* Title page for book latex export
@ 2010-10-18  9:39 Jordi Inglada
       [not found] ` <9312871.193.1287423634931.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Jordi Inglada @ 2010-10-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I would like to export to LaTeX using "#+LaTeX_CLASS: book" and use a
title page that I have built using the LaTeX titlepage environment. I
don't know where to put the titlepage environment and how to
deactivate the title page generation by the LaTeX export.

Thank you for your help.

Jordi

* Re: Title page for book latex export
@ 2010-10-18 17:44 ` Jeff Horn
       [not found] ` <9312871.193.1287423634931.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-18 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordi Inglada; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Any code between LaTeX code blocks should execute automatically. For
example, I could place an entire .tex source between

#+BEGIN_LaTeX
[Code goes here]
#+END_LaTeX

And name the file tex.org and it can be exported to PDF. So, I would
just place the normal LaTeX commands you would use to accomplish what
you are trying to do in a code block, like above.

Good luck,
Jeff

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Jordi Inglada
<jordi.inglada@cesbio.cnes.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to export to LaTeX using "#+LaTeX_CLASS: book" and use a
> title page that I have built using the LaTeX titlepage environment. I
> don't know where to put the titlepage environment and how to
> deactivate the title page generation by the LaTeX export.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Jordi

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

@ 2010-10-18 20:19   ` Jordi Inglada
       [not found]     ` <28722569.197.1287437982941.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Jordi Inglada @ 2010-10-18 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I actually did that as a first try, but the
problem is that the org->tex export generates a standard title page
(title, author, date), then the table of contents, and only after that
my title page.

So the question would rather be: how to deactivate the standard title
page and put mine before anything else in the document?

Thank you.

Jordi

@ 2010-10-18 21:43     ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]     ` <28722569.197.1287437982941.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-18 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordi Inglada; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos

Jordi Inglada <jordi.inglada@cesbio.cnes.fr> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I actually did that as a first try, but the
> problem is that the org->tex export generates a standard title page
> (title, author, date), then the table of contents, and only after that
> my title page.
>
> So the question would rather be: how to deactivate the standard title
> page and put mine before anything else in the document?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jordi
>
> Jeff Horn writes:
>  > Any code between LaTeX code blocks should execute automatically. For
>  > example, I could place an entire .tex source between
>  >
>  > #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>  > [Code goes here]
>  > #+END_LaTeX
>  >
>  > And name the file tex.org and it can be exported to PDF. So, I would
>  > just place the normal LaTeX commands you would use to accomplish what
>  > you are trying to do in a code block, like above.
>  >
>  > Good luck,
>  > Jeff
>  >
>  > On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Jordi Inglada
>  > <jordi.inglada@cesbio.cnes.fr> wrote:
>  > > Hi all,
>  > >
>  > > I would like to export to LaTeX using "#+LaTeX_CLASS: book" and use a
>  > > title page that I have built using the LaTeX titlepage environment. I
>  > > don't know where to put the titlepage environment and how to
>  > > deactivate the title page generation by the LaTeX export.
>  > >
>  > > Thank you for your help.
>  > >
>  > > Jordi
>  > >

<rant>

Instead of saying: "I would like to do such and so", please consider using
something like this:

"I would like to do such and so. This is what I tried:

<contents of org file>

This is what I got when I exported to LaTeX:

<contents of TeX file>

As you can see, I get <description of undesired behavior>, instead of
what I would like to get: <description of desired behavior>.

How do I accomplish that?"

That helps in several ways:

     o it helps the submitter of the question:in the process of
       explaining the problem you might hit upon the solution.

     o it helps the potential helpers: instead of having to deconstruct
       the description and construct an example of their own (which
       might or might not be related to the original problem), they have
       an exact specification of the problem.

     o it helps the submitter *and* the potential helpers: instead of me
       guessing what the problem is, replying, you pointing out that I
       misunderstood, explaining the misunderstanding, etc. etc., we
       avoid the extended conversation: the submitter gets a quicker
       answer and the helpers can go back to what they were doing
       faster. And saying: "I tried that  - it didn't work", well,
       that's adding insult to injury.

    o it helps the list: there is a crisp description of the problem and
      (hopefully) a crisp answer. Those who are interested can file it
      away faster, those who are not can bypass it faster.

    o it helps future org-mode users: searching the archive for answers
      is much easier.

Also it places the burden where it should be: it is the submitter who
has the problem; it is only fair that it be the submitter who does most
of the work to get it resolved: so tell me (nay, *show me*) what you've
tried. At the very least, it will save some typing on my part.

In general, the rule of thumb is "more information is better than less."
Act accordingly.

In your case, you mention the titlepage environment. Now sometime in the
distant past, I might have used it but do I remember anything about it?
Nope, not at this point. So the next step is to go do some research to
find out how to use it: oops, I packed away the LaTeX book for the move
next week.  Got to go to the web - oops, firefox is wedged, restart it.
Now what? Ah, heck the wireless is having a bad day...

The idea is to make the helper want to continue helping instead of
giving him/her a chance to say "Ah, screw it - it's not worth it,
I have better things to do."

</rant>

OK, now that I've got that off my chest and as a reward for subjecting
you (and everybody else) to the rant, here's a way to do what you
want (I think - unless I've misunderstood the problem...)

,----
| #+LATEX_HEADER: \input{mytitle}
|
| * Foo
| foo
|
| * Bar
| bar
`----

where the file mytitle.tex looks like this:

,----
| \renewcommand\maketitle{\begin{titlepage}%
| FOO
| \end{titlepage}%
| }
`----

and where instead of "FOO", you put your titlepage stuff.
That's how \maketitle is defined in the first place, so
just redefine it.

HTH,
Nick

@ 2010-10-19  6:13       ` Jordi Inglada
       [not found]         ` <493995.8239.1287496847211.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Jordi Inglada @ 2010-10-19  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply.

Nick Dokos writes:
 > <rant>
 > </rant>

Sorry. I did not notice that my not understanding what the problem was
was going to upset anybody. I'll be more careful next time.

 > OK, now that I've got that off my chest and as a reward for subjecting
 > you (and everybody else) to the rant, here's a way to do what you
 > want (I think - unless I've misunderstood the problem...)

It indeed solved my problem.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

@ 2010-10-19  6:18       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-19  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Oct 18, 2010, at 11:43 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> [...]
>
> </rant>
>

> OK, now that I've got that off my chest and as a reward for subjecting
> you (and everybody else) to the rant, here's a way to do what you
> want (I think - unless I've misunderstood the problem...)
>
> ,----
> | #+LATEX_HEADER: \input{mytitle}
> |
> | * Foo
> | foo
> |
> | * Bar
> | bar
> `----
>
> where the file mytitle.tex looks like this:
>
> ,----
> | \renewcommand\maketitle{\begin{titlepage}%
> | FOO
> | \end{titlepage}%
> | }
> `----
>
> and where instead of "FOO", you put your titlepage stuff.
> That's how \maketitle is defined in the first place, so

Alternatively, add an empty

    #+TITLE:

line of inhibit the emission of a \maketitle line by Org.

- Carsten

@ 2010-10-19 14:04         ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]         ` <493995.8239.1287496847211.JavaMail.root@zm-cesbio-01>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-19 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordi Inglada; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jordi Inglada <jordi.inglada@cesbio.cnes.fr> wrote:

> Nick Dokos writes:
>  > <rant>
>  > ...
>  > </rant>
>  >

> Sorry. I did not notice that my not understanding what the problem was
> was going to upset anybody. I'll be more careful next time.

A couple of points:

    o although I meant what I said in the <rant> seriously, I was not
      upset. I guess my humor is dry as dust, but I can assure you I
      was chuckling while composing the mail.

    o I *certainly* was not upset at your not understanding the problem.
      This is exactly what the list is about. And your question was
      entirely appropriate for the list.

    o Although your post was the trigger, the rant was not meant for you
      personally: it was meant for the whole list. It is often the case
      that people describe a problem with very little detail and it
      takes a series of back-and-forths before we can really understand
      what the problem is. Sometimes that's inevitable but many times
      it can be avoided. My suggestion was to include enough detail
      in the original report so the back-and-forth can be avoided to
      the extent possible.

So I hope I did not offend you and if I did offend you, I apologize:
that was not my purpose at all, and a rant that offends but does not
educate is no good at all.

Nick

@ 2010-10-19 14:36           ` Jordi Inglada
From: Jordi Inglada @ 2010-10-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No problem. And thanks again for your help.

Jordi

@ 2010-10-20  2:33           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-20  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, emacs-orgmode

Nick and others,

>    o Although your post was the trigger, the rant was not meant for you
>      personally: it was meant for the whole list. It is often the case
>      that people describe a problem with very little detail and it
>      takes a series of back-and-forths before we can really understand
>      what the problem is. Sometimes that's inevitable but many times
>      it can be avoided. My suggestion was to include enough detail
>      in the original report so the back-and-forth can be avoided to
>      the extent possible.

Reading the list for a short while before posting, it became fairly
obvious to me what was expected in order to receive help. But, since
posting a rant to the mail list only informs people who read the list
of your displeasure, and given that the group most likely to benefit
from your advice are new list members, it might behoove us to post a
clear(er) list of expectations on the org-mode site when we introduce
potential users to the list.

Best wishes,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Title page for book latex export
@ 2010-10-20  4:11             ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]               ` <AANLkTiks0Om7sdkFfiR5CiJncixhD5AKE2htZcexKLcW@mail.gmail.com>
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-20  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reading the list for a short while before posting, it became fairly
> obvious to me what was expected in order to receive help. But, since
> posting a rant to the mail list only informs people who read the list
> of your displeasure, and given that the group most likely to benefit
> from your advice are new list members, it might behoove us to post a
> clear(er) list of expectations on the org-mode site when we introduce
> potential users to the list.

You are right that only the current members get to see the rant. I can
save it and repost it at appropriate times in the future.
Just kidding.

There is a fairly clear list of expectations in section 1.4, Feedback,
of the Org manual. And the "How to contribute" page on Worg
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php) contains the admonition:

o you can submit bug reports – Before sending a bug report, make
sure you have read this section of Org's manual: Feedback

Perhaps people asking questions don't think of them as bug reports, but
they are: if one cannot find a way to do something, it's a bug: it may
be a code bug or a documentation bug - or it may be a user bug.  But to
figure out which it is, we need information: relevant information to be
sure, but complete information as well - as complete as possible.

There are also many, many guides on the web on how to ask questions
(e.g. http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html). But when push
comes to shove, all of that seems to go out the window - at least
sometimes. The point is that all of us have asked questions badly and
all of us will do it again, no matter what.

I overdid the rant (and didn't put any smilies in there), so it came
across too harsh, which was not my intention, but apart from that, an
occasional rant on the list can serve as a useful reminder about these
expectations.

But if you have ideas on how to make us all ask smarter questions, I for
one, am all ears.

Nick

PS. BTW, my favorite example of a "minimal example" was something that
Bernt Hansen posted a little more than a year ago: an obscure bug that
had plagued Org for a while and that was very tricky to reproduce.
Bernt came up with a method that involved a minimal .emacs and an .org
file and more than a dozen steps - but it was a consistent reproducer of
the bug and Carsten had it fixed in no time: a textbook case of an
exemplary bug report and an ideal to aspire to!

See the thread starting at

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16970

@ 2010-10-20  4:49                 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-20  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Responded to Nick instead of CC'ing the group, as I am wont to do.
Apologies. My e-mail is below.

@ 2010-10-20  5:05               ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-20  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Nick

> Perhaps people asking questions don't think of them as bug reports,

Orgmode list has people from non-programming disciplines as well. That
could be one of the reasons.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-27 22:28               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-10-27 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> There is a fairly clear list of expectations in section 1.4, Feedback,
> of the Org manual.

I added a link to the Feedback section and another to ESR "How To Ask
Questions The Smart Way" on the index page of http://orgmode.org

Thanks everyone!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Title page for book latex export
@ 2010-10-28  9:00                 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Jordi Inglada, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

> I added a link to the Feedback section and another to ESR "How To Ask
> Questions The Smart Way" on the index page of http://orgmode.org
>
> Thanks everyone!

Thank you for sharing, Bastien. I had never read that essay before.
And it's exactly where I would expect to find it.

Best,
Jeff