* view in browser
@ 2011-02-26 21:01 skip
From: skip @ 2011-02-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't know what I changed but I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to
view the org file in a browser. Now it just generates the file but not
open the browser. Same with PDF.

* Re: view in browser
@ 2011-02-28 18:06 ` skip
From: skip @ 2011-02-28 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser.
Now it just generates the file but not
open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know what changed, but how do I
get back the functionality? Thanks.

* Re: Re: view in browser
@ 2011-02-28 20:34   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-28 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skip; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

skip <scp0801@gmail.com> writes:

> I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser.
> Now it just generates the file but not
> open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know what changed, but how do I
> get back the functionality? Thanks.

Assuming you meant =C-c C-e b=, this does not work for me either;
however, =C-c C-e d= does work and opens the PDF in docview.  For
symmetry, I would have liked =b= to open my html in emacs w3m, I guess?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.553.g83b7.dirty)

* Re: Re: view in browser
@ 2011-02-28 21:42     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-02-28 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric and Skip,

Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser. Now it
>> just generates the file but not open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know
>> what changed, but how do I get back the functionality? Thanks.
>
> Assuming you meant =C-c C-e b=, this does not work for me either;

It still does work for me. Just tested it now, with:

    Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.553.g83b7)

> however, =C-c C-e d= does work and opens the PDF in docview. For symmetry, I
> would have liked =b= to open my html in emacs w3m, I guess?

Why not. But, for me, this should be a consequence of Emacs preferences
regarding the browser to use when clicking on a link.

See `browse-url-browser-function' and `browse-url-generic-program', among
others.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: view in browser
@ 2011-02-28 23:02     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: skip, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> skip <scp0801@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser.
> > Now it just generates the file but not
> > open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know what changed, but how do I
> > get back the functionality? Thanks.
>
> Assuming you meant =C-c C-e b=, this does not work for me either;
> however, =C-c C-e d= does work and opens the PDF in docview.  For
> symmetry, I would have liked =b= to open my html in emacs w3m, I guess?

As I mentioned, C-c C-e b works fine for me: Org-mode version 7.4
(release_7.4.530.g3c69).

The precise way it works however depends on whether you are
on a GNU system (default: use mailcap), MacOSX (use specific applications or
default "open") or Windows (use w32-shell-execute open). All cases are
funnelled through the org-open-file function though, so tracing that
should tell you what's broken. The relevant variables are org-file-apps
and org-file-apps-defaults-{gnu,macosx,windowsnt}.

In my case (Ubuntu 10.10), I get a default "mailcap" map which takes
"text/html" to the entry in the system /etc/mailcap:
"/usr/bin/sensible-browser", a shell script which eventually opens the
file in firefox.

As for opening it in emacs w3m, I don't know how to do that.

Nick

* Re: Re: view in browser
@ 2011-03-01  9:01       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: skip, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nick@dokosmarshall.org> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> skip <scp0801@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser.
>> > Now it just generates the file but not
>> > open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know what changed, but how do I
>> > get back the functionality? Thanks.
>>
>> Assuming you meant =C-c C-e b=, this does not work for me either;
>> however, =C-c C-e d= does work and opens the PDF in docview.  For
>> symmetry, I would have liked =b= to open my html in emacs w3m, I guess?
>>

> As I mentioned, C-c C-e b works fine for me: Org-mode version 7.4
> (release_7.4.530.g3c69).

And it does not work for me with a later version of org mode!

Thanks for the explanation on how the browser to use is identified; I
know this already (although I must admit it was not the most
straightforward thing to figure out initially...).  I have my settings
specified to use x-www-browser by default.

My point above was simply that the actual results are not symmetrical:
as C-c C-e d uses docview to show the PDF despite my mailcap etc
pointing to the use of apvlv for viewing PDF documents.  I don't believe
I have set anything anywhere to tell org to use docview mode.

In any case, it's easy enough for me to open the PDF in Emacs w3m (C-c
C-e p followed by direct invocation of w3m).

[...]

> As for opening it in emacs w3m, I don't know how to do that.

It's one of the options for the browse-url options.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.555.gfcf66)