* Filter scheduled items
@ 2010-09-30  0:16 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-30  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

Is therre a way to create an agenda view which will display only items
that have no been scheduled to a date in the future?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Filter scheduled items
@ 2010-09-30  3:27 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-30  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hmm, org actually does this already.

The problem is that I was filtering by TODO items, and the scheduled
item was the parent of two TODO items (A non-TODO item tagged as
PROJECT).

So now I guess the question is:
Can I make sub-items inherit the schedule information?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Is therre a way to create an agenda view which will display only items
> that have no been scheduled to a date in the future?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: Re: Filter scheduled items
@ 2010-09-30 14:26   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-09-30 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Out of curiosity, how are you doing this in org-mode? I currently use
an inbox and touch each TODO item once to schedule, prioritize, and
file it, but I have to open up my tasks file.

If there is a way to see these in agenda, it would allow me to add
other files to my agenda (files without "inboxes") and schedule them
for completion.

Thanks,
Jeff

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, org actually does this already.
>
> The problem is that I was filtering by TODO items, and the scheduled
> item was the parent of two TODO items (A non-TODO item tagged as
> PROJECT).
>
> So now I guess the question is:
> Can I make sub-items inherit the schedule information?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Marcelo.
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
> <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Is therre a way to create an agenda view which will display only items
>> that have no been scheduled to a date in the future?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcelo.

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Filter scheduled items
@ 2010-09-30 16:58   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-30 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, org actually does this already.
>
> The problem is that I was filtering by TODO items, and the scheduled
> item was the parent of two TODO items (A non-TODO item tagged as
> PROJECT).
>
> So now I guess the question is:
> Can I make sub-items inherit the schedule information?

Yes, by using org-use-property-inheritance. This works when doing a
property search, so you'll have to use tags-todo.

Does this custom command accomplish what you are looking for?

(add-to-list 'org-agenda-custom-commands
	     ;; a todo list with no future items and inherited scheduling info
	     '("x" "No future items" tags-todo "+SCHEDULED<=\"<today>\"/!+TODO"
	       ((org-use-property-inheritance '("SCHEDULED")))))

Best,
Matt

* Re: Filter scheduled items
@ 2010-09-30 17:05     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks Matt, I will try that out and let you know how it goes.

>Out of curiosity, how are you doing this in org-mode? I currently use
>an inbox and touch each TODO item once to schedule, prioritize, and
>file it, but I have to open up my tasks file.

I just add it to the agenda C-c [. Agenda will then show any scheduled
items in the calendar view (C-c a a). Is that what you are asking
about?

Cheerds,

Marcelo.

@ 2010-10-01 12:34       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-01 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Matt Lundin, Org Mode

I meant in particular whether there was a built-in agenda view for
*unscheduled* items.

Jeff

@ 2010-10-01 16:19         ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-10-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org Mode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> I meant in particular whether there was a built-in agenda view for
> *unscheduled* items.

With the following setting...

(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)

...org-todo-list (C-c a t) will show only unscheduled todos.

If you don't want the setting above to apply globally, you could bind it
to a custom command:

(add-to-list 'org-agenda-custom-commands
	     '("u" "Unscheduled" todo ""

@ 2010-10-01 18:45           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-01 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt,

> With the following setting...
>
> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
>
> ...org-todo-list (C-c a t) will show only unscheduled todos.
>
> If you don't want the setting above to apply globally, you could bind it
> to a custom command:
>
> (add-to-list 'org-agenda-custom-commands
>             '("u" "Unscheduled" todo ""
>               ((org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t))))

The function is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Jeff