Thanks for your response! On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM, John Hendy wrote: > Someone *might* be able to give you a workaround, but the way org-mode > works as far as I can see is that export rules always apply to the children > of a higher-level headline. As such, the subitems of the non-exported TODO > are taken to be notes or things related to the TODO, and since you don't > want the TODO exported it would seem that you don't want the items related > to the TODO exported either. > > Maybe if you explain a situation where you'd not want the actual TODO > exported but still want items under it exported, someone could help you with > a workaround or alternative suggestion? > The situation is one that arguably results from a lack of discipline on my part (hence my interest in org-mode!): I add TODO items to documents I'm writing without much regard as to how they fit into the overall structure of the file. In other words, my TODOs are generally "one-liners" which are sprinkled with abandon throughout the file. Perhaps as I get more familiar with org-mode I will use TODOs in a more structured way, but right now they are not a structured list of tasks but rather a bunch of reminders distributed through a document. Does that make things clearer? Sam > > > John > > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Sam Cramer wrote: > >> When working on a document, I tend to sprinkle TODO headlines throughout >> the doc. These are really very loosely structured; they just represent >> things that I need to do somewhat near the area that I'm looking at. >> >> I mark these lines with a :noexport: tag in order to prevent them from >> being exported. As such, they're not part of the document structure per-se, >> and I often mark them as top level headlines. Since EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS >> applies to a tree and not to a title, this prevents the export of any >> subordinate items. >> >> Here's an example: >> >> * An amazing headline >> ** stuff >> ** more stuff >> * TODO clean up the stuff above :noexport: >> ** this is stuff that I would like exported >> >> >> In the example above, I'd like to have the everything but the TODO >> headline exported, including the "this is stuff I would like exported" line. >> >> I guess that I could always have my TODO lines be at a very deep level. >> Is there any other solution I should consider? >> >> Thanks, >> Sam >> >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Emacs-orgmode mailing list >> Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. >> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org >> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >> >> >