* [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-03-29 12:22 joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-03-29 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

https://github.com/jave/inkmacs

Inkmacs integrates Inkscap and Emacs. Interesting for this list is
inkorg-mode which lets you write text in Org mode and update text  in
Inkscape.

It's work in progress with some cmubersome dependencies still.

Maybe it could be mentioned here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/.
--
Joakim Verona

* Re: [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-03-29 13:17 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-03-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Joakim

> https://github.com/jave/inkmacs
>
> Inkmacs integrates Inkscap and Emacs. Interesting for this list is
> inkorg-mode which lets you write text in Org mode and update text  in
> Inkscape.
>
> It's work in progress with some cmubersome dependencies still.
>
> Maybe it could be mentioned here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/.

I have seen the entry for this in EmacsWiki for quite sometime now [1].
It looks quite wonderful.

For a common user who doesn't understand much of Inkmacs, SVG etc etc
what does all this amount to? From the overall description it seems like
it would help create wonderful mashups involving graphics and text
(within or outside of Emacs?). The only thing that comes to my mind is -
animated powerpoint slides and posters may be mindmappers.

Could you please add a couple of lines to this announcement that
summarizes the potentiatlities of your work in a way common Emacs user
can understand?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Inkmacs

* Re: Re: [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-03-29 19:49 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-03-29 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1!

Yours,
Christian

On 3/29/11 6:13 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Joakim wrote:
>> Inkmacs integrates Inkscap and Emacs. Interesting for this list is
>> inkorg-mode which lets you write text in Org mode and update text  in
>> Inkscape.
>
> Thanks Joakim for that announcement
> I would be interested in trying this out but so much bleeding edge
> involves too much blood loss for me :-) ATM
>
> If you keep us posted when things are a little more stable it will be good.

* Re: Re: [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-03-29 19:59   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-03-29 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, joakim

Thanks Joakim!  Look forward to INKMACS and I've been learning more
INKSCAPE since it seems to be the best way to deal with SVG files,
etc.--been reading Kirsanov's "The Book Of Inkscape"--great stuff.

@ 2011-03-29 20:49   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:49:16 +0200
Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:

> On 3/29/11 6:13 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Joakim wrote:
> >> Inkmacs integrates Inkscap and Emacs. Interesting for this list is
> >> inkorg-mode which lets you write text in Org mode and update text
> >> in Inkscape.
> >
> > Thanks Joakim for that announcement
> > I would be interested in trying this out but so much bleeding edge
> > involves too much blood loss for me :-) ATM
> >
> > If you keep us posted when things are a little more stable it will
> > be good.

Wonderful!! I am also looking forward to this becoming more stable (on
the inkscape side i.e.). I will try it out after that. Given that I am
just awful at "drawing with the mouse" even though I am pretty good
with pencil and paper, this will be an amazing substitute. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-03-29 22:25   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-03-29 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Joakim
>
>> https://github.com/jave/inkmacs>
>> Inkmacs integrates Inkscap and Emacs. Interesting for this list is
>> inkorg-mode which lets you write text in Org mode and update text  in
>> Inkscape.
>>
>> It's work in progress with some cmubersome dependencies still.
>>
>> Maybe it could be mentioned here:
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/.
>
> I have seen the entry for this in EmacsWiki for quite sometime now [1].
> It looks quite wonderful.
>
> For a common user who doesn't understand much of Inkmacs, SVG etc etc
> what does all this amount to? From the overall description it seems like
> it would help create wonderful mashups involving graphics and text
> (within or outside of Emacs?). The only thing that comes to my mind is -
> animated powerpoint slides and posters may be mindmappers.
>
> Could you please add a couple of lines to this announcement that
> summarizes the potentiatlities of your work in a way common Emacs user
> can understand?
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Inkmacs

Maybe this scenario helps?

- start out with an Org mode text tree
- M-X inkmacs-edit This binds the tree to an Inkscape instance
- C-M-x will copy the Org mode text tree to Inkscape and bind each node
to an Inkscape text node. The default layout will be ugly
- Drag around the text nodes as you please and add graphics
- Edit the Org mode text tree and update the text nodes in Inkscape
again with C-M-x

I use this for things like mindmaps.

There are more possibilities but the above scenario should give a hint
anymay.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: [ANN] Inkmacs
@ 2011-04-28 21:34     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-04-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

This is *really* cool. That's what I love about org and the org
community in general.

Orgmode is by far the best PIM *framework/platform* out there, and
this is what we need, more integrations (as well as more pre-packaged
org solutions).

Evernote is nice and just works, but I'd never leave org, I'm hooked :)

Something that I'm using and that works well is the iimage mode, it
allows for image embedding and rendering (real-time) on the emacs
buffer, no need to export.

A question if you guys allow me: What are the other solutions that
allow you to "draw" from org? Either export or real-time based. I'd
love to see more that allows rendering on the buffer, in real-time

Cheers,

Marcelo.