* About entering latex code in an org file
@ 2010-12-10 15:17 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am new to both emacs and org-mode. Org-mode sounds really cool and I
am trying to use it to make notes for a project. I have some latex
symbols that I need to enter in the file.
As a background:
(1) I read in the manual that for latex code I do not need to enclose
math inside $ $.
(2) I have many words with "_" in the their names, so as mentioned in
the manual, I added
to my .org file.

In fact, the my file is
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parskip}{2ex plus 0.5ex minus 0.2ex}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parindent}{0in}

* TODO Write an aspiration_review function
  The function should do the following:
  1. Investigates if \pi_{g}  \geq  0.05  and \bar{\pi} \geq  ASP_LEVEL

** Investigate if

The problem is that when I export this using 'C-c C- e l' to latex,
some parts that should be enclosed in $ $ sign are not enclosed. This
is the relevant line copied and pasted from the exported .tex file

\item Investigates if $\pi$$_\{g\}$  \geq  0.05  and \bar{\pi} \geq
ASP\_{}LEVEL

Can someone please let me know what is happening?

Thanks very much for all those who have been working on org-mode.

* Re: About entering latex code in an org file
@ 2010-12-10 15:50 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-12-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to both emacs and org-mode. Org-mode sounds really cool and I
> am trying to use it to make notes for a project.

welcome!

>  I have some latex
> symbols that I need to enter in the file.
> As a background:
> (1) I read in the manual that for latex code I do not need to enclose
> math inside $ $.
> (2) I have many words with "_" in the their names, so as mentioned in
> the manual, I added
> to my .org file.
>
> In fact, the my file is
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parskip}{2ex plus 0.5ex minus 0.2ex}
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \setlength{\parindent}{0in}
>
> * TODO Write an aspiration_review function
>   The function should do the following:
>   1. Investigates if \pi_{g}  \geq  0.05  and \bar{\pi} \geq  ASP_LEVEL
>

> ** Investigate if

> The problem is that when I export this using 'C-c C- e l' to latex,
> some parts that should be enclosed in $ $ sign are not enclosed. This
> is the relevant line copied and pasted from the exported .tex file
>
> \item Investigates if $\pi$$_\{g\}$  \geq  0.05  and \bar{\pi} \geq
> ASP\_{}LEVEL
>
> Can someone please let me know what is happening?

You can't have the cake and eat it.

I suggest you to enclose LaTeX parts in \( \) (that are better handled
than $'s) and keep the option

    1. Investigates if \( \pi_{g}  \geq \) 0.05  and \(\bar{\pi} \geq \) ASP_LEVEL

gives:
       Investigates if \( \pi_{g}  \geq \) 0.05  and \(\bar{\pi} \geq \) ASP\_{}LEVEL

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: About entering latex code in an org file
@ 2010-12-10 15:57 ` Pierre de Buyl
From: Pierre de Buyl @ 2010-12-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curiouslearn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am no expert either but I think that the automated detection of
latex snippets (that is, no explicit $) will only enclose in $ parts
that cannot be reproduced in text.

I suggest that if you want a complete expression like \pi_{g}  \geq
0.05 to be translated to $\pi_{g}  \geq  0.05$ instead of $\pi$$_{g}
$  \geq  0.05 you should do the enclosing manually.

HTH,

Pierre

@ 2010-12-10 16:19   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giovannie, thanks very much for the reply. Your solution works well
for latex export.

Is there a way to make it work for the HTML export too? I thought
MathJax would take care of converting it to appropriate html file.
While \pi_g is appropriately converted, \geq is not. Also, \( \)
remain in the HTML. Perhaps, I am asking for too much and please let
me know if that is so. But if there is a way to write math in such a
way that it is compatible with both html and latex, I would like to
learn it.

Thanks again.

@ 2010-12-10 16:22   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-12-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre de Buyl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Pierre,

I tried to enclose it manually, however, the conversion inserts its
own $ signs preceded by a slash. There were some stray $ signs left in
the document after conversion.

Thanks.