* [REQUEST] Calendar-view (was: Extended-period events in agenda views)
@ 2010-11-01 14:02 Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-01 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Konrad Hinsen
<konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been a happy org-mode user for a while, using more and more of
> org-mode for more and more things. By now I have completely replaced my use
> of iCal (on the Mac) by the org-mode agenda, with no regrets. However, there
> is one feature that I am still trying to get into my agenda view, but I
> didn't find a way to do it yet.
>
> There are a couple of long-lasting "events" that I would like to show in my
> agenda view. A typical example would be school vacation periods, but there
> are others: absences of a colleague, availability of some instrument, etc,
> Their common feature is that they can last very long (several weeks) and
> that they don't really occupy my agenda. I just want to know when planning
> something if a given day is in period X or not. So I'd like to see at a
> glance (using a specific font, color, one-letter prefix etc.) if a day falls
> into a certain predefined period. Simply adding a corresponding event to my
> agenda leads to visual clutter: it gets marked on every single day of the
> period.
>
> Is there any way to get what I am looking for?

+1 for this feature. Also, I think our desire for such a feature could
be met with a calendar-view, perhaps re-using some org-table or
org-columns source?

I'm envisioning I would very much like something akin to an ASCII
4-day calendar view (like the default Google Calendar view).

Even if we could line up four days' agenda views horizontally (with an
appointment-style timeline), I would find this useful.

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-11-01 14:03 UTC | newest]