* another (possibly) noob question
@ 2011-03-15  4:15 Filippo A. Salustri
       [not found] ` <AANLkTikL1QM+Mi9dtAutvYGizff5Pj0sfwkTXyCCqAEM@mail.gmail.com>
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-03-15  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So,
I've set org-provide-todo-statistics to t
and org-hierarchical-todo-statistics to nil.
I use a TODO sequence to identify projects.  That is,
(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "REVIEW(r)" "TODO(t)" "ACTIVE(a!)" "WAIT(w@)" "SOMEDAY(s)"
                  "|"
                  "DONE(d)" "CANCELED(c@)")
        (sequence "OPEN(O@!)" "WIP(W!)" "PAUSED(P@!)" "|" "CLOSED(C@!)")
        (sequence "PROJECT(p)" "|" "COMPLETED(x)")
        ))
I then set level 1 headlines to be PROJECT and put [/] at the end of the
headline.
The hope is to see projects at a glance and get the fraction done too.
All is as it should be, but for one thing.
When I toggle or insert within a subtree, the headline for that project
changes from PROJECT to ACTIVE if less than all tasks are done, and DONE if
all tasks are done.
Obviously, I want it to stay PROJECT.

I've spent over an hour trying to figure this one out and I can't.
Anyone got any advice?

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: another (possibly) noob question
@ 2011-03-15 14:54 ` John Hendy
       [not found] ` <AANLkTikL1QM+Mi9dtAutvYGizff5Pj0sfwkTXyCCqAEM@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Filippo A. Salustri
<salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:
> So,
> I've set org-provide-todo-statistics to t
> and org-hierarchical-todo-statistics to nil.
> I use a TODO sequence to identify projects.  That is,
> (setq org-todo-keywords
>       '((sequence "REVIEW(r)" "TODO(t)" "ACTIVE(a!)" "WAIT(w@)" "SOMEDAY(s)"
>                   "|"
>                   "DONE(d)" "CANCELED(c@)")
>         (sequence "OPEN(O@!)" "WIP(W!)" "PAUSED(P@!)" "|" "CLOSED(C@!)")
>         (sequence "PROJECT(p)" "|" "COMPLETED(x)")
>         ))
> I then set level 1 headlines to be PROJECT and put [/] at the end of the
> headline.
> The hope is to see projects at a glance and get the fraction done too.
> All is as it should be, but for one thing.
> When I toggle or insert within a subtree, the headline for that project
> changes from PROJECT to ACTIVE if less than all tasks are done, and DONE if
> all tasks are done.
> Obviously, I want it to stay PROJECT.
> I've spent over an hour trying to figure this one out and I can't.
> Anyone got any advice?

I don't use this, but replicating your example, I don't get the behavior you do.
- I added your todo definitions to my .emacs
- I created a simple top-level headline in a blank file and used C-c
C-t to make it a PROJECT
- I added three second-level headlines and made them all TODOs
- I marked them done one by one and the top level always stayed as a PROJECT

My end result:
,-----
| * PROJECT some project [3/3]
| ** DONE do something
|   CLOSED: [2011-03-15 Tue 09:51]
| ** DONE do something else
|   CLOSED: [2011-03-15 Tue 09:50]
| ** DONE do something further
|   CLOSED: [2011-03-15 Tue 09:49]
`-----

Perhaps list your org-mode version? Others will be able to debug
better than I can. Perhaps start with a simple, blank file as well (or
maybe you already are?). I can't figure out what would trigger it from
PROJECT to the keyword in another sequence without directly specifying
such.

Good luck,
John

@ 2011-03-15 17:20   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-03-15 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for the lack of info.
org version 7.4

I created a new/test org file.  It contains:
* PROJECT aaa
** TODO t1
** TODO t2
* TODO bbb [0/2]
:PROPERTIES:
:CATEGORY: dummy
:END:
** TODO t3
** TODO t4

If I leave out the [/], then all is well.
If I add the [/] at the end of a level 1 heading that WAS a PROJECT, then do
a C-c C-c there to update it, the PROJECT changes to TODO (which is the
nearest KEYWORD both before & after.

I have
org-hierarchical-todo-statistics set to nil cuz I'd like to gather info on
all tasks in the subtree.
org-provide-todo-statistics set to t.

Just as a reminder, I have
(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "REVIEW(r)" "TODO(t)" "ACTIVE(a!)" "WAIT(w@)" "SOMEDAY(s)"
                  "|"
                  "DONE(d)" "CANCELED(c@)")
        (sequence "OPEN(O@!)" "WIP(W!)" "PAUSED(P@!)" "|" "CLOSED(C@!)")
        (sequence "PROJECT(p)" "|" "COMPLETED(x)")
        ))

Can anyone shed light on this?

Cheers.
Fil

--

@ 2011-03-15 17:29     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2011-03-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I could not replicate it.  C-c C-c on [/] at the end of an item with
keyword PROJECT updated the cookie and did not switch the state to
TODO.  Changing a sub-item state to DONE also correctly (and
automagically) updated the cookie.

--
Manish

@ 2011-03-15 21:55   ` Filippo A. Salustri