* command f in agenda buffer
@ 2010-12-12 18:24 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-12 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

When I press C-c a a, I end up with the agenda view for the current
week. I want to then view the agenda for the next week and I press key
f. I read that I have to press this key to
"Go forward in time to display the following org-agenda-ndays days.
For example, if the display covers a week, switch to the following
week. With prefix arg, go forward that many times org-agenda-ndays
days. "

However, when I press f, my emacs toggles between follow mode on and
off. How do I go the next week in the agenda view?

Thanks for your help.

* Re: command f in agenda buffer
@ 2010-12-12 19:53 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-12 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

When you're in agenda view, type =C-h k f=. What does the help system

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I press C-c a a, I end up with the agenda view for the current
> week. I want to then view the agenda for the next week and I press key
> f. I read that I have to press this key to
> "Go forward in time to display the following org-agenda-ndays days.
> For example, if the display covers a week, switch to the following
> week. With prefix arg, go forward that many times org-agenda-ndays
> days. "
>
> However, when I press f, my emacs toggles between follow mode on and
> off. How do I go the next week in the agenda view?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: command f in agenda buffer
@ 2010-12-12 20:10   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-12 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying. I did what you said and got the following information:

--------------
f runs the command org-agenda-follow-mode, which is an interactive
compiled Lisp function in `org-agenda.el'.

It is bound to f, <menu-bar> <Agenda> <Follow Mode>.

(org-agenda-follow-mode)

Toggle follow mode in an agenda buffer.
-------------

Any ideas why f is bound to follow-mode for me? How do I change that?

Thanks again.

@ 2010-12-12 20:19     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-12 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I haven't touched these settings, so in my setup, =f= executes
org-agenda-later, while =S-f= executes the command you're talking
about. (I got this info from =C-h m= while in the agenda)

I notice in the help docs that F means lower-case, and Shift-F means
upper-case. Perhaps try pressing =f= without the shift key?

Let me know if that doesn't help.

@ 2010-12-12 20:24       ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am pressing =f= without the shift key.

As you said, I have not touched any setting either, other than adding
these lines to the .emacs file as suggested in the Activation part of
the emacs manual

;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

Thanks!

@ 2010-12-12 20:27         ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

(Copying back to the list)

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pressing =f= without the shift key.

I see, I apologize. I should've seen that from the information you
sent. Try evaluating the following block. If it works, put it in one
of your init files. If it doesn't work, I'll defer to someone with
more knowledge of org-mode.

#BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
              '(lambda ()
                 (define-key org-agenda-mode-map "f" 'org-agenda-later)
))
#END_SRC

@ 2010-12-12 20:29     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Curiouslearn wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for replying. I did what you said and got the following
> information:
>
> --------------
> f runs the command org-agenda-follow-mode, which is an interactive
> compiled Lisp function in `org-agenda.el'.
>
> It is bound to f, <menu-bar> <Agenda> <Follow Mode>.
>
> (org-agenda-follow-mode)
>
> Toggle follow mode in an agenda buffer.
> -------------
>
> Any ideas why f is bound to follow-mode for me? How do I change that?

By using a version of Org-mode that is less than 1 year old.

Cheers

- Carsten

@ 2010-12-12 20:34       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-12-12 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

Jeff Horn wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I did what you said and got the following information:
>>
>> --------------
>> f runs the command org-agenda-follow-mode, which is an interactive
>> compiled Lisp function in `org-agenda.el'.
>
> I haven't touched these settings, so in my setup, =f= executes
> org-agenda-later, while =S-f= executes the command you're talking
> about. (I got this info from =C-h m= while in the agenda)
>
> I notice in the help docs that F means lower-case, and Shift-F means
> upper-case. Perhaps try pressing =f= without the shift key?
>
> Let me know if that doesn't help.
>
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

I have the impression you have a quite old version of Org.

What does `M-x org-version' report?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: command f in agenda buffer
@ 2010-12-13  0:22       ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-13  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Thanks to both Jeff and Carsten.

Jeff, I will try your code. Do I need to put the #BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
line if I am including the code snippet in my .emacs file.

Carsten, I am using the org-mode that came with Emacs for Mac OS X
(version 23.1). I have two questions about installation about the new
version of org-mode.

Should I just follow the steps on the org-mode website for
installation and activation, without worrying about any conflicts in
currently installed version of org-mode and the latest version? Or, is
anything different when I am simply updating and have another version
already installed.

Thanks very much.

@ 2010-12-13  0:41         ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-13  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

(Forward to group)

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to both Jeff and Carsten.
>
> Jeff, I will try your code. Do I need to put the #BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> line if I am including the code snippet in my .emacs file.

No need to include the beginning or end lines. They are there only to
quote the code and separate it from the rest of my e-mail.

The code is likely not to work, as the function you are trying to use
might not exist in your current version of org-mode. Try upgrading
first and let us know if that fixes everything.

BTW, when I started using a different version of org-mode, the only
thing I did was follow the instructions on the Web site and put the
org-mode folder in my load-path. I think it is recommended to
=(require 'org-install)= in your init file, but I didn't do that until
recently.

--

@ 2010-12-13  2:05           ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-13  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Thank you. I have upgraded my emacs install and came with it the new
org-mode (I know that this is probably not the latest). But for this
version of the org-mode
the key =f= works great.

@ 2011-01-02 14:57 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-01-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)