On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Bastien wrote: > > Now I did a rewrite for some improvements, mainly to support dive in > > and out of headings also in a variant that leaves the visibility of > > siblings. The code is at the end. > > Michael Brand writes: > It tested the code, works nicely - thanks! > > I just noticed two oddities: (1) it has no notion of content, it's just > about headlines, right? Okay, I can always combine `C->' with the usual > TAB command but it's a bit surprising first; Yes, it shows only the structure not the body text. This is exactly what I want. The built-in visibility cycling always expands body text and that makes it nearly useless in most of my documents, which have large amounts of body text under each heading. As soon as you try to do a cycle all you can see is the body text under the heading, none of the subheadings. So the regular visibility cycling is useless at revealing document structure. (For some documents the built-in tab visibility cycling is useful, but for me it's a very limited set.) The focus of Michael's function on headings invites a complementary function that focuses on body text. The function I"m thinking of would toggle body text visibility on a subtree, operating only on the visible headings in the subtree. The other thing that I would like added is to have another step built-in, which in step after last heading level in subtree is revealed it will toggle body text on for all headings in subtree. For example, for a 4 level subtree the C-> operation would go successively like this: a. Reveal headings thru Level 2, b. Reveal headings thru Level 3, c. Reveal headings thru Level 4, d. show body text for all headings in subtree. (2) the first press at C-> > and C-< sets the "content relative view" to 1, whatever the initial > state was. Feels a bit unintuitive to me... > > Yes, I agree, starting from current view depth is a bit of polish that should be added. I'll help with whatever is needed. As I told Michael, I think all of the above can be done fairly easily by creating a new function based the built-in show-children function. Regards, Herb Sitz