* Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-06 19:58 Julius Gamanyi
From: Julius Gamanyi @ 2011-01-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

On and off reader and first time poster.

The README_GIT advises to discuss the idea before making significant
changes. I already made the changes on my local copy of an old stable
version (org-6.33f) but I hope "better late than never" still applies.

I keep most of my notes as outlines, which is what org-mode has
simplified. I would like to export the outline as pdf but not as an
article or report.

I previously used the latex outline package and added a few
modifications to get the output I liked. I added the changes to an old
stable version of org-mode (org-6.33f), which worked nicely.
The code is on github: https://github.com/juliusgb/emacs-org-tex-outline

I'd like to add the changes to the current development version. I've
searched the mailing lists and the org-issues site for this request or
something similar and nothing turned up. That was my green light.

While adding the changes to the current development code, I ran into an
obstacle: I couldn't find org-install.el even with the find command; but
org-install.el is part of the stable release.
Is org-install.el only added before a stable release or I'm I missing
something else?

Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
directory?
I added the org-latex-outline.el in the lisp directory because all the
other output formats, which depended on org-exp.el, org-install.el were
in the lisp directory. The org-latex-outline.el also depends on
org-latex.el and I wanted to avoid the sorrow of parting them.

Maybe there's a better setup that I can use. I'm all ears.

In addition, I've already signed the appropriate papers with FSF.

Thanks,
Julius

* Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-07  2:22 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-01-07  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Gamanyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Julius,

Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:

> While adding the changes to the current development code, I ran into an
> obstacle: I couldn't find org-install.el even with the find command; but
> org-install.el is part of the stable release.
> Is org-install.el only added before a stable release or I'm I missing
> something else?

You can create lisp/org-install.el with

make lisp/org-install.el

> Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
> directory?

I think only contributions from people who haven't signed the FSF papers
need to be limited to the contrib directory but Bastien or Carsten would
have a more official comment on that.

> I added the org-latex-outline.el in the lisp directory because all the
> other output formats, which depended on org-exp.el, org-install.el were
> in the lisp directory. The org-latex-outline.el also depends on
> org-latex.el and I wanted to avoid the sorrow of parting them.
>
> Maybe there's a better setup that I can use. I'm all ears.
>
> In addition, I've already signed the appropriate papers with FSF.

Great!

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-07  6:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-07  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-orgmode list, Julius Gamanyi

On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Julius,
>
> Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> While adding the changes to the current development code, I ran
>> into an
>> obstacle: I couldn't find org-install.el even with the find
>> command; but
>> org-install.el is part of the stable release.
>> Is org-install.el only added before a stable release or I'm I missing
>> something else?
>
> You can create lisp/org-install.el with
>
> make lisp/org-install.el
>

>> Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
>> directory?
>
> I think only contributions from people who haven't signed the FSF
> papers
> need to be limited to the contrib directory but Bastien or Carsten
> would
> have a more official comment on that.

The contrib directory contains both stuff where no FSF papers
have been signed, and also things where it has not yet been determined
if they are generally useful and if they will be used by a significant
number of people.  Normally such new contributions are added to
contrib/lisp, and then moved to lisp/ once it has been decided to do so.
So I would recommend that your initial patch puts it into contrib/lisp,
with corresponding changes to the org-modules variable in lisp/org.el
and in contrib/README.  And, if you like, documentation on Worg.

This is how I used to handle this - the decision about
org-latex-outline.el will of course be made by Bastien.

One thing: all files in lisp/ must have names which are
unique within the first 8 characters, due to Emacs rules
which require unique names for, I believe, MS-DOS.
org-latex-outline.el would not fulfill this requirement.
Maybe org-ltxol.el or so?  Or maybe even better the code
can eventually simply be integrated into org-latex.el?

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-07  8:36     ` Julius Gamanyi
From: Julius Gamanyi @ 2011-01-07  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-orgmode list

On 7 January 2011 06:40, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>  Hi Julius,
>>
>> Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>  While adding the changes to the current development code, I ran into an
>>> obstacle: I couldn't find org-install.el even with the find command; but
>>> org-install.el is part of the stable release.
>>> Is org-install.el only added before a stable release or I'm I missing
>>> something else?
>>>

>> You can create lisp/org-install.el with
>>
>> make lisp/org-install.el

Thanks, this works and now I can see org-install.el. Since org-install.el is
generated,
I think it's best if I don't change it but make sure that the autoload
comments are
picked up from org-latex-outline.el.

>>> Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
>>> directory?
>>>

>> I think only contributions from people who haven't signed the FSF papers
>> need to be limited to the contrib directory but Bastien or Carsten would
>> have a more official comment on that.
>>

> The contrib directory contains both stuff where no FSF papers
> have been signed, and also things where it has not yet been determined
> if they are generally useful and if they will be used by a significant
> number of people.  Normally such new contributions are added to
> contrib/lisp, and then moved to lisp/ once it has been decided to do so.
> So I would recommend that your initial patch puts it into contrib/lisp,
> with corresponding changes to the org-modules variable in lisp/org.el
> and in contrib/README.  And, if you like, documentation on Worg.

I'll move the patches to contrib/lisp and make the updates.

> This is how I used to handle this - the decision about
> org-latex-outline.el will of course be made by Bastien.
>
> One thing: all files in lisp/ must have names which are
> unique within the first 8 characters, due to Emacs rules
> which require unique names for, I believe, MS-DOS.
> org-latex-outline.el would not fulfill this requirement.
> Maybe org-ltxol.el or so?  Or maybe even better the code
> can eventually simply be integrated into org-latex.el?

If the outline proves useful, then integrating it with org-latex.el would be
much better.
It consists of a copy-and-paste job of the functions
(org-export-as-latex and org-export-latex-make-header) in org-latex.el. It
adds the
\end{outline} to org-export-as-latex and \begin{outline}[enumerate]
to org-export-latex-make-header while removing the table of contents.

It was the easiest thing that worked at the time but not the cleanest.

@ 2011-01-18  9:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-18  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Gamanyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Julius,

Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:

> On and off reader and first time poster.

Welcome on the list!

> I previously used the latex outline package and added a few
> modifications to get the output I liked. I added the changes to an old
> stable version of org-mode (org-6.33f), which worked nicely.
> The code is on github: https://github.com/juliusgb/emacs-org-tex-outline
>
> I'd like to add the changes to the current development version.

Please send a patch to the development version with the change you
propose, many people follow the development version and will be happy
to test your code.

> Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
> directory?

Only useful ones.

> I added the org-latex-outline.el in the lisp directory because all the
> other output formats, which depended on org-exp.el, org-install.el were
> in the lisp directory. The org-latex-outline.el also depends on
> org-latex.el and I wanted to avoid the sorrow of parting them.

We can have contributions in contrib/ that depend on code in lisp/,
requiring core librairies from the contributed package is standard
practice - even for exporters (see contrib/lisp/org2rem.el).

> Maybe there's a better setup that I can use. I'm all ears.

Please let us know about your code!

> In addition, I've already signed the appropriate papers with FSF.

Which will certainly ease things.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-18 12:05   ` Julius Gamanyi
From: Julius Gamanyi @ 2011-01-18 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hi Bastien,

Lately, it's been hectic at work. I'm hoping to get some free time in the
next 2 days to send the patches.

Thanks,

Julius

@ 2011-01-18 15:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Gamanyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hi Julius,

Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:

> Lately, it's been hectic at work. I'm hoping to get some free time in
> the next 2 days to send the patches.

Thanks for the feedback, take your time.

Good luck,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
@ 2011-01-20 17:00       ` Julius Gamanyi
From: Julius Gamanyi @ 2011-01-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode