From: John Tait <johngtait@gmail.com>
To: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: "Tag hierarchy" idea
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:27:10 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks Jambunathan K. Your concise summary is correct.

As it stands, selective export from Orgmode is already excellent --
combining both #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: and #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: in various
ways allows for very precise exporting; this is particularly apparent when
dealing with tags at different heading levels.

I am particularly thinking about largish publishing projects, where it would
be less easy to add manage individual tags at the level of the heading.
Building groups of composite tags from small groups of atomic tags, as
needed, and then exporting/excluding those composite tags (plus other atomic
tags) would be a neat way of managing this. The atomic tags could remain
fairly static and the composite tags could be juggled as needed.

Migrating stuff to Orgmode isn't a big deal -- the interesting part is using
the information once it's there.

As I hope is clear, I think Org is fantastic as it stands. For the type of
thing I am (already) doing, the only other real solutions are DITA-based --
and Org is a whole lot more fun.

John