* org and Things.app - next actions and sorting items
@ 2010-09-29 17:02 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-29 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I've taken a break of org for two weeks and started using Things.app
on OSX. It is a great app, simple and effective. However, nothing
comes close to the simplicity and powerfulness of org, mainly for
someone used to emacs. I came back to org and felt at home.

With org, I have a gtd.org file, that lists projects (items tagged as
:PROJECT:) and actionable items (Any item with a TODO). I have other
several tags for the TODO items such as :CALL:, :HOME:, :PERSONAL:,
:WORK:, etc. I then use the agenda to slice and dice as I wish, the
global todo list being the one I use the most (and sometimes
restricting this same view by tags).

One thing that I miss though is the concept of a ubiquitous Next
Actions list. I know it is simply a list, and filtering in the agenda
for TODO items could be the equivalente of that, *except* that with
Things I can reorder as I will, so, I was constantly putting the very
next action list at the top and would eventually re-negotiate this
decision throughout the day. With org, though, re-ordering is clunkier
and takes more time. I could of course, just re-order directly on my
gtd.org file, but I have a bit of additional noise there that I don't
want (non-todo items, specifically items tagged as projects).

I wonder if it would be possible to re-order  directly on the agenda
buffer, move an item up or down?

Anyway, food for thought :)

Marcelo.

* Re: org and Things.app - next actions and sorting items
@ 2010-09-29 18:04 ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-09-29 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> I wonder if it would be possible to re-order  directly on the agenda
> buffer, move an item up or down?
>
> Anyway, food for thought :)

First thought: properties. Second thought: many different agenda
views. Conclusion: not so easy *in general* but not impossible.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: org and Things.app - next actions and sorting items
@ 2010-09-29 18:59   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-09-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I agree with Lukasz. My first reaction was to use priorities, but use
them only for ordering. I can't find the variable in my .emacs file at
the moment, but I know the agenda can order tasks by priority. You
could set all your next actions to priority [#A] and they'll float to
the top of the agenda list on a refresh.

Jeff

2010/9/29 Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl>:
> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>> I wonder if it would be possible to re-order  directly on the agenda
>> buffer, move an item up or down?
>>
>> Anyway, food for thought :)
>
> First thought: properties. Second thought: many different agenda
> views. Conclusion: not so easy *in general* but not impossible.
>
> --
> Miłego dnia,
> Łukasz Stelmach

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Re: org and Things.app - next actions and sorting items
@ 2010-09-29 19:07     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

Yeah, I love the simplicity of orgmode, and since I spend a lot of
time in emacs, it is just natural to catpure and review stuff there,
and very fast too. However, sometimes I do miss the simplicity of flow
a more modern and polished GUI can offer.

Thanks for the tips,

Marcelo.