* What WebDAV service do you use for syncing org files?
@ 2010-10-21  8:19 Jeff Horn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-21  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

I keep wanting to test out MobileOrg on my Android phone, but I'm
having a heck of a time figuring out why the SD sync isn't working
like I expect. I'd like to sync org files with a WebDAV server, if
possible. I currently use Dropbox, but it doesn't offer WebDAV. I can
mount a WebDAV server in the file system so it'll work *kind of* like
Dropbox.

I can't seem to find a straight solution through Google. Any
suggestions? What do you use?

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: What WebDAV service do you use for syncing org files?
@ 2010-10-21  8:38 ` Jeff Horn
       [not found] ` <AANLkTimv7KcpdLu_aUeZ8HKbNFb91=yjCnOpf9zVYTe1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Well, I just answered my own question as far as getting MobileOrg to
work... I just set the WebDAV directory to a local directory within
Dropbox. I thought it had to be WebDAV (like that would make a
difference).

I'm still interested to know what everyone uses to sync working files, though.

--

@ 2010-10-21  9:27   ` Holger Wenzel
From: Holger Wenzel @ 2010-10-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

> Well, I just answered my own question as far as getting MobileOrg to
> work... I just set the WebDAV directory to a local directory within
> Dropbox. I thought it had to be WebDAV (like that would make a
> difference).
>
> I'm still interested to know what everyone uses to sync working files, though.

I've got my Android rooted and have a ssh server running there.

Then I use the following hooks to run the scp command to copy the files
back and forth.

(setq org-mobile-post-push-hook  '(lambda ()
																		(shell-command "scp ~/org/mobile/*.org magic_home:/sdcard/stage")
																		))
(setq org-mobile-pre-pull-hook
			'(lambda ()
				 (shell-command "scp magic_home:/sdcard/mobileorg/mobileorg.org /home/hw/org/mobile")
				 )
			)

So my org files never leave my network and all traffic is encrypted.

There is an ftp-server available for Android phones that should let you
do similar things, if you didn't root your phone.

Holger

* Re: Re: What WebDAV service do you use for syncing org files?
@ 2010-10-21  9:28   ` Jean-Marie Gaillourdet
From: Jean-Marie Gaillourdet @ 2010-10-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode List

Hi Jeff,

On 21.10.2010, at 10:38, Jeff Horn wrote:

> Well, I just answered my own question as far as getting MobileOrg to
> work... I just set the WebDAV directory to a local directory within
> Dropbox. I thought it had to be WebDAV (like that would make a
> difference).
>
> I'm still interested to know what everyone uses to sync working files, though.
I'm using mydisk.se, which is a free WebDAV service.

-- Jean

* Re: What WebDAV service do you use for syncing org files?
@ 2010-10-21 12:52 ` Greg Troxel
       [not found] ` <AANLkTimv7KcpdLu_aUeZ8HKbNFb91=yjCnOpf9zVYTe1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-21 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> I keep wanting to test out MobileOrg on my Android phone, but I'm
> having a heck of a time figuring out why the SD sync isn't working
> like I expect. I'd like to sync org files with a WebDAV server, if
> possible. I currently use Dropbox, but it doesn't offer WebDAV. I can
> mount a WebDAV server in the file system so it'll work *kind of* like
> Dropbox.

The org mode part just needs to have a directory it can put files into
so that the client can access them.  Then the mobileorg client has to
get at them.  So you have to have someplace where you can make both
work. I think the options are

* dropbox

Use a dropbox client locally, to make dropbox space appear to be part of
local filesystem, and just set org-mobile-directory to be in there.
MobileOrg (iphone) has support for that; not sure about android versoin.

I think it's ridiculous to use a 3rd party server without encrypting
your org files, but of course your privacy views may be different.

* local apache

I have an org setup where I have org-mobile-directory set to ~/ORG-dav,
which is just a directory on my disk (NetBSD, UFS2, nothing fancy).  I
have apache configured to put that directory into the webspace, and
configure MobileOrg to do webdav there, and set up .htaccess.  I have to
be careful to set up permissions so apache as www/www can access the
files - it's a bit hairy.

* remote apache with ssh

I have another org setup where I have org-mobile-directory set:

(setq org-mobile-directory "/ssh:foo.example.com:/usr/home/gdt/ORG")

which causes org-mobile to use tramp to place/fetch the files.  I then
have the same apache setup.

* remote apache with a dav fs

I haven't set this up, but it should be possible to use a webdav fs
(fuse, etc.) on the computer with the org files to be the staging area,
so that emacs will write over dav.  This is pleasing from a permission
point of view, because then the files that apache deals with are
accessed by two webdav clients with the same credentials, and the apache
permission scheme and the unix permission scheme don't have to be
deconflicted.

My apache setup is striaght by the book, with htdigest.

DavLockDB "/usr/pkg/var/httpd/DavLock"
Alias /org/gdt "/home/gdt/ORG-dav"
<Directory "/home/gdt/ORG-dav">
    Options Indexes

    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

    DAV On

    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "special-auth-name"
    AuthDigestFile someplace

    <Limit GET PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
        Require valid-user
    </Limit>
</Directory>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: Re: What WebDAV service do you use for syncing org files?
@ 2010-10-21 17:33     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-21 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Wenzel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> There is an ftp-server available for Android phones that should let you
> do similar things, if you didn't root your phone.

My phone is *so* rooted. Like the first thing I did after unboxing.
The Verizon crapware was so annoying!

> I've got my Android rooted and have a ssh server running there.

I have a terminal emulator (I think it was installed with BusyBox).
Did your terminal come with an ssh server, or did you hack it in? Any
pointers or walkthroughs would be appreciated.

--

@ 2010-10-21 17:37   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C64 Whiz; +Cc: Org-mode ml

> Once received on the phone I save it (which goes to the root of the
> SDCard).  Next I use Astro to unzip the files to the directory I've
> configured MobileOrg for.

That is a great idea. I'll try that and see how it works, but I think
I'd like syncing in the long run. I could do something similar by
dropping the zip file in Dropbox and unzipping on the phone.

--

@ 2010-10-21 19:09       ` Holger Wenzel
From: Holger Wenzel @ 2010-10-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jeff,

>> There is an ftp-server available for Android phones that should let you
>> do similar things, if you didn't root your phone.
>
> My phone is *so* rooted. Like the first thing I did after unboxing.
> The Verizon crapware was so annoying!
>
>> I've got my Android rooted and have a ssh server running there.
>
> I have a terminal emulator (I think it was installed with BusyBox).
> Did your terminal come with an ssh server, or did you hack it in? Any
> pointers or walkthroughs would be appreciated.

I have a HTC Magic, and use the Cyanogenmod ROM. There the ssh daemon
dropbear is included. It is just a matter to set it up.

A google search on "$YOUR_PHONE android dropbear" should tell you, if
this sshd daemon is running you your device as well.

@ 2010-11-01  5:18         ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-01  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Wenzel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have a HTC Magic, and use the Cyanogenmod ROM. There the ssh daemon
> dropbear is included. It is just a matter to set it up.
>
> A google search on "$YOUR_PHONE android dropbear" should tell you, if
> this sshd daemon is running you your device as well.

Thanks. The HTC Incredible has been funny with Cyanogen for some
reason (randomly rebooting in the middle of calls). I'm running a
different mod, but getting dropbear to work has been more trouble than
I wanted. I found a nice (paid) app in the market called "quicksshd".

Thanks for the suggestion. I like this option much better than having
things floating in the cloud.

Best,
Jeff