* Org-mode and fill-column value
@ 2011-02-25 22:03 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-25 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to set my fill-column variable to a bit higher value since I
have no real need to keep it at 70, however my attempts seem not to be
working.

The relevant section in .emacs looks like this:
,-----
| (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
`-----

I then added this line:
,-----
| (setq fill-column 85)
`-----

I've tried using it before and after the text-mode-hook setting above, but
when I restart emacs and do =C-x f= to set the fill-column variable to 85,
the minibuffer reports:
,-----
| Fill column set to 85 (was 70)
`-----

Something isn't getting set. I guess this isn't necessarily an org-mode
issue, but I thought someone might know why it's happening here? I can't
find much discussion when searching for org-mode users also using fill and
if they set the fill-column value or not.

Thanks,
John

* Re: Org-mode and fill-column value
@ 2011-02-25 22:07 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-02-25 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set my fill-column variable to a bit higher value since I have no real need to keep it at 70, however my attempts seem not to be working.
>
> The relevant section in .emacs looks like this:
> ,-----
> | (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> `-----
>
> I then added this line:
> ,-----
> | (setq fill-column 85)
> `-----
>
> I've tried using it before and after the text-mode-hook setting above, but when I restart emacs and do =C-x f= to set the fill-column variable to 85, the minibuffer reports:
> ,-----
> | Fill column set to 85 (was 70)
> `-----
>
> Something isn't getting set. I guess this isn't necessarily an org-mode issue, but I thought someone might know why it's happening here? I can't find much discussion when searching for org-mode users also using fill and if they set the fill-column value or not.

It becomes buffer-local when set in any way. Try

(setq-default fill-column 85)

in your .emacs.

Nick

* Re: Org-mode and fill-column value