* question about indirect buffers for capture and line-breaks
@ 2011-02-24 12:33 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've turned off hard line breaks for various reasons.  I do it like this:

> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>           '(lambda ()
>              (auto-fill-mode nil)
>              (visual-line-mode t)))

However, in the indirect buffers used by capture, hard line breaks are still
in place.
I've looked, but can't find an explanation of how to control this.

Can anyone advise me?
Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: question about indirect buffers for capture and line-breaks
@ 2011-02-24 16:07 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-02-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What happens if you use (auto-fill-mode -1) intead?

,----[ C-h f auto-fill-mode RET ]
| auto-fill-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `simple.el'.
|
| (auto-fill-mode &optional ARG)
|
| Toggle Auto Fill mode.
| With ARG, turn Auto Fill mode on if and only if ARG is positive.
| In Auto Fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond `current-fill-column'
| automatically breaks the line at a previous space.
|
| The value of `normal-auto-fill-function' specifies the function to use
| for `auto-fill-function' when turning Auto Fill mode on.
`----

I think "nil" counts as a positive number. Maybe that's a bug? I dunno.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Filippo A. Salustri
<salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've turned off hard line breaks for various reasons.  I do it like this:
>>
>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>>           '(lambda ()
>>              (auto-fill-mode nil)
>>              (visual-line-mode t)))
>
> However, in the indirect buffers used by capture, hard line breaks are still
> in place.
> I've looked, but can't find an explanation of how to control this.
> Can anyone advise me?
> Cheers.
> Fil
>
> --
> Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
> Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
> Ryerson University
> 350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON
> M5B 2K3, Canada
> Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
> Fax: 416/979-5265
> Email: salustri@ryerson.ca
> http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/

Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: question about indirect buffers for capture and line-breaks
@ 2011-02-24 16:09   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-02-24 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yep.

Evaluate the following two lines in the scratch buffer:

    (auto-fill-mode -1)
    (auto-fill-mode nil)

The first returns nil every time. The second returns true every time. Funky.

@ 2011-02-24 16:41     ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode