Well I use biblatex to produce the chicago citations, used pretty widely in the humanities in N. America, and the LaTeX \cite{} commands under that setup take their optional arguments in square brackets. The most frequent optional argument is a page number for the citation, but I also use them for prefixes to the citation, e.g. a footnote which reads "See also Becker, 59" would be generated like this \autocite[59][See also](Becker2010). Scot On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Aidan Gauland wrote: > Alan L Tyree wrote: > > Disable footnotes like [2010], but keep footnotes like [fn:2010] > > > > The reason is that I write legal texts that have references to case law > > that look like: Marreco v Richardson [1908] 2 KB 584. The dates in > > square brackets are an essential part of the reference. > > Perhaps it would be best to determine for what type of writing the current > way > Org handles footnotes is lacking. Is it just academic writing in general, > of > mostly only certain fields? Both Alan and I have needed to use a > workaround > for legal writing (I'm a first-year student; don't know about Alan). What > have other people had trouble footnoting/citing in Org? > > --Aidan > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode > >