I do hear you about not wanting to add maintenance overhead to yourself, but when they install the new Emacs, you even then may find you need a more recent recent org-mode release in your home directory. It does come with Emacs, to be sure, but they've been quite conservative about their cutoff dates, so even a brand new Emacs version typically has an org-mode version which has been significantly improved upon. sb On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Nick Dokos wrote: > gerald.jean@dgag.ca wrote: > > > I tried this: > > > > #+LATEX_HEADER: "\usepackage{longtable}" > > > > No effects? > > > > AFAIK, the quotes are not necessary, but the reason it's not > working is indeed that your version of org-mode doesn't know about > LATEX_HEADER at all. > > It was implemented with this commit: > > commit 20364d043a51c3c71493369c58a43b49566dbdaa > Author: Carsten Dominik > Date: Thu Oct 2 15:00:14 2008 +0200 > > Implement #+LATEX_HEADER special. > > Proposed by Austin Frank and apparently also by Russel Adams. > > > which I believe appeared in > > release_6.08 > > Note that the commit is two years old. > > > > > > > > I also looked at the manual to selectively export a part of the org > > > > file. They talk about the "org-export-select-tags" and > > > > "org-export-exclude-tags"; these variables don't even exist? > > > > > > They do. Are you still using that old org version 5.x? If so, well, > > > then maybe there were no such variables. And somewhen in org version > > > 6.x the export facilities were completely rewritten, so I guess you are > > > pretty alone with your problems unless you get a recent version. > > > > For the time being I am stuck with this version. I am sending a request > to > > our IT group to upgrade Emacs to the most recent version for the version > of > > RedHat we have, this should have a more recent version of org-mode, if I > am > > lucky that should be done in a couple weeks. In the mean time I will > > manually add, or exclude, what I want from the exported "*.tex" file. > > > > A couple of weeks?!? And you are not even sure which version of emacs > and org-mode you are going to get? I'd say, build your own: get > emacs/orgmode from the git mirror and build it yourself, install it in > your home directory if necessary. Even if it takes you a week or two to > get it done, at the end of it you'll be much better off at the end of > it. > > If you have a community of users, this might be more difficult, but maybe > you can exercise concerted pressure on your IT dept: they might be more > willing to listen to ten people than to one. > > If you are reasonably comfortable with git and make, it should only take > an hour or so to update/build/install; and assuming you stay with > "released" versions, you will only have to do that every couple of > months. > > In addition, depending on what emacs version you have, you might be able > to run recent org-mode even if your emas is old (certainly on emacs 23, > probably on emacs 22, and just maybe on emacs 21, although I'm not sure > about these). That might be enough for your purposes and it reduces > time requirements to just a few minutes every month or two. > > FWIW, the only use I have of whatever emacs gets installed with a system > is to bootstrap the latest emacs/orgmode: after that, it's deleted (or > at least, never used again). > > Nick > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >