From: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>
To: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:03:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all

Here is an issue for the quite common work flow of copy pasting some
table columns in a whole from a spreadsheet application into Org
table. For this situation I suggest to provide a better user
information than only the current error message "Stack overflow in
regexp matcher". Reproduce like this:

in a spreadsheet application like OpenOffice.org Calc or Excel:
- create a 1x2 table with two columns A and B
- fill out the fields A1 and B1 with some simple content
- select the columns A and B and copy to clipboard

in a new Org buffer:
- paste from clipboard
- select the line with A1 and B1
- convert the selection to Org table: C-c |
- change A1 to the assignment `=1'
- try to update Org table: C-c C-c

This will produce the above mentioned error message. The reason are
the 65535 lines with a TAB following the Org table that have been
copied when selecting the two first columns A and B in the spreadsheet
application. It can be quite annoying to find this out with only the
current error message and with TABs not made visible so I thought it
would be helpful to point this out in the hope of someone finding a
better user guidance. I'd like to provide a patch by myself but in
this case I don't understand more than to find out that the many TABs
are the problem and have to be removed or to be not copied.

Michael