When working on a document, I tend to sprinkle TODO headlines throughout the doc. These are really very loosely structured; they just represent things that I need to do somewhat near the area that I'm looking at. I mark these lines with a :noexport: tag in order to prevent them from being exported. As such, they're not part of the document structure per-se, and I often mark them as top level headlines. Since EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS applies to a tree and not to a title, this prevents the export of any subordinate items. Here's an example: * An amazing headline ** stuff ** more stuff * TODO clean up the stuff above :noexport: ** this is stuff that I would like exported In the example above, I'd like to have the everything but the TODO headline exported, including the "this is stuff I would like exported" line. I guess that I could always have my TODO lines be at a very deep level. Is there any other solution I should consider? Thanks, Sam