* Org Mobile Setting and file encoding
@ 2010-11-23 17:54 Chao LU
From: Chao LU @ 2010-11-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I'm trying to set up Mobile Org, but there's some problem,

All my org files are placed in in ~/My Dropbox/org/org, as following:
-----
(defvar org-dir (concat Dropbox "/org") "org dir")
(defvar org-source-dir (concat Dropbox "/org/org")  "org source dir")
(defvar pub-html-dir (concat Dropbox "/org/public_html") "html dir")
(defvar org-mobile-dir (concat Dropbox "/MobileOrg") "org mobile dir")

Then I set Mobile Org like this:
(setq org-mobile-directory org-source-dir)
(setq org-mobile-force-id-on-agenda-items nil)
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull (concat org-source-dir "/mobile.org"))

After org-mobile-push command, the agenda is generated, but in Mobile Org,
it could not be opened,
and the error message is bad file encoding, unable to detect file encoding,
please re-save this file using UTF-8.

So how could I figure out what the file encoding of my org files, and if
not, how to convert them (there's quite a bit) to UTF-8,
and in the future how to save the files automatically to UTF-8 with the
Chinese support?

The coding system is really confusing, thanks a lot!!

Chao

* Re: Org Mobile Setting and file encoding
@ 2010-11-23 19:33 ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2010-11-23 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loochao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chao,

whenever mobileorg fails loading the file and converting it into an
UTF8 string, the error message about encoding is presented.

The cause of your problem can be many things:
  - the file is incorrectly recognised as encrypted
  - the file is incorrectly recognised as not-encrypted
  - the encoding is not utf-8 and there are offending bytes
  - the parsing of the index file fails somehow

To make sure utf-8 is all you do, evaluate (in .emacs e.g.):

(prefer-coding-system       'utf-8)
(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)

Furthermore, make sure you try everything not encrypted.

Also, this helped with me, don't run the latest git org-mode against
production release mobileorg. Somehow my mobileorg on iphone failed on
the first lines of the index file. mobileorg on Android didn't fail
however.

Good luck!

Joost Helberg

--
Snow B.V.        http://snow.nl

* Re: Org Mobile Setting and file encoding
@ 2010-11-24 15:05   ` Chao LU
From: Chao LU @ 2010-11-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Helberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode