So, I really like the emphasis bit that org-emphasis-alist gets me. But I find that the key characters to do the emphasis, as in /italics/, remain visible. It's distracting to me. I mean, since it's rendered in italics, it's redundant to show those '/' characters. I also know that all kinds of things get hidden in org, like the square parens in links. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the emphasis characters invisible. EG: /word/ would be rendered as "word" in italics, without the slashes. Cheers. Fil -- Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng. Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Ryerson University 350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON M5B 2K3, Canada Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749 Fax: 416/979-5265 Email: salustri@ryerson.ca http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/