* Tutorial on advanced searches
@ 2010-11-29  3:03 Matt Lundin
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-11-29  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

These days I find myself frequently searching a mountainous pile of org
files. To clarify my own understanding of Org-mode's powerful search
tools, I wrote a tutorial on "advanced searches". It's available on
Worg:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php

I hope the tutorial proves useful. If nothing else, I'd like to bring
some attention of one of Org-mode's hidden gems: C-c a s
(org-search-view).

Since Worg is in perpetual beta, any suggestions or comments would, of
course, be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Matt

* Re: Tutorial on advanced searches
@ 2010-11-29  3:30 ` Samuel Wales
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-11-29  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Excellent.  Thorough.

I'd point out that "..." will not match if there are newlines in the
matched text (though perhaps it should, if possible, a la google).

* Re: Tutorial on advanced searches
@ 2010-11-29 11:20 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Wow, Matt, this is awesome.

Thanks!

- Carsten

On Nov 29, 2010, at 4:03 AM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> These days I find myself frequently searching a mountainous pile of
> org
> files. To clarify my own understanding of Org-mode's powerful search
> tools, I wrote a tutorial on "advanced searches". It's available on
> Worg:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php
>
> I hope the tutorial proves useful. If nothing else, I'd like to bring
> some attention of one of Org-mode's hidden gems: C-c a s
> (org-search-view).
>
> Since Worg is in perpetual beta, any suggestions or comments would, of
> course, be greatly appreciated!
>
> Best,
> Matt

- Carsten

* Re: Tutorial on advanced searches
@ 2010-11-29 18:59 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-11-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt,

all I can say is just "yow!".

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> Since Worg is in perpetual beta, any suggestions or comments would, of
> course, be greatly appreciated!

You might want to consider scheduling the big event for next year, not
past January.
:-)

Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Tutorial on advanced searches
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-29 19:57 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-11-29 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> These days I find myself frequently searching a mountainous pile of org
> files. To clarify my own understanding of Org-mode's powerful search
> tools, I wrote a tutorial on "advanced searches". It's available on
> Worg:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php
>
> I hope the tutorial proves useful. If nothing else, I'd like to bring
> some attention of one of Org-mode's hidden gems: C-c a s
> (org-search-view).

Indeed.  Even a simple use of C-c a s on my notes file has saved me
countless times.

Thanks for the impressive writeup.

--
Manish

* Re: Tutorial on advanced searches
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-30 12:35 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-30 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> These days I find myself frequently searching a mountainous pile of org
> files. To clarify my own understanding of Org-mode's powerful search
> tools, I wrote a tutorial on "advanced searches". It's available on
> Worg:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php

Fantastic document!  Many thanks.  Although I use a few of the
techniques you illustrate, I had no idea of how many different ways of
searching there are.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.99.g9db0.dirty)