* [Use ?] Capture and Refile behavior
@ 2011-03-08 16:25 Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-03-08 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a capture template set to file to refile.org (my default container
for TODO tasks, notes (private, work, journal, blog) or other things.  That
way I can file them out to the right spot later . . especially if I don't
have the file or location setup or am not sure which location I am going to
handle that item under.  However, at times I use C-c C-w and refile them
directly to the location I want them . . . Capture worked different than I
am used to remember working.

So, I used C-c c last night to put a TODO in my agenda for my english
homework

* TODO English Reading Assignments                        :ENGL101:
** TODO Reading assignment 1
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>
** TODO Reading assignment 2
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>
** TODO Reding assignment 3
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>

When I type C-c C-w to refile it into Homework (engl101.org) it files
 ** TODO Reding assignment 3
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>
the last assignement, to the right location
but the
 * TODO English Reading Assignments                        :ENGL101:
** TODO Reading assignment 1
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>
** TODO Reading assignment 2
   DEADLINE:<2011-03-14 19:05>

goes into the refile.org (the default target for the capture template)

In other words, it is only sending, like it is reading from the bottom up
until it hits a headline and then refiling that part but throwing the rest
to the default?  Odd behavior as at times I will catch assignments and make
multiple TODO's (same headline level or lower) in a remember and now that I
am on capture unless I have a TODO for each bucket their isn't a way to pick
the destination..  Or at times I use it for class notes and make a hiearchy
out of that and have the heiarchy it refiled in a date-tree.

Thoughts?  or am I just goofing something up?

Matt

* Re: [Use ?] Capture and Refile behavior
@ 2011-03-08 16:51 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-03-08 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quick answer.

I think you can work around this by refiling however you want, perhaps
with your own wrapper command or a rebinding, then simply C-c C-c the
blank capture buffer.  For example, activate the region.

(I heard that C-c C-w in capture is a special thing that only works on
one thing to be refiled.  This is  be in the manual either way.)

That is what I do and it works perfectly, with no blank line issues.

If this is the issue, maybe the special thing in capture is more of a
newcomer trap than it's worth for experts?

Samuel

--
AIDS 2.0 is here now:
  http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcome-to-kafka-pandemic-two-forces_9182.html

* Re: [Use ?] Capture and Refile behavior
@ 2011-03-08 18:59   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-03-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-03-08, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is what I do and it works perfectly, with no blank line issues.

There might actually be some.  Have not narrowed it down, however.