* Org-Babel - Clojure & Lazy Sequences Bug
@ 2010-11-04 14:11 Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have the following org file:

#+BEGIN_SRC clojure
(range 10)
#+END_SRC

#+results:
: clojure.lang.LazySeq@f35bf8c6

Where as I would expect to see the sequence.  Evaluating the code
inside a doall doesn't seem to do anything either:

#+BEGIN_SRC clojure
(doall (range 10))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
: clojure.lang.LazySeq@f35bf8c6

Is there any parameter I can pass to the block to get the code to
execute in a doall and return the sequence values rather than the
lazy-seq object itself?

R.

* Re: Org-Babel - Clojure & Lazy Sequences Bug
@ 2010-11-06 17:58 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-06 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rick,

I've noticed this as well.  I'm not the original author of ob-clojure.el
(Joel Boehland is), so I'm not sure how the clojure interaction
currently works, although I know it makes heavy usage of slime.  There
must be an existing mechanism used by slime to unroll these lazy
evaluations, for example in the repl (range 10) *is* expanded

user> (range 10)
(0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)

I'm using clojure extensively in my studies so I have all the more
reason to try to figure this out.  I'll put this on my stack.

BTW: I've noticed that I am unable to get Clojure code blocks to play
nicely with existing slime sessions, say for example I have some large
piece of data in scope in a slime sessions and I'd like to access that
data from a clojure code block and dump some analysis to an Org-mode
document.  I have not yet found out how to make this work.  If you have,
I'd love to hear how, otherwise I'll look into this as well.

Best -- Eric

Having just looked at this quickly, the following function over-defines
`org-babel-execute:clojure' s.t.  the body of the code block is sent to
the superior list in the same manner as when calling `slime-eval-defun'
from within a .clj file.  While this doesn't handle starting up clojure
instances or differentiate between session and external evaluation it
should fix the issues mentioned above and could be the beginning of a
permanent solution.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun org-babel-execute:clojure (body params)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert body)
      (read
       (slime-eval
        `(swank:interactive-eval-region
          ,(buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))
#+end_src

which then results in

#+begin_src clojure
  (map (fn [el] (list el (* el el))) (range 10))
#+end_src

evaluating to

#+results:
| 0 |  0 |
| 1 |  1 |
| 2 |  4 |
| 3 |  9 |
| 4 | 16 |
| 5 | 25 |
| 6 | 36 |
| 7 | 49 |
| 8 | 64 |
| 9 | 81 |

@ 2010-11-24  1:51   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-24  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I can confirm the fix you quoted below works for me also.

I've not been using any of the multiple session features, so I haven't
run into the other problems you mention.

Any idea on what a more permanent solution might be?

R.

@ 2010-11-25 17:40     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joel Boehland

Hi Rick,

I'm not quite sure what the best permanent solution would be.  I'm
tempted to switch to a drastically stripped down version of Clojure
interaction which relies very heavily on slime.  I'm attaching a first
pass at this which allows for slime-based execution, can assign
variables, handles lazy evaluation, etc...

The downside to this new version is that it doesn't support buffer-based
sessions or external evaluation, but the upside is that it is incredibly
simple, and by relying so heavily on slime it should be very robust.

Once this is enhanced with some code to start slime, and a simple
:session setup (namely the ability to grab the slime context from a
buffer specified by :session) I may prefer this to the existing
ob-clojure.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.  Personally I'm happy to
lose external evaluation and switch to purely slime-based evaluation,
but I don't want to trash it if it is an important part of someones work
flow.

Best -- Eric

[-- Attachment #2: ob-clojure.el --]

@ 2010-11-25 18:31       ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joel Boehland

Hey Eric,

I've just run your ob-clojure, and it seems to work fine, though as
you mention it would be nice if it'd start slime (if it isn't already
running).

I'm not sure what you mean by "external evaluation", but have found
that if I do M-x slime-connect (to connect to an existing
clojure/swank vm) that I have access to the same vm, via the
*slime-repl* buffer, which is nice.  Is this what you were referring
to, or was it something else?

Having access to other sessions seems like a useful feature, but I've
not begun to use these more advanced babel features.

Anyway, great work; I really appreciate you working on this!

R.

@ 2010-11-26 20:29         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-26 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joel Boehland

Hey Rick,

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Eric,
>
> I've just run your ob-clojure, and it seems to work fine, though as
> you mention it would be nice if it'd start slime (if it isn't already
> running).

Alright, I'm going to fold this into the master branch (we'll still have
the entirety of the existing ob-clojure in git for resurrection if need
be).

> I'm not sure what you mean by "external evaluation", but have found
> that if I do M-x slime-connect (to connect to an existing
> clojure/swank vm) that I have access to the same vm, via the
> *slime-repl* buffer, which is nice.  Is this what you were referring
> to, or was it something else?

So what I mean was execution outside of slime, e.g. by writing a code
block to a temporary file and then executing that file with clj-env or
some such Clojure scripting command.  However the more I think about
this the more I'm satisfied with slime, as it allows access to both
local and remote virtual machines...

> Having access to other sessions seems like a useful feature, but I've
> not begun to use these more advanced babel features.
>
> Anyway, great work; I really appreciate you working on this!

My pleasure, I use Clojure from within Org-mode files on a regular basis
(these days I'm probably writing more Clojure than elisp), so this helps
me too.

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-11-26 20:53           ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joel Boehland

On 26 November 2010 20:29, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright, I'm going to fold this into the master branch (we'll still have
> the entirety of the existing ob-clojure in git for resurrection if need
> be).

That's great news!

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "external evaluation", but have found
>> that if I do M-x slime-connect (to connect to an existing
>> clojure/swank vm) that I have access to the same vm, via the
>> *slime-repl* buffer, which is nice.  Is this what you were referring
>> to, or was it something else?
>>

> So what I mean was execution outside of slime, e.g. by writing a code
> block to a temporary file and then executing that file with clj-env or
> some such Clojure scripting command.  However the more I think about
> this the more I'm satisfied with slime, as it allows access to both
> local and remote virtual machines...

Yeah, Slime is great in this regard...

>> Having access to other sessions seems like a useful feature, but I've
>> not begun to use these more advanced babel features.
>>
>> Anyway, great work; I really appreciate you working on this!
>
> My pleasure, I use Clojure from within Org-mode files on a regular basis
> (these days I'm probably writing more Clojure than elisp), so this helps
> me too.

Well if it's your pleasure then I have another feature request for you :-)

Basically it looks like the different :results types haven't yet been
implemented...  The one I was missing was 'code'  e.g. the following
works for elisp:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results code
  '(+ 10 1)
#+end_src

displaying:

#+results:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(+ 10 1)
#+END_SRC

But in clojure I get:

#+begin_src clojure :results code
  '(+ 10 1)
#+end_src

#+results:
| + | 10 | 1 |

I looked at implementing this myself, ontop of your recent changes, by
running it through edebug, which I've only begun to discover, but I
couldn't work it out in the hour I spent looking at it.  Any
suggestions on where I should look to fix this?

@ 2010-11-26 22:49             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-26 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Joel Boehland

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> Basically it looks like the different :results types haven't yet been
> implemented...  The one I was missing was 'code'  e.g. the following
> works for elisp:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results code
>   '(+ 10 1)
> #+end_src
>
> displaying:
>
> #+results:
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (+ 10 1)
> #+END_SRC
>
> But in clojure I get:
>
> #+begin_src clojure :results code
>   '(+ 10 1)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> | + | 10 | 1 |

I've just pushed up an implementation of this feature.  It uses
Clojure's pretty printer which has different settings for printing code
and data.  This can be controlled through use of the "code" (for code)
and "pp" (for data) arguments to :results, here's example output with
the new implementation.

#+begin_src clojure :results pp
  '(defn cl-format
     "An implementation of a Common Lisp compatible format function"
     [stream format-in & args]
     (let [compiled-format (if (string? format-in) (compile-format format-in) format-in)
           navigator (init-navigator args)]
       (execute-format stream compiled-format navigator)))
#+end_src

#+results:
#+begin_example
(defn
 cl-format
 "An implementation of a Common Lisp compatible format function"
 [stream format-in & args]
 (let
  [compiled-format
   (if (string? format-in) (compile-format format-in) format-in)
   navigator
   (init-navigator args)]
  (execute-format stream compiled-format navigator)))
#+end_example

@ 2010-11-27  8:27               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-11-27  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
> I've just pushed up an implementation of this feature.

I'm afraid byte-compile doesn't like it:

In org-babel-expand-body:clojure:
ob-clojure.el:63:26:Warning: reference to free variable `result-params'

:-)

Achim.

* Re: Re: Org-Babel - Clojure & Lazy Sequences Bug
@ 2010-11-27 15:20                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-27 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fixed, Thanks -- Eric

@ 2010-11-28 23:23                   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-28 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hey Eric, thanks for the changes...  I tried them locally and they
didn't work as some of the pprint functions you were using weren't
fully qualified.  I've attached a small patch with the fixes.

Also it's worth noting for anyone else that clojure 1.2.0(+) is
required for this to work.

Thanks again for working on this,

R.

On 27 November 2010 15:20, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fixed, Thanks -- Eric
>
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I've just pushed up an implementation of this feature.
>>
>> I'm afraid byte-compile doesn't like it:
>>
>> In org-babel-expand-body:clojure:
>> ob-clojure.el:63:26:Warning: reference to free variable `result-params'
>>

>> :-)
>>

>> Achim.

[-- Attachment #2: ob-clojure.patch --]

From 4c05743905a1ab3970d7f5075440e67e1be9d7f3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Rick Moynihan <rick@wgrids.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:21:02 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Fixed babel pretty printing, by fully qualifying function names

---
 lisp/ob-clojure.el |    2 +-

diff --git a/lisp/ob-clojure.el b/lisp/ob-clojure.el
index e41bf15..a5e8c72 100644
--- a/lisp/ob-clojure.el
+++ b/lisp/ob-clojure.el
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
     (if (or (member "code" result-params)
 	    (member "pp" result-params))
 	(format (concat "(let [org-mode-print-catcher (java.io.StringWriter.)]"
-			"(with-pprint-dispatch %s-dispatch"
+			"(clojure.pprint/with-pprint-dispatch clojure.pprint/%s-dispatch"
 			"(clojure.pprint/pprint %s org-mode-print-catcher)"
 			"(str org-mode-print-catcher)))")
 		(if (member "code" result-params) "code" "simple") body)
--
1.7.0.4

* Re: Re: Org-Babel - Clojure & Lazy Sequences Bug
@ 2010-11-29  3:59                     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rick,

Thanks for catching this, I've just pushed up your fix.

-- Eric