* [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-03  4:34 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-03  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey list,

I just found out about Taskwarrior today - http://taskwarrior.org. It
seems to be a quite ambitious project to turn the CLI into a
full-fledged GTD environment. I wouldn't leave org for it, but I
thought it's quite nice and maybe some ideas could be borrowed or even
integrations made. Anyway, just for the record. Check it out!

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-03 12:41 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-03 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey list,
>
> I just found out about Taskwarrior today - http://taskwarrior.org. It
> seems to be a quite ambitious project to turn the CLI into a
> full-fledged GTD environment. I wouldn't leave org for it, but I
> thought it's quite nice and maybe some ideas could be borrowed or even
> integrations made. Anyway, just for the record. Check it out!

I'm not about to move from org but this does look quite nice.  I
particularly like the graph on the main page.  It's something one could
generate from org LOG entries...  when I'm bored!
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.304.g71203.dirty)

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-03 18:29   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-03 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

Yeah, it's a quite nice project. I don't think it'd work for me as a
PIM environment though. I think emacs (or vim with the new
org-compatible plugin) will always be faster in this sense. Also, it
lacks the reference aspect of any GTD system (a wiki or wiki-like
collection of reference documents) which org seamlessly integrates.
However, I think that it could give some ideas for some org-compatible
CLI tools. Although emacs is the "server" and main "client" when it
comes to org, I think that the more tools that can read and write to
the org format, the better ;)

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-03 18:32     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

By the way, now that you mention it, Eric. Is there anything right now
that can generate graphs akin to what taskwarrior generates for
archived org data? This would be awesome to track progress.

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-03 19:11       ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-02-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo,

I've started dreaming of a system called 'org-dashboard'
that will do things like this.  E.g., progress tracking for
projects, books, weight loss goals.  Graphics of time tracking
for sleeping hours, work hours, exercise hours, etc.  Simple
counts of how many Coke's you drink, etc.  The idea will be
to incorporate all these different types of information into
an easy to read screen with simple graphics and tables, able
to be exported to HTML or PDF for, say, daily review.  This
could integrate with org-habit also.

I'm very much in the design phase now, no code.  I should have some
time to work on this in the coming months.  I'll definitely keep
the list updated with progress.

You could easily do this stuff now with, say, R code blocks, but
I am imagining a cohesive system.  What I'm dreaming of may in fact
be possible with some simple customized agenda hacking, I will
investigate that first.

--Erik

@ 2011-02-03 21:01         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-03 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Marcelo,
>
> I've started dreaming of a system called 'org-dashboard'

[...]

> I'm very much in the design phase now, no code.  I should have some

but sounds good!  I look forward to it.

The trick will be to ensure that the correct data have been recorded.
For instance, to generate the graph shown on the taskwarrior web page,
you would have to have recorded when tasks were created and when they
were completed.  For many of my tasks, I have the latter but not the
former.  But easy enough to specify and record that kind of information,
of course.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.308.g809b5.dirty)

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-03 21:05           ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-02-03 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>
>> Marcelo,
>>
>> I've started dreaming of a system called 'org-dashboard'
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm very much in the design phase now, no code.  I should have some
>
> but sounds good!  I look forward to it.
>
> The trick will be to ensure that the correct data have been recorded.

As a practicing statistician, I am well aware that this can
be quite a trick! :)

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-03 22:04             ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-03 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Org Mode

@Erik -- that sounds awesome! Really looking forward to it.

Have you guys noticed the coincidence? We have two Eri[k][c]s here :D

Bastien, Carnsten, what do you guys think of Taskwarrior? :)

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-04  1:14 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi,

maybe someone should contact the devs there and invite them (to come to
this email list and/or vice versa).
There is really some beauty in the idea to use dead simple command line
tools to getting things fast and quickly done. On the other hand
org-mode has so many useful functions.
It would be a very nice integration for both sides to settle down on a
way to import/export data from each other seamlessly.
I work often with a shell and this would allow people to use the command
line whenever they just need to do to something quickly and switching to
emacs and org-mode if they need editor capabilities.

Greetings

Totti

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04  2:59   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-04  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe someone should contact the devs there and invite them (to come to
> this email list and/or vice versa).
> There is really some beauty in the idea to use dead simple command line
> tools to getting things fast and quickly done. On the other hand org-mode
> has so many useful functions.

I hear the "torn-ness." I looked at todo.txt[1] and TaskWarrior and
TaskPaper[2] prior to finding org-mode. I actually found org-mode but didn't
know emacs and ran away for a few months while trying to stick with my
hybridized TiddlyWiki + TeamTasks[3] system. Org-mode is fantastic, but I
know the appeal of those command line tools. The simple commands, lightness,
and dead simplicity are hard to beat.

Perhaps a nice tradeoff would be to get something from the command line that
could work with one's remember template via the command line. This is where
I see the advantage of a command line interface. I, too, have a terminal
open and/or can open one faster than emacs for a quick command. With some
terminals like tilda[4] just a keystroke away, one could be really fast with
these kinds of notes... faster than (for me) Ctrl+Alt+E (emacs), C-x C-f
file.org, M-S-> (eof), type "* whatever", C-c C-t, C-x C-s, C-c C-x.

Imagine being able to pop open a terminal and type '$ org-todo "call so and
so on friday" ~/org/task.org' and be done :)

I don't really care that much about the graphs, but the quick filing would
be nice. I'd also like access via a script to todos, perhaps for conky
integration. Even 'cat file.org |grep -A 2 TODO' isn't half bad, though.
Something like a cli agenda access would be pretty cool.

John

[1] http://todotxt.com/
[2] http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper
[3] http://getteamtasks.com/
[4]
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/12/17/tilda-a-quake-style-terminal-for-gnome/

@ 2011-02-04  2:59   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-04  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Tosten,

They are already talking about org, check this out:

http://taskwarrior.org/boards/8/topics/show/208

A CLI client would be nice, but IMHO, I don't think it would be faster
than the operating org from emacs; perhaps for a couple of basic
stuff, but I think that depends strongly on personal tastes.

Marcelo.

@ 2011-02-04  3:12     ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi John

Actually, this comes down to the point which was discussed already
sometimes. Creating a org-mode API which could be accessed from
CLI-tools was well as from other programs (Thunderbird and Firfox
plugins come to my mind but Conky and other programs might use it to
extract data from org-mode too.)
A nice definition of functions which can be used to interact with
org-mode of a emacs-daemon would be perfect.

In my opinion a very interesting idea and maybe a somehow missing to
allow a even more tied integration org-mode in once personal work-flow.

Greetings

Torsten

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04  3:51       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-04  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode

If we could somehow turn emacs into a headless server, it would be
nice. I don't know enough elisp or emacs architecture to know if it
could be turned into a web server, for example. But that's an awesome
idea.

@ 2011-02-04  4:00     ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

> A CLI client would be nice, but IMHO, I don't think it would be faster
> than the operating org from emacs; perhaps for a couple of basic
> stuff, but I think that depends strongly on personal tastes.

For me the most nicest part to have a CLI interface to org-mode would be
the fact that I could use all the command line magic instantaneous.
E.g.,

git log -n1 | org add "Remember to check the last commit"

could end up in

* Remember to check the last commit

commit b9de5f08ba0833d2b1912d02335667e8e6cc17b
Author: User Foo <foo@bar.com>
Date:   Mon Dec 20 14:50:05 2010 -1000

This comment might fixes the bug Totti was dealing with

or a simple

ls | org add "The files I have not processed so fare"

could end up in

* "The files I have not processed so fare"

file1
file2
file6
file11

and a

org agenda next | xargs awesome-client notifyme("{}")

could create a pop up in my window manager (awesome wm) informing me
about the next appointment in my agenda.

Even more into hardware details,
a udev-rule could be used to send a certain command to org-mode whenever
a specific USB-stick is inserted in the computer.
People who like to clock there work might love this feature.

There are actually hundreds of possible nice combinations...

All the best

Totti

@ 2011-02-04  4:03         ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-04  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send simple
requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the org-mode
function might do this already, however, I guess a decent layer which
hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to use in- and
output functions might be more effective.

Greetings

Totti

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04  4:23           ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2011-02-04  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2/3/2011 8:03 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Hi Marcelo,
>
> Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
> emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send simple
> requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the org-mode
> function might do this already, however, I guess a decent layer which
> hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to use in- and
> output functions might be more effective.

There is also PyOrgMode which can probably be developed as an
intermediary between the two.  I, for one, find Python *much* more
approachable than elisp... :)

Mark

@ 2011-02-04  9:19     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Perhaps a nice tradeoff would be to get something from the command line that
> could work with one's remember template via the command line. This is

yes, using org-capture does help a lot and combining this with
emacsclient does give the ability to do command line capturing quite nicely.

> these kinds of notes... faster than (for me) Ctrl+Alt+E (emacs), C-x C-f
> file.org, M-S-> (eof), type "* whatever", C-c C-t, C-x C-s, C-c C-x.

I think this is much more convoluted than you need; if you have
org-capture set up appropriately, the following would be equivalent:

Ctrl+Alt+E (emacs), C-c c X "whatever", C-c C-c, C-c C-x !

where X would be the specific capture task to perform (such as t for
todo etc).

> Imagine being able to pop open a terminal and type '$ org-todo "call so and
> so on friday" ~/org/task.org' and be done :)

I can already do:

: emacsclient -e '(org-capture nil "t")'

to invoke my todo capture template.  I have not yet figured out if one
could automatically specify the text to go with any particular capture
template, however.  A quick look at the code didn't help me.

--

@ 2011-02-04 15:48       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-02-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Actually, this comes down to the point which was discussed already
> sometimes. Creating a org-mode API which could be accessed from
> CLI-tools was well as from other programs (Thunderbird and Firfox
> plugins come to my mind but Conky and other programs might use it to
> extract data from org-mode too.)

+1

Perhaps the python parsers discussed in previous threads would provide a
nice starting point. Though one might require something that could parse
org-files a bit more quickly. :)

I imagine one problem here would be potential IO conflicts if one has
org files open in emacs and simultaneously trieds to access them from
the command line, API, etc.

- Matt

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04 16:22           ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2011-02-04 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Dbus bindings?

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Marcelo,
>
> Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
> emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send
> simple requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the
> org-mode function might do this already, however, I guess a decent
> layer which hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to
> use in- and output functions might be more effective.
>
> Greetings
>
> Totti

𝓒𝓱𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓐𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓷 𝓦𝓮𝓫𝓫𝓮𝓻

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04 18:03             ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: Org Mode

Must be something that is really cross-platform. Don't forget there
are OSX and Windows users around!

@ 2011-02-04 19:16             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-04 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mark Elston <m_elston@comcast.net> writes:

> On 2/3/2011 8:03 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
>> Hi Marcelo,
>>
>> Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
>> emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send simple
>> requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the org-mode
>> function might do this already, however, I guess a decent layer which
>> hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to use in- and
>> output functions might be more effective.
>>

> There is also PyOrgMode which can probably be developed as an
> intermediary between the two.  I, for one, find Python *much* more
> approachable than elisp... :)

The only problem here is that you will invariably begin re-implementing
the entirety of Org-mode in python.  I think that an emacsclient backend
exposing an Org-mode api is the best bet, then a Python wrapper around
such a backend could be appropriate for writing the front-end interface.

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04 20:38       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-04 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

I think such a shell-script wrapper around an emacs-client or emacs
batch Org-mode instance sounds like a very nice idea -- and not overly
difficult to implement.

Here is a quick approach to implementing the org agenda example you
suggested below [1] notice that the script is structured to dispatch on
the first command, currently only "agenda" is implemented but it
shouldn't be difficult to add others.

Also, rather than a single org script like the one attached which
dispatches based on its first argument, we could go the git path i.e.,
we can have org-agenda and org-add in the same way that git has git-log
and git-push.

Best -- Eric

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Marcelo,
>
>> A CLI client would be nice, but IMHO, I don't think it would be faster
>> than the operating org from emacs; perhaps for a couple of basic
>> stuff, but I think that depends strongly on personal tastes.
>
> For me the most nicest part to have a CLI interface to org-mode would
> be the fact that I could use all the command line magic instantaneous.
> E.g.,
>
> git log -n1 | org add "Remember to check the last commit"
>
> could end up in
>
> * Remember to check the last commit
>
> commit b9de5f08ba0833d2b1912d02335667e8e6cc17b
> Author: User Foo <foo@bar.com>
> Date:   Mon Dec 20 14:50:05 2010 -1000
>
> This comment might fixes the bug Totti was dealing with
>

> or a simple
>
> ls | org add "The files I have not processed so fare"
>
> could end up in
>
> * "The files I have not processed so fare"
>
> file1
> file2
> file6
> file11
>
> and a
>
> org agenda next | xargs awesome-client notifyme("{}")
>
> could create a pop up in my window manager (awesome wm) informing me
> about the next appointment in my agenda.
>
> Even more into hardware details,
> a udev-rule could be used to send a certain command to org-mode
> whenever a specific USB-stick is inserted in the computer.
> People who like to clock there work might love this feature.
>
> There are actually hundreds of possible nice combinations...
>

> All the best
>
> Totti
>

>> Marcelo.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Torsten Wagner<torsten.wagner@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> maybe someone should contact the devs there and invite them (to come to this
>>> email list and/or vice versa).
>>> There is really some beauty in the idea to use dead simple command line
>>> tools to getting things fast and quickly done. On the other hand org-mode
>>> has so many useful functions.
>>> It would be a very nice integration for both sides to settle down on a way
>>> to import/export data from each other seamlessly.
>>> I work often with a shell and this would allow people to use the command
>>> line whenever they just need to do to something quickly and switching to
>>> emacs and org-mode if they need editor capabilities.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Totti

Footnotes:
[1]  org script

[-- Attachment #2: org --]
[-- Type: text/x-sh, Size: 1863 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh
# -*- mode: shell-script -*-
# org --- Calls Org-mode from the command line:
#
# Author: Eric Schulte
#
# Usage:
#
#   1. update ORGINSTALL and ORGCONFIG to point to your local
#      org-install.el and your local org-mode configuration
#      (for things like org-agenda-files)
#
#   2. make this file executable
#
#   3. run one of the following commands
#
#      org agenda fmt   ## where fmt is one of txt, html, ps or ics
#      no other commands yet...
#
ORGINSTALL="~/emacs/src/org/lisp/org-install.el"
ORGCONFIG="~/emacs/eschulte-org.el"

## wrappers for the eval command sent to Emacs
ORGSTARTUPOPEN=$(cat <<EOF )
(progn
  (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/emacs/src/org/lisp/"))
  (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/emacs/src/org/contrib/lisp/"))
  (require 'org)(require 'org-exp)
EOF
ORGSTARTUPCLOSE=")"

## dispatch on the first command -- currently only "agenda" is supported
case $1 in
    agenda) # write the agenda to stdout in format of $2
    FILLER=$(cat <<EOF )
;; function definitions -- could be placed in org-mode/contrib
(defun org-agenda-to-string (fmt)
  (let ((tmp-file (make-temp-file "org-tmp" nil (concat "." fmt)))
        output)
    (save-window-excursion
      (org-batch-agenda "a")
      (org-write-agenda tmp-file))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert-file-contents-literally tmp-file)
      (setq output (buffer-string)))
    (delete-file tmp-file)
    output))
(org-agenda-to-string "$2")
EOF
        ;;
    *)
        echo "unknown";;
esac

# Notice the use of `princ' to write to STDOUT and use of
# `with-output-to-temp-buffer' command to ensure nothing else is
# written to STDOUT.
EL=$(cat <<EOF )
$ORGSTARTUPOPEN
(princ (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*trash*" $FILLER))
$ORGSTARTUPCLOSE
EOF

# echo "$EL" ## testing
emacs -Q --batch -l $ORGINSTALL -l $ORGCONFIG --eval "$EL" 2> /dev/null

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-04 21:53               ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2011-02-04 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/4/2011 11:16 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Mark Elston<m_elston@comcast.net>  writes:
>
>> On 2/3/2011 8:03 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
>>> Hi Marcelo,
>>>
>>> Emacs can run as a dameon and as that you could access it via
>>> emacsclient. What is needed is a nice interface to allow to send simple
>>> requests to insert and fetch data from org-mode. Some of the org-mode
>>> function might do this already, however, I guess a decent layer which
>>> hides the complex org-mode routines and provides simple to use in- and
>>> output functions might be more effective.
>>>

>> There is also PyOrgMode which can probably be developed as an
>> intermediary between the two.  I, for one, find Python *much* more
>> approachable than elisp... :)
>>

> The only problem here is that you will invariably begin re-implementing
> the entirety of Org-mode in python.  I think that an emacsclient backend
> exposing an Org-mode api is the best bet, then a Python wrapper around
> such a backend could be appropriate for writing the front-end interface.

I suppose that depends on what the CLI would have to do.  This
discussion was about how to transfer data between the two frameworks.
You wouldn't have to implement all of org-mode in python to read through
an org-mode file, though I admit some sections would be more difficult
than others (org-babel stuff, for example).

I have found that the kind of stuff I would like to transfer from org to
something else (and vice versa) is pretty simple most of the time.  The
more complex org-files are not calendar/agenda kinds of things but
documents I use org to manage as I write (class notes/handouts/etc).  My
calendar/agenda stuff is reasonably simple and could pretty easily be
parsed by most languages that have some support for parsing (built-in,
or library/tool support a la yacc/lex, etc.).  Other people might have
more significant requirements, I suppose.

Mark

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-05  9:25       ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2011-02-05  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi,

  >> Imagine being able to pop open a terminal and type '$ org-todo "call so and
  >> so on friday" ~/org/task.org' and be done :)

  ESF> I can already do:

  ESF> : emacsclient -e '(org-capture nil "t")'

  ESF> to invoke my todo capture template.  I have not yet figured out if one
  ESF> could automatically specify the text to go with any particular capture
  ESF> template, however.  A quick look at the code didn't help me.

What about using org-protocol? If you have a capture template like:

       ("x" "store todo item from command line" entry
       (file+headline "todo.org" "Tasks")
       "* TODO %i\n\t%u")

You can use something like:

   $ emacsclient "org-protocol:/capture:/x/a/b/buy milk"

(it seems org-protocol gets confused when you leave out the the a/b dummy
args)

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-05 20:52         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-05 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djcb; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb.bulk@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

>   >> Imagine being able to pop open a terminal and type '$ org-todo "call so and
>   >> so on friday" ~/org/task.org' and be done :)
>
>   ESF> I can already do:
>
>   ESF> : emacsclient -e '(org-capture nil "t")'
>
>   ESF> to invoke my todo capture template.  I have not yet figured out if one
>   ESF> could automatically specify the text to go with any particular capture
>   ESF> template, however.  A quick look at the code didn't help me.
>
> What about using org-protocol? If you have a capture template like:
>
>        ("x" "store todo item from command line" entry
>        (file+headline "todo.org" "Tasks")
>        "* TODO %i\n\t%u")
>
> You can use something like:
>
>    $ emacsclient "org-protocol:/capture:/x/a/b/buy milk"

Yes, this works nicely.  Thanks!

However, it's the first step towards the original specification.  We
want to be able to simply have the note saved -- that is, no interaction
with emacs directly.  Can this be done as well?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.315.g68cf7.dirty)

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-06 17:50           ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2011-02-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Marcelo, Org Mode, de Moraes Serpa

Hi,

  >> What about using org-protocol? If you have a capture template like:
  >>
  >> ("x" "store todo item from command line" entry
  >> (file+headline "todo.org" "Tasks")
  >> "* TODO %i\n\t%u")
  >>
  >> You can use something like:
  >>
  >> $ emacsclient "org-protocol:/capture:/x/a/b/buy milk"

  ESF> Yes, this works nicely.  Thanks!

  ESF> However, it's the first step towards the original specification.  We
  ESF> want to be able to simply have the note saved -- that is, no interaction
  ESF> with emacs directly.  Can this be done as well?

Sure, there is the immediate-finish property:

  ("x" "store snippet" entry ;; 's' for 'org-protocol'
       (file+headline "todo.org" "Notes")
       "* TODO %i\n\t%u" :immediate-finish t)

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--

@ 2011-02-06 17:52           ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2011-02-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

@ 2011-02-06 19:14             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djcb; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

[...]

>   ESF> However, it's the first step towards the original specification.  We
>   ESF> want to be able to simply have the note saved -- that is, no interaction
>   ESF> with emacs directly.  Can this be done as well?
>
> Sure, there is the immediate-finish property:
>
>   ("x" "store snippet" entry ;; 's' for 'org-protocol'
>        (file+headline "todo.org" "Notes")
>        "* TODO %i\n\t%u" :immediate-finish t)
>
> Best wishes,
> Dirk.

Sigh... I knew that <blush>.  Thanks for reminding me!

However, although it works just fine, each time I use it, the
mini-buffer on any Emacs frame display the message "Org-mode not
loaded."?  org is very much loaded and, in fact, the same message
appears even if I have the agenda visible!

Anyway, this is just curiosity.  The capture works very well indeed.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.317.gca220.dirty)

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-07 15:45               ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2011-02-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

As I understand it, D-bus works on windows, OSX, GNU/Linux.

Why reinvent the wheel?

--
𝓒𝓱𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓐𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓷 𝓦𝓮𝓫𝓫𝓮𝓻

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-11 11:14               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien, Carnsten, what do you guys think of Taskwarrior? :)

I think it's pretty neat and that creating an org2taskwarrior export
should be easy so that we can benefit of the nice taskwarrior graphs.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
@ 2011-02-11 19:48                 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-02-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

That's a nice idea. Integration would be cool, besides, a
taskwarrior2org (to sync back to the original org files) would be
useful. Since CLI is a simpler interface, it could be used from
anywhere where ssh is available... smartphones, for example; although
we already have mobile-org. Food for thought.

Cheers,

Marcelo.