* Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-10  2:26 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-10  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

Has anyone tried to use this combo? I find that viper is too slow when
in insert mode (when typing, actually), but only when in a buffer
where orgmode is activated. Any ideas ?

Marcelo.

* Re: Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-10  7:43 ` Jean-Marie Gaillourdet
From: Jean-Marie Gaillourdet @ 2011-01-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> Has anyone tried to use this combo? I find that viper is too slow when
> in insert mode (when typing, actually), but only when in a buffer
> where orgmode is activated. Any ideas ?

I've had that problem for a long time as well. And it seemed to me to be
a showstopper for using org together with viper. But somehow I managed
to improve the situation. I am sorry to not be more specific on this
issue. But I can assure you it is possible to have a working
configuration. I'd advice you to try loading org and viper in a clean
emacs session ("emacs -q"). I somehow remember there was also an issue
with the order in which I loaded org and viper. Currently I'm loading
org before viper.

My git history tells me that this line improved load times of the agenda
significantly:
(setq viper-suppress-input-method-change-message t)

Cheers,
  Jean-Marie

* Re: Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-10 22:14 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-01-10 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode

Hi Marcelo, hi all

I think I have drilled down this slowness to be related with
viper-mode color settings but now I can not help more. Since it seems
to be a problem only in org-mode I hope that someone with a Mac OS X
Cocoa Emacs 23 here on the list can analyze this further.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 03:26, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to use this combo? I find that viper is too slow when
> in insert mode (when typing, actually), but only when in a buffer
> where orgmode is activated. Any ideas ?

I noticed only now that I have this slowness when I start a Mac OS X
Cocoa Emacs 23.2.1 with -q. With my settings it happened only
sporadically every few weeks or months and disappeared I think after
closing the buffer and reopening the file.

Now I drilled down the slowness to be related with my color setting.
When I have no or an empty ~/.emacs and a ~/.viper with this content:

(setq viper-inhibit-startup-message 't)
(setq viper-expert-level '3)
(setq viper-vi-state-cursor-color     "sea green")
(setq viper-insert-state-cursor-color "sea green")

and enter viper-mode before or after opening a file in org-mode the
slowness disappears. When I uncomment only one of the two lines above
with the viper-*-state-cursor-color and restart Emacs the slowness is
back. When I stay in the buffer and change its major mode from
org-mode to fundamental-mode the slowness disappears again.

In a Linux GNU Emacs 23.2.1 I can not observe such slowness.

Michael

* Re: Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-10 23:21   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-10 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks Michael, I will try out your settings!

It seems that Cocoa Emacs has several problems. Even if it works well
overall, I've read in a lot of places users complaining about it, and
indeed, it has several rendering flaws, just use it for any extended
period of time and you'll spot a few, a bunch are related to
performance.

I hope the emacs developers spend more time on the Cocoa/OSX side of
things for version 24! MacVim has been getting a lot of hype and
attention lately and is very well supported, to make a quick
comparison here.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-01-11 20:47 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-01-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I haven't tried viper yet, but there's another version of emacs for OSX,
Aquamacs.  Has anyone tried to check slowness in Aquamacs?
...just a thought.
Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-11 22:38 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-01-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 21:47, Filippo A. Salustri <salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:
> I haven't tried viper yet, but there's another version of emacs for OSX,
> Aquamacs.  Has anyone tried to check slowness in Aquamacs?

I expected Aquamacs just to be too different to Cocoa Emacs, but now I
am surprised: In a Mac OS X Aquamacs-Emacs-2.1 there is also exactly
the same viper insert slowness when in org-mode, disappearing with
fundamental-mode or with the ~/.viper from my last post.

In a Mac OS X Carbon Emacs 22.3.1, the last Mac OS X Carbon I think, I
can not observe such slowness. Possibly because it is not Mac OS X
Cocoa and/or it is not Emacs 23.

Michael

* Re: Viper-mode + orgmode + emacs 23.xx on OSX, slowness in insert-mode
@ 2011-01-11 22:49   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-01-11 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode