From: brian powell <briangpowellms@gmail.com>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: Bayle Shanks <bshanks3@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-mode without stars
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:27:47 -0500	[thread overview]

The original "outline-mode" in EMACS which predates "org-mode" used stars.

Using stars "*" is the best way to do it; the reasons are many--OrgMode
files are flat text files and this is great too--but keep this in mind
here--think about searches, etc.

PYTHON uses indentation (and thats great); LISP silly/wonderful parens,
etc.--for EMACS use stars!  They look great!  They are the best thing to use
here:

Stars "*" are also used as the symbol for "regular-expressions"--based on
neurology/neurons/dendrites/trees/outline-trees/etc. and the "Kleene
Closure" (i.e. the mathematician Kleene)--the study of neurology and
regular-expressions and the stars "*" are intertwined--the history dates at
least back to the 1930s--and LISP/lambda calculus/Alonso Church/Kleene--the
1950s.

A star "*" @is@ a "Kleene Closure"--math.

A star "*" is easily recognized as a symbol for a note: From
http://Wiktionary.com: "  "*"== "Used at the beginning of a footnote ,
especially if it is the only one on the page, and after a word, phrase, or
sentence that this ..."

"So, why should I care"!? (you might have been thinking)

Well, howsabout this: Say you are searching for a string and/or regular
expression in a flat text file--you wouldn't search for "*"--you would
usually be search for a string (maybe an indentation level of stars "*")
using EMACS--which is by the way the fastest way to find such things --if
you are typing in real-time--emacs will highlight a search as you type
it--this function is very fast--Suggest you try these 2 examples: Cs
blah-search-string "***"--and maybe Mx search-for-regexp "***"---they have
different uses/meanings--when searching in EMACS) since emacs is the fastest
regular expression engine (for 1st-character(s)-recoginition (the engine is
optimized for this) so for this case/this type of search there is @nothing
faster@ (BTW check out QEMACS if you're working with a huge/gigabyte size
files--its fun to edit huge files with QEMACS--written by the same guy that
calculated PI with a desktop computer--to the longest # he also wrote QEMU
(Fabrice Bellard: http://bellard.org) for this type of regular-expression
search (many other engines are faster and use different algorithms--for the
purposes they were built for--and so they should be used then--each regexp
engine seems to have a niche.)

Use EMACS OrgMode and use stars "*", they really are the best for this case;
my brain is overheating thinking of the many good reasons.  But, "How do
they look when you print them out!?", etc.; well, I suggest you tailor that
with PERL, thats what I use--I quickly change doc formats to TeX--TeX is the
only thing that @really@ looks pretty!

Please "leave well enough alone"! That said, I hope you do whatever you want
and don't listen to me or anyone else on such matters--EMACS is infinitely
extensible, have fun!

;-)