From: Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org expert mode?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:36:00 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> So I naturally thought of something like an "Org Expert mode": when
>> turned off, the UI would *not* give access to complex features
>
> More precisely: the UI would not _display_ complex features, which will
> still be available anyway (of course).

I think it would be an excellent idea. One could have even more modes,
e.g. babel. This would make working (especially starting) much easier.
Although I mus say, I started without the UI - I only use the menu for
tables and other things I do not that often.

But following on your statement that the features will still be there,
I would actually suggest to introduce an "Org Babel Mode" which would
*disable* features like archiving - the archiving feature (very useful
for time management et al) is quite useless in the use of babel for
literate programming. This "Org Babel mode" should not be a mode for
the whole of org, but rather on a per file basis.

One could define certain base modes (like the mentioned "Org Babel
mode") and allow the user to define new ones.
The activation of two modes, would enable all functionality which is
enabled in one of the modes, while disabling the ones disabled in both
or not enabled in one.

Cheers,

Rainer

--