* Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 16:58 Gaspaio
From: Gaspaio @ 2010-11-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie at org-mode (and emacs BTW), and i can't seem to use a few commands like table-delete-row, table-insert-row and so on. I systematically get a "Table not found" error.
Also, some of the Shift commands don't seem to work, like using S-UP/Down to navigate between headers. I tried toggle the org-support-shift-select, but nothing.

I'm using emacs.app v23.2 (OSX), with org-mode v7.2

Any ideas ?

Thanks.
Gaspaio

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 17:13 ` niklas | brueckenschlaeger
From: niklas | brueckenschlaeger @ 2010-11-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaspaio; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Try creating a table by typing |- and pressing TAB

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 17:58 +0100, Gaspaio wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm a newbie at org-mode (and emacs BTW), and i can't seem to use a few commands like table-delete-row, table-insert-row and so on. I systematically get a "Table not found" error.
> Also, some of the Shift commands don't seem to work, like using S-UP/Down to navigate between headers. I tried toggle the org-support-shift-select, but nothing.
>
> I'm using emacs.app v23.2 (OSX), with org-mode v7.2
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks.
> Gaspaio

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 17:21 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-11-29 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaspaio; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 17:58, Gaspaio <ggaspaio@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a newbie at org-mode (and emacs BTW), and i can't seem to use a few commands like table-delete-row, table-insert-row and so on. I systematically get a "Table not found" error.
> Also, some of the Shift commands don't seem to work, like using S-UP/Down to navigate between headers. I tried toggle the org-support-shift-select, but nothing.

Be aware of the two table formats:

table-delete-row, table-insert-row are for tables in the "table.el" format like
|                    User Visible Entry Points                     |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|           Function            |           Description            |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+

S-Up/Down are only for tables on the orgtbl format like
| x | y |
|---+---|
| 1 | 2 |
| 3 | 4 |

Michael

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 17:22   ` Gaspaio
From: Gaspaio @ 2010-11-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: niklas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the quick reply,
but it doesn't work either, "M-x table-delete-row" from inside the table still outputs the Table not found error.
What's weird is that other commands seems to work, like tabbing from cell to cell, etc.

On Nov 29, 2010, at 6:13 PM, niklas | brueckenschlaeger wrote:

> Try creating a table by typing |- and pressing TAB
>
> On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 17:58 +0100, Gaspaio wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm a newbie at org-mode (and emacs BTW), and i can't seem to use a few commands like table-delete-row, table-insert-row and so on. I systematically get a "Table not found" error.
>> Also, some of the Shift commands don't seem to work, like using S-UP/Down to navigate between headers. I tried toggle the org-support-shift-select, but nothing.
>>
>> I'm using emacs.app v23.2 (OSX), with org-mode v7.2
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Gaspaio

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 17:43   ` Gaspaio
From: Gaspaio @ 2010-11-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

AHA !

> table-delete-row, table-insert-row are for tables in the "table.el" format like
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                    User Visible Entry Points                     |
> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
> |           Function            |           Description            |
> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------+

Ok, this works. If i use table-insert, then table-delete-row works. Cool, thanks a lot.

But, the :

> S-Up/Down are only for tables on the orgtbl format like
> | x | y |
> |---+---|
> | 1 | 2 |
> | 3 | 4 |

Still don't seem to work. I toggled org-support-shift-select on and off but nothing. When i do S-UP/DOWN i get the normal emacs region expanding behavior, of, if i deactivate org-support-shift-select i get a cursor movement.
That said, M-x org-table-delete-column does work.

I gess its a binding problem …

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 18:26     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-11-29 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaspaio; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 18:43, Gaspaio <ggaspaio@gmail.com> wrote:
> When i do S-UP/DOWN i get the normal emacs region expanding
> behavior

For Org tables it is either M-Up/Down/Left/Right to move or
S-M-Up/Down/Left/Right to delete/insert.

Michael

* Re: Problem with tables
@ 2010-11-29 19:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-29 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaspaio; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, niklas

On Nov 29, 2010, at 6:22 PM, Gaspaio wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply,
> but it doesn't work either, "M-x table-delete-row" from inside the
> table still outputs the Table not found error.
> What's weird is that other commands seems to work, like tabbing from
> cell to cell, etc.

Org mode supports two kinds of tables.

It has its own, built-in version.  And you can have tables made with
the table.el package.  Any commands starting with table- can deal
only with the table.el stuff.

- Carsten