Also, the agenda can sort.

Just another option.  :)

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious

* Re: What is your journaling setup?
@ 2010-11-26 20:41 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to detract from the awesomeness of the date tree feature, but for
> those who don't know, it is possible to keep logs in sorted order,
> either in the logbook (happens automatically) or in the outline tree
> (user-defined sorting).  I do the latter.  I don't use date trees.

I'm finding date-trees to be less useful for my note-taking. I'm
looking for an alternative setup. Sam, do you care to elaborate on
your setup?

I'm assuming you've just defined a capture template that automatically
inserts an inactive timestamp? And you use refile to move your notes
around?

BTW, it never occurred to me to use the logbook (drawer, I'm assuming)
to automatically sort manually recorded notes.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: What is your journaling setup?
@ 2010-11-26 21:02   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-11-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2010-11-26, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming you've just defined a capture template that automatically
> inserts an inactive timestamp? And you use refile to move your notes
> around?

Correct.  And a todo state change hook.  And user-defined sorting in
outline and agenda.  Conversations go to near end just above doneish
and each is sorted by ts.

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious