* Capture question
@ 2011-02-25  0:02 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-25  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to setup capture for the first time and am getting some odd
behavior. I've been following the manual and my .emacs has this:

,-----
| ;; capture
| (setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "~/org/2011-02Feb.org"
"Tracking"))
| (global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
| (setq org-capture-templates
|  '(("t" "todo" entry (file+headline "~/org/2011-02Feb.org" "Tracking")
|             "* TODO %?\n")))
| (define-key global-map "\C-c c"
|   (lambda () (interactive) (org-capture "t")))
`-----

My questions/issues:
1) The biggest is that when I capture and then use C-c C-c to file it, I'm
getting odd headline behavior. My file structure is like so:
,-----
`-----
| #+ setupfile: ~/path/to/setupfile.org
| * Tracking
| ** TODO stuff
| ** TODO more stuff
| ** TODO even more stuff
| * [date]
| ** Notes
| * [date]
| ** Notes
`-----

In other words, I have a file per month and one headline per day with my
work notes. When I use capture, I get this when I visit the file next:
,-----
| * Tracking
| ** TODO stuff
| ** TODO more stuff
| ** TODO even more stuff
| ** TODO the captured note...* [date]
`-----

So it's like the captured note gets inserted before a different headline for
some reason. I can't expand the captured TODO, but if I highlight the date
and expand it, then it rights itself and the * [date] that's appended to the
captured TODO goes back to being a first level headline and the capture TODO
is on a line by itself. Why might this be happening?

2) The manual suggests some methods of automatically setting the capture
target when using templates. My files are always "year-##Month.org" (like
2011-02Feb.org). Could I set this somehow to automatically cycle based on
the date? I don't know what "handles" I have at my disposal with eslisp to
do something like that.

3) The manual suggestion of using:
,-----
| (define-key global-map "\C-c c"
|   (lambda () (interactive) (org-capture "t")))
`-----
does not seem to be working. I still have to pick [t] when the capture
template window pops up. I won't really use capture for anything else
besides refilling todos and starting a clock since I only am ever using one
file rather (since it's time based note-taking vs. having a file per
project/customer/etc.). As this is the case, yes, I would love if C-c c
automatically just brought up the TODO template I have defined above.

Many thanks,
John