* Beamer and notes blocks
@ 2010-11-28  0:58 Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-28  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Hi all,

Could someone enlighten me as to how to get blocks with the beamer
environment "notes" to show up?

Specifically, I don't want notes to show up in the presentation (the
default, expected behavior), but I would like them to show up in a
speaker notes pdf.

How are you producing speaker notes for your Beamer presentations
using org-export?

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Beamer and notes blocks
@ 2010-11-28 10:59 ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2010-11-28 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Stephen Eglen

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Could someone enlighten me as to how to get blocks with the beamer
> environment "notes" to show up?
>
> Specifically, I don't want notes to show up in the presentation (the
> default, expected behavior), but I would like them to show up in a
> speaker notes pdf.
>
> How are you producing speaker notes for your Beamer presentations
> using org-export?

At the moment, my solution is to add:
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [notes]

into your .org file when you want the beamer notes added, and disable
that line  (e.g. put a space after the hash) when you don't want the
notes included.

Is there another way though?

Stephen

* Re: Re: Beamer and notes blocks
@ 2010-11-28 11:29   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-28 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Eglen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 28, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Could someone enlighten me as to how to get blocks with the beamer
>> environment "notes" to show up?
>>
>> Specifically, I don't want notes to show up in the presentation (the
>> default, expected behavior), but I would like them to show up in a
>> speaker notes pdf.
>>
>> How are you producing speaker notes for your Beamer presentations
>> using org-export?
>
> At the moment, my solution is to add:
> #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [notes]
>
> into your .org file when you want the beamer notes added, and disable
> that line  (e.g. put a space after the hash) when you don't want the
> notes included.
>
> Is there another way though?

I am not sure.  But maybe you could try to specify what a good
interfact for notes would look like?

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Beamer and notes blocks
@ 2010-11-28 11:36     ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2010-11-28 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Stephen Eglen

> > into your .org file when you want the beamer notes added, and disable
> > that line  (e.g. put a space after the hash) when you don't want the
> > notes included.
> >
> > Is there another way though?
>
> I am not sure.  But maybe you could try to specify what a good
> interfact for notes would look like?

Yes, will do.  The approach above is similar to what I do for beamer
slides in .tex, so I'm used to this approach.

I have just used org mode to make beamer slides for several lectures
this term, and once term finishes, I'll think further and write some
notes/examples.

@ 2010-11-28 17:21   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-28 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Eglen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Oh, that's really nice. I'm particularly pleased with the way beamer
writes speaker notes like slides.

One additional thing: I needed to comment out

#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]

before adding

#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [notes]

Maybe that was implied. Just wanted to post for posterity.

Thanks, again!

Jeff