* camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-03 15:36 David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2010-08-03 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el

Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working code.
Anyone want to try?

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-03 16:27 ` Bastien
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:

> http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
>
> Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working code.

I'm willing to test.

Can you provide the handlers so that the code works for Org?

I'm not a big fan of CamelCase links because it encourages the habit of
creating many files -- but that may be useful for some.

 Bastien

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-04 20:50   ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-08-04 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Le mardi 03 août 2010 à 18:27 +0200, Bastien a écrit :
> "David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
> >
> > Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working code.

Looks promising. Thanks.

> I'm willing to test.
>
> Can you provide the handlers so that the code works for Org?

I'd too like to be able to test too... provided I knew how to ;) ... any
hints on how to integrate it ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

P.S. what's the Folio project ?
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-04 22:28   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2010-08-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 3,2010, at 9:27 AM, Bastien wrote:

> "David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
>> Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working code.
>
> I'm not a big fan of CamelCase links because it encourages the habit of
> creating many files -- but that may be useful for some.

I'm on the fence about that one. I would definitely love an easier way to create remote files and headings. This might help with the file end of that.

A question for people people on the list: I'm not sure of the conventions with CamelCase and wikis (and a quick search didn't reveal the answer), but I'm wondering what might work to complete the model — that is to say include creation of remote headings as well as remote files. For example, perhaps using the # sign convention, we would write 'CamelCase#usage' and the first part would act as has been described. The second part (after the # sign) would reference a (top level?) heading in that file. If the heading existed, then great. If not, then it's created as part of the same trigger.

Perhaps this is all old hat, but I couldn't dig up answers for myself, so I thought I would run it by you all.

— Michael

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-05  5:36     ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2010-08-05  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Le mercredi 04 août 2010 à 15:28 -0700, Michael Gilbert a écrit :

> A question for people people on the list: I'm not sure of the
> conventions with CamelCase and wikis (and a quick search didn't reveal
> the answer), but I'm wondering what might work to complete the model —
> that is to say include creation of remote headings as well as remote
> files. For example, perhaps using the # sign convention, we would
> write 'CamelCase#usage' and the first part would act as has been
> described. The second part (after the # sign) would reference a (top
> level?) heading in that file. If the heading existed, then great. If
> not, then it's created as part of the same trigger.

I think that's the way I would expect it to work in most wikis (or with
[[CamelCase#usage]] maybe for some.

Best regards,
--

@ 2010-08-05 10:02     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-08-05 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:
> On Aug 3,2010, at 9:27 AM, Bastien wrote:
>
>> "David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
>>> Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working code.
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of CamelCase links because it encourages the habit of
>> creating many files -- but that may be useful for some.
>
> I'm on the fence about that one. I would definitely love an easier way
> to create remote files and headings. This might help with the file end
> of that.

(Return key broken? No auto-fill-mode?)

I don't see why typing

  [[file:xy.org]]

and

  `C-b C-c C-0'

to follow that link is to much.

How about a function like this (just a quick hack):

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 940 bytes --]

and bind it to a sensible key, e.g

   `C-c M-l'

This avoids any problems with camel case syntax and is easy to use.

The function does not use the default link method yet (i.e. ID
locations) but I couldn't make that work yet.

  Sebastian

* Syntax to trigger org-capture (Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links)
@ 2010-08-06  9:06       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-06  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you think of CamelCase and on-the-fly creating of non-existing
files/headlines, it's just another way of *capturing* stuff.

Why not defining some simple syntax to trigger the capture mechanism
from special links?

For example:

  "I write a reference to a >c:newfile which I can create later."

- The ">c:newfile" is a link.
- The ">c" is a link abbreviation.
- The ">" part is the syntax for link abbrevations to trigger a capture.
- The "c" part is the keybinding of capture template to call.
- The "newfile" would be passed on as a variable for the (nth 3) of the
  template (we could have several variables separated by "#"

This would combine the flexibility of on-the-fly file creation and of
the capture mechanism, allowing multiple templates.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Syntax to trigger org-capture (Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links)
@ 2010-08-07  6:31         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-07  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 6, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Bastien wrote:

> When you think of CamelCase and on-the-fly creating of non-existing
> files/headlines, it's just another way of *capturing* stuff.
>
> Why not defining some simple syntax to trigger the capture mechanism
> from special links?
>
> For example:
>
>  "I write a reference to a >c:newfile which I can create later."
>
> - The ">c:newfile" is a link.
> - The ">c" is a link abbreviation.
> - The ">" part is the syntax for link abbrevations to trigger a
> capture.
> - The "c" part is the keybinding of capture template to call.
> - The "newfile" would be passed on as a variable for the (nth 3) of
> the
>  template (we could have several variables separated by "#"
>
> This would combine the flexibility of on-the-fly file creation and of
> the capture mechanism, allowing multiple templates.

This is a pretty smart idea, going through capture for this.
It would have the advantage that the new entry could be created
without having to switch buffers.

I just did push a change where

    [[file:xyz.org::My new heading]]

will create a new entry when activated - but I will think about going
through capture.

Thanks!

- Carsten

> What do you think?
>
> --
> Bastien

- Carsten

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-08-07  6:47   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-07  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 3, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Bastien wrote:

> "David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://github.com/dto/folio/blob/master/camel.el
>>
>> Someone asked about this recently, i have some partially working
>> code.
>
> I'm willing to test.
>
> Can you provide the handlers so that the code works for Org?
>
> I'm not a big fan of CamelCase links because it encourages the habit
> of
> creating many files -- but that may be useful for some.

I am not a big fan of CamelCase for two reasons:

1. as Bastien says, to creates many small files.  Org does work
    with a number of files - I think it is less than perfect for a very
    large number of files.  If you want to create many files, David
O'Toole's
    implementation might work for you - also it is not limited to Org
files.

2. Using CamelCase does encourage to write stuff in strange, hard to
    read syntax which conflicts with some words or names that should not
    be spelled like this, and which also does not look very good on
export.
    THis is why most wikis have either stepped away from CamelCase, or
added
    additional syntax, for example with brackets.

In fact, for Org mode, it seems more natural to use outline nodes for
the
structure of a wiki, not files.  Russel Adams suggested this in another
thread:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27442/focus=27465

With the change I just made to make [[..]] links match exact headlines
and
to offer headline creation when no match is found, I do find it simple
enough to type [[My Heading]] or [[file:xyz.org::My Heading]]

I have toyed with CamelCase in the past though.  And since there seems
to be at least some interest, I have just wrapped this code into a
contributed package and linked it properly into the hyperlink and
export mechanisms in Org.  The modules is called org-wikinodes.el
and it is documented here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-wikinodes.php

- Carsten

* Re: camel.el, for CamelCase links
@ 2010-09-13 17:45     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys -- I have pulled the last version from the repo which include
org-wikinodes, but I don't see the line for the org-wikinodes module
when customizing the org-modules variable. What should I do?

Marcelo.

@ 2010-09-15 18:56       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

*bump*

@ 2010-09-19 21:40         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-19 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> *bump*
>
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
> <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys -- I have pulled the last version from the repo which include
>> org-wikinodes, but I don't see the line for the org-wikinodes module
>> when customizing the org-modules variable. What should I do?

wikinode is available from the `org-modules' variable since july 16th.

Maybe you're not using Org from where you're pulling the git repo?

--
 Bastien